Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  anyone done a C4 front suspention conversion into a Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
anyone done a C4 front suspention conversion into a Fiero? by dobie1
Started on: 12-02-2018 11:55 AM
Replies: 14 (1102 views)
Last post by: dobie1 on 12-09-2018 06:43 PM
dobie1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this is even a option ....
I need to widen my front suspension for the body I built. I could get a wide track from West coast but I have the big brake corvette conversion with adapters and wheel spacers to convert to my Ferrari wheels . I would like to eliminate some if not all of the headaches and simplify . Plus give me a much stronger front end hopefully in the end.
Any comments or help much appreciated.
Wayne

[This message has been edited by dobie1 (edited 12-02-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
G-Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-ManSend a Private Message to G-ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've thought about this myself. There are vendors out there that offer weld-in cross-members for doing this to older cars and trucks. I wonder if they might be cooperative enough to send you some diagrams so you could measure and compare dimensions. There is an early C4 and a late C4. I forget what they did exactly and what years but there are differences between them.

Gary
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Gary
Thanks for the reply, I’m doing research right now hoping to to gather all the information I’ll post what I find.
If you find anything let me know.
Wayne
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Wayne,
I looked at it a number of years ago, before my 88 swap. I might even have some Vette drawings around. Anyway, it looked like a MAJOR undertaking, and you know me, I don't shy away from different or difficult. If I recall correctly, the Vette suspension points are actually narrower than the Fiero so a custom cross member would be needed, so there's no potential to use the Vette cross member. If there is no plan to use the cross member, then you could use just about any suspension parts.

Let me know if I should dig up the drawings.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Reference photos for you.

Bob
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob
It’s been awhile!
As always thanks for the input it’s always appreciated. I fell into this front end ,it’s complete including the steering which I’ve seen a few guys are converting to in the construction zone.
I have to get my car up in the air and start to take some measurements ,I really would like to use the Kmember from the Vette in the build as it would really simplify mounting everything . I’m wondering if one could cut the Kmember and widen it or shorten as needed? I think if this could work it would be a very stable suspension highly upgradable.
I’ve spoken with Chris over at WCF and can get the custom front suspension from them but I’m still dealing with narrow attachment points and I don’t think as strong as the Vette suspension.
I was taking to Don last week and he has volunteered to design and help me build a custom front suspension which in the end may well be the direction I end up going.
On a side note I’m just building the mold of the 308 dash I have . I want to have something other than a new dash to hack up in my effort to put the Ferrari 550 dash pod in my 288. If you need a dash for your build I could do one up for you.

And as for specs you might have please anything you can find would be appreciated.
Email me dobie44@hotmail.com .

Wayne
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you could do is reuse the original Fiero subframe and have custom A-arms manufactured to adapt from those mounting points to the Vette Spindles. Approx' 8 years ago I was thinking of using Solstice spindles/brakes and doing this same thing with custom A-arms.
If I read correctly (Doubtful!) I believe you want to have a wider track....This would allow the custom A-arms to grow in length.

Another (Crazier) idea that I am still mulling is to lower the upper A-arm mounting point...similar to what Shelby did to the early GT350 Mustangs, which would improve the camber curve. On the Mustangs it was very simple.....Just pull the shock. spring, un-do the upper A-arm from the spring tower, then drill the mounting holes 1" lower and re-install everything. On the Fiero, where the upper A-arm mounts in a tube >>On TOP<< of the crossmember, it is a more difficult proposition; My plan is to drill thru the crossmember to mount the tube below the spring perch....Then use the spiral of the spring to clear the mounting tube.....Luckily, I have a spare crossmember to experiment with. (This is on an early front suspension- the 88s would not allow this mod)
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May also want to talk with Eric @ kitcarchassis.com... He is very knowledgeable and good guy to talk to...

------------------
3800sc plug and play harnesses for sale.

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

What you could do is reuse the original Fiero subframe and have custom A-arms manufactured to adapt from those mounting points to the Vette Spindles. Approx' 8 years ago I was thinking of using Solstice spindles/brakes and doing this same thing with custom A-arms.
If I read correctly (Doubtful!) I believe you want to have a wider track....This would allow the custom A-arms to grow in length.

Another (Crazier) idea that I am still mulling is to lower the upper A-arm mounting point...similar to what Shelby did to the early GT350 Mustangs, which would improve the camber curve. On the Mustangs it was very simple.....Just pull the shock. spring, un-do the upper A-arm from the spring tower, then drill the mounting holes 1" lower and re-install everything. On the Fiero, where the upper A-arm mounts in a tube >>On TOP<< of the crossmember, it is a more difficult proposition; My plan is to drill thru the crossmember to mount the tube below the spring perch....Then use the spiral of the spring to clear the mounting tube.....Luckily, I have a spare crossmember to experiment with. (This is on an early front suspension- the 88s would not allow this mod)

Yes I need I need to move my wheels out 2” total each side, if I used the corvette spindles I could then eliminate using the big brake adapters on fiero spindles(which has the lower nut hitting the steering knuckle ,another problem eliminated) but if I’m going that route and going with a custom upper and lowers I may as well use a set of Ferrari 348 front hubs I have along with 13” Ferrari rotors and Brembo brakes . This would eliminate any adapters .
I never even thought of the mustang fix I need to think outside the box🤔 thanks for your input though much appreciated
Wayne
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobie1

450 posts
Member since Jun 2005

Originally posted by jb1:

May also want to talk with Eric @ kitcarchassis.com... He is very knowledgeable and good guy to talk to...

Thanks jb I’ll look into that!
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Wayne, I may take you up on the offer (someday )

What year chassis are you using? if it's an 88 or 88 front suspension, I solved the rotor issue using 13" Ford Cobra rotors. there's a thread somewhere.

I have a little bit better version of the posted image in pdf format if you need. I'll look for anything else.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Oh, btw, you need to show it can be done because my local yard just put out an 85 Vette.

Bob
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob
My car is a 87 GT So lots of limitations on availability of upgrades. I could get a 88 but if I’m going the custom route not much need.

I hope to get the car in soon and start taking some measurements, thanks for the drawings BTW.

Wayne

ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a C4 swap on my old '79 Vette. I went through http://www.ikerds.com/ all the parts were in pretty good shape.

[This message has been edited by ZCR1 (edited 12-09-2018).]

dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ZCR1 for the input and link

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock