Scotty Kilmer on the Fiero by longjonsilver
Started on: 11-17-2018 02:24 PM
Replies: 8 (880 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-26-2018 12:30 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irt6bbqoauE

starting at min 3:38

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And not just to bash the car either.
When he's talking about Aluminum engines eating oil... I think is related to Vega/Opel w/ Al overhead cam engines that killed Vega in the 70's. If you think Iron Duke was Cheap then Vega motors were made cheaper and had big problems. First Iron Dukes were installed in 70's Monza and others as replacement for failed vega/opel engine.

Snap-on and Matco are good and way over price because mainly every trunk is a franchise operation. Your retail cost includes franchise fees, truck cost, fuel, commercial vehicle/business insurance, etc.

You take many of his videos w/ a big grain of salt and/or have to have more history to know what he's saying.
Even he's using crap LED HL "upgrades" because he's no expert on car lights.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Vega engines were strange. They had an iron head with the first ever nikisil coated cylinders in an aluminum block. This system was not ready for prime time and the first time they got really hot usually was the end of the coating and they would then burn a quart of oil every tank of gas. A total disaster of an engine design. The system got perfected eventualy by Mercedes and others but sometimes there are still problems. Jaguar built an all AL nikisil engine that would lose most of its power after 20000 miles or so. The cause was high sulphur gasoline and an engine temperature that was too low to counter the high sulphur. These engines would slowly lose all their compression.

An iron or steel sleaved AL block exhibits none of these problems.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 11-19-2018).]

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Scotty needs another cup of coffee.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny story about engines with separate sleeves; My Father owned a Jowett Jupiter- Bizarre little car from Britain that actually won at Le Mans 3 times in a row(In it's class)...They all had problems with crank failure, so my Father's car failed and needed a new crank. After that, the head gaskets kept failing.....Finally, my Father was checking the installation instructions......They said that the cylinder sleeves should be "Shimmed PROUD of the top of the block" .....My Father saw that the mechanic was installing the sleeves BELOW the block deck! The guy argued but luckily the shop owner was friends with my Father; Proud means ABOVE! After that, they didn't fail again......

Jowett Jupiter; Flat Opposed four up front with the radiator BEHIND the engine! Column-shift four speed, torsion-bar suspension....Looked like a miniature Jag XK-140....Approx' 500 built from 1950-53....
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

I think Scotty needs another cup of coffee.

Yeah, the guy should try decaff.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a running joke on YouTube that Scotty Kilmer is a meth-head.

The advice that he gives seems to be hit-or-miss. And his personal bias definitely shows.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While some of Scotty Kilmer's videos offer good info he is IMO a self professed "expert" on everything automotive related.
As for tools, I have had great luck with American made Craftsman tools but for screwdrivers I use Snap on. Still have the phillips screwdriver that I purchased when I first got married and there is no wear on it at all......after 30 years.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-26-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
While some of Scotty Kilmer's videos offer good info he is IMO a self professed "expert" on everything automotive related.
As for tools, I have had great luck with American made Craftsman tools but for screwdrivers I use Snap on. Still have the phillips screwdriver that I purchased when I first got married and there is no wear on it at all......after 30 years.
Craftsman "Warranties" like many others are design to drive customers to stores. Example: Sears always knew Most screw drivers wear out fast if you try using them for real work and every month or 2 you need a new one. Even then most tools have wear problems but most users don't know why screws get striped easily and have worse time to work on anything. Normal screw drivers are bad but Torx and others are worse and can wear out after using just a few times. More so like Torx T15 and smaller drivers.
You find worn out and even broken tools at flea markets et al and still get $1-4 per because pushes Sear's warranty.
Craftsman have/had some "pro" grade screw drivers w/ harden tips that don't wear out but you never find them in bundle tool sets. I have 1 #2 Phillips "pro" and no wear in 30+ years. Nearly Everything else has big wear and never bother to return to store.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock