Rear body section by heypal
Started on: 11-12-2018 12:59 PM
Replies: 6 (549 views)
Last post by: heypal on 11-15-2018 02:44 PM
heypal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yesterday I started what will likely be a 1 to 2 year resto project on my Formula. I pulled most of the body panels off with only the door skins (next), 1/4 windows, and roof sections. I am VERY reluctant to remove the front roof section as I am deathly afraid of breaking it. However, the rear section looks a little more robust. Can this section be removed without removing the front? I am changing body color.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear clip is removable. The only real "gotcha" is that there are pegs on the bottom of the roof skin that plug into tabs on the edges of the rear clip. You will need to raise the rear edge of the roof skin by an inch or two, in order to slide the rear clip out from underneath. Be very careful about cracking the roof skin at, or behind the windshield pillars. (I cracked mine.)
I removed my rear clip and installed a fastback clip in its place.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-14-2018).]

carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When removing the three nuts on the roof section of the rear quarter panel I have found that the nuts are often seized to the studs that are molded into the roof section due to the black butyl sealant they used. A little heat on the nuts before trying to remove them softens this sealant and prevents spinning the stud that's molded into quarter panel.

The same idea applies to the front roof section only the front roof panel is glued with this butyl to the space frame all around the windshield so heat is your friend and a heat gun is a must!
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So from what I read guys, the rear clip carries a high probability to breakage upon removal?? MM, I wonder if I should even go there. The only reason I am removing is to ease the pain of the painter as I will be changing body colors.
carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No the rear clip is easy to remove without breakage as long as the three nuts that hold it to the roof can be removed. This is why I suggested heating them to soften the butyl sealant. You don't want to spin the studs that are molded into the rear clip.

It's the front roof section that is difficult to remove without breakage. However it is relatively easy to remove the nuts and bolts from the front section to lift it up just enough to get the rear section off.

All of this requires the headliner to be removed first.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reassurance. I think I will try it then. I do not plan to remove the front piece. The painter will have to paint that portion on the car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock