Different auto shift knobs? by Mavrick1798
Started on: 11-25-2018 09:05 PM
Replies: 13 (352 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 01-08-2019 06:51 PM
Mavrick1798

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mavrick1798Click Here to Email Mavrick1798Send a Private Message to Mavrick1798Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wondering if any of you with an automatic Fiero have swapped the shift knob to something different and if you have post a picture of what you did! Looking to see what style would look best.

IP: Logged

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These threads have quite a few options with pictures.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-087166.html
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132133.html
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138059.html
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084011.html

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalClick Here to Email Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just ordered this one. Only one I could find in brown.

Mavrick1798

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mavrick1798Click Here to Email Mavrick1798Send a Private Message to Mavrick1798Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Habanera Hal, that looks amazing! Perfect for my interior do you have a link to the site you got it from or a part #?

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 275
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't like the stock T-bar shifter either. Most others sometimes look oversized for the Fiero's console.

I went with an 84 Corvette dark-grey leather wrapped shifter and shortened the steel shaft by 1-inch.
The knob matches the dark-grey of the interior. I got a new soft-leather shift boot from Dickman.
Sitting on the shelf now because I swapped to a Getrag 5-speed.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalClick Here to Email Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maverick, PM sent.

couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, it is a bit(?) of work, but I did this. Yes, it’s an automatic.

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2019 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Easiest upgrade I ever did to any of my cars.....replaced the Formula's thumb-button shift knob with one from a GTP swap donor car. 30 seconds, one tool. The GTP knob button is on the front, so it activates with your fingertips in the same smooth pull-back motion used to shift out of park.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (DD)
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix L26 (Wife's DD)

lou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2019 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 01-06-2019).]

migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for migsClick Here to Email migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How do you shorten the shaft of the shifter?

lou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by migs:

How do you shorten the shaft of the shifter?

Measure the length you need and mark it then use a tubing cutter to make it an even cut the automatic shaft is hollow. Remember to remove the inner plastic push rod and also cut it to function with the new shift knob. It takes careful planning to make it work right.

migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for migsClick Here to Email migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I actually have that tool, cut both the same amount? what about where the clip goes in to secure it?

lou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by migs:

I actually have that tool, cut both the same amount? what about where the clip goes in to secure it?

The lengths of the the shifter and rod will depend on the shifter handle you use if you are going to use the stock shifter handle then you can use a hose clamp to guide the saw blade when you re cut the grooves for the clip, just use the same spacing as stock and cut both rod and shifter equally.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Click Here to Email VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I made this Automatic last summer:

-Van

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock