My First (Second) Fiero by ItzZero
Started on: 11-16-2018 02:59 PM
Replies: 13 (294 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 11-19-2018 05:51 AM
ItzZero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way back in my college days I had an '88 base coupe 5-speed. My favorite car I've ever owned, and the little Iron Duke ran strong until I was T-boned (girl ran a stop sign) which totaled both cars. Fast forward to today - my son is getting his license early next year, so we thought about getting him some sort of beater, probably an older Civic or Corolla. Woo hoo! However, I got to thinking about my fun old Fiero, and decided to let my son drive my CRV, and I would get something fun for me. After a couple of months of Craigslist shopping, I found an '87 GT with a newly rebuilt '88 engine that a collector was selling up in Seattle. So, my son and I flew up there, bought it, and gave it a maiden 800-mile voyage home, and here it is in my driveway. Engine, exhaust, tranny, and suspension are all new (rebuilt or replaced), and it passed California smog on the first try. Needs new paint, and some interior work, but overall is in great condition. Oh, and the sound system is all original. Some of that's gotta go.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! It looks very clean, and burgundy is one of the best colors on these cars. 2/3 of my Fieros are 87s, and I do like them over the 88 because the parts are much easier to find.

Your Fiero has 88 front rims by the way(they don’t have a lip like the rears).
ItzZero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, you are correct - '88 rims with the offset tire sizes.

Oddly enough, I don't like the burgundy color. Looks a bit too '80s for me, especially two-toned with silver. I will probably end up doing a single color on it, although the color has yet to be determined.
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey ItzZero, your handle describes the weather here in Ontario Canada perfectly! I dig your new machine man. Way to keep the Fiero momentum going. I happen to love the Burgundy color as my original is the same!
Parts be damned, I will always be partial to the '88s for all of the upgrades to the chassis and with Rodney, FieroGuru and The Fiero Store, they pretty much got you covered.
Enjoy your new Fab Sportscar man! Still the coolest machine to come out of North America. Keep 'em alive everyone!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ItzZero:

Oh, and the sound system is all original.

Including the front speakers in the dash? I doubt there'll be anything left of the paper cones!

Nice looking car!
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good and welcome to the forum!! What part of California are you in?
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car is NICE man. Congrats and welcome back. I bet you kid is excited.
ItzZero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Including the front speakers in the dash? I doubt there'll be anything left of the paper cones!

Nice looking car!

Oh ye of little faith...

ItzZero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ItzZero

31 posts
Member since Nov 2018

Originally posted by liv4God:

Looks good and welcome to the forum!! What part of California are you in?

Modesto area. On a related note, is it true that our closest Fiero club is in Reno? That's the only NorCal-area club that I can find.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh ye of little faith...

If they're indeed the original 32 year old speakers, I'm shocked!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-17-2018).]

ItzZero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If they're indeed the original 32 year old speakers, I'm shocked!

The paper cone is in good shape, but the foam between the cone and frame is coming apart. Sound comes out, but it is buzzy and weak. Crutchfield to the rescue! I want to use the factory head unit because I like the look, but am going to add an aux jack and install a 4-channel amp to get it to sound a bit better.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The paper cone is in good shape, but the foam between the cone and frame is coming apart. Sound comes out, but it is buzzy and weak.

Ah, that's right... the foam! I remembered there was something in these old speakers that disintegrates.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...Crutchfield to the rescue! I want to use the factory head unit because I like the look, but am going to add an aux jack and install a 4-channel amp to get it to sound a bit better.

FWIW, I have found Pioneer TSA-4103s to be the best 4x10, in terms of stock-type replacements. They have much better bass response than the Kenwood 4x10s.
Of course, just MHO.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Modesto area. On a related note, is it true that our closest Fiero club is in Reno? That's the only NorCal-area club that I can find.

There is Golden Gate Fieros up in the bay area. They meet every month on the third Saturday of the month. There's also a number of active enthusiasts in the Sacramento area. No specific club, but they get together here and there. One of the fellows is in charge of the California Coast Run in October and also started a Vine Run last year to be a new spring time Fiero activity in the Napa Valley Wine Country.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock