Fiero vs Supercharged MR2 video by formulaWA
Started on: 11-28-2018 12:05 AM
Replies: 5 (320 views)
Last post by: tshark on 12-01-2018 07:48 AM
formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. This magazine preferred the Formula over the supercharged MR2

Formula vs MR2
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am always frustrated at the way the Car mags treated the Fiero.....Motor Trend was relatively neutral, but R&T and especially Car & Drivel, both raved about the car early on, then went down hill until in 88, with the car finally having it's proper suspension and a 5spd with the V6, bombed the car completely. C&D was very obviously on the take from Toyo-pet....Motorweek seemed more neutral.

What was especially maddening was that in 1989, after having successfully killed the Fiero, both R&T and C&D tested the MR2 and complained about how tail-happy it was...."Dangerous Drop-Throttle oversteer".....Toyo-pet was no longer paying them to praise the MR2.

I have owned my 85 since new.....Have almost never had problems with it, and have had a ball driving it...as a commuter and on trips around the western US.....And now, with the 3.4 F-body conversion, 5 spd, and 88 rear subframe and brakes, I was able to beat an S2000 around a Cone-course....The guy had just stepped up from his Miata racer, so he actually knew how to drive a course. He was cool and interested in my mods, but his friend was a typical T-onda fanboy...."Look out! It;s going to catch fire!!!!"
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to watch the video when, in the first 30 seconds, he refers to the Formula as a Fiero GT and notes its new power steering.

EDIT: I guess it does mention the electric power steering is delayed until at least next spring, LOL.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 11-29-2018).]

formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two points in the video

The MR2 costs almost 50% more than the Formula. They should have tested it against the non supercharged MR2. For way less than the $5000 price difference GM could have added the turbo Buick 3.8 of that era and I am certain that the Fiero would have beat the Toyota (or any other car of that era) in a drag race

Assuming both cars were using OEM tires the performance tires that came stock on the MR2 were far better than the Fiero all seasons GT+4. If the Fiero had had an equivalent tire I can see the Fiero equally or besting the MR2 on the track and widening the braking performance gap over the MR2
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was surprised that they didn't mention the Fiero's 2.8s lack of power above 4.5K?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

i was surprised that they didn't mention the Fiero's 2.8s lack of power above 4.5K?

The biggest boom comes above 6K.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 12-01-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock