Rear Inner Tie Rods by BadNewsBrendan
Started on: 10-26-2018 02:51 PM
Replies: 13 (547 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 11-10-2018 12:34 AM
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anywhere that you can buy new rear inner tie rods? All I can find is the fronts and the
Fiero Store has them listed but says they won't have any in stock til December. Mine are rusted to crap and trying to decide if its worth putting in the effort to clean them up and paint them. Would just go ahead and do it if there wasn't a hundred other things I need to do to finish my swap and a parts car in my driveway that I need to strip and get rid of asap.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did that same exact job a few weeks ago. The rear adjusting links ( as I call them ) were extremely rusted, and I had replacements stored away that I bought years ago. the job was a lot more difficult than planned because every bolt was very stubborn to remove. I had to use a cut off wheel to get the one in the cradle out. Then I had to lock them in a vice to loosen and disassemble them.
Since I was in there I removed the splash guadrs and inner wheel wells , brushed the frame and suspension, and gave everything a fresh coat of Rustoleum. I also replace the sway bar links with new poly ones from F.S.
The job was well worth it and it looks great, not to mention that there will be no alinement problems when I take it to a shop.
So if you want smooth sailing, you may want to wait until Fiero Store gets them in. If you want to save the cash, then try cleaning them up yourself. Just spray everything down with a rust penetrant like PB Blaster a day before you start the project.
Note : are the 88's different ? I have an 88 Formula.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofrenzy

851 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I just did that same exact job a few weeks ago. The rear adjusting links ( as I call them ) were extremely rusted, and I had replacements stored away that I bought years ago. the job was a lot more difficult than planned because every bolt was very stubborn to remove. I had to use a cut off wheel to get the one in the cradle out. Then I had to lock them in a vice to loosen and disassemble them.
Since I was in there I removed the splash guadrs and inner wheel wells , brushed the frame and suspension, and gave everything a fresh coat of Rustoleum. I also replace the sway bar links with new poly ones from F.S.
The job was well worth it and it looks great, not to mention that there will be no alinement problems when I take it to a shop.
So if you want smooth sailing, you may want to wait until Fiero Store gets them in. If you want to save the cash, then try cleaning them up yourself. Just spray everything down with a rust penetrant like PB Blaster a day before you start the project.
Note : are the 88's different ? I have an 88 Formula.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 rear suspension is very different.
It uses a trailing arm and latteral links, one of which is adjustable for toe.

The pre-88 uses a lower control arm and a toe link (similar to a tie rod) that attaches to the knuckle and the cradle, it is adjustable for toe.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From old friend Anthony Cook from Nova Scotia. Formerly Jelly2M8 on the forum. Anthony could not find replacements so he came up with this alternative.
For the 84-87 rear inner tie rod use a Front Tie Rod from a 1990 Chevy Lumina but the rod needs some slight changes to make it fit. . Moog part number EV195 . Use the old tie rod to make a stud by cutting off the threaded area. Screw this stud into the Lumina tie rod end that has the inner threads but not so far as to bind the rod end. . Secure that stud with locktite, two washers and a nut. Now you have a tie rod with threads on both ends. Slightly enlarge the mounting hole on the frame bracket and use another nut and a lock washer to hold it in place. According to Anthony he did this mod on 20 cars all with no ill effects and lasting results.
Or
buy the exact replacement tie rod from Rodney Dickman.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2018 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think for now I am going to clean them up and try and use them for a while at least. I submerged the threaded half in some Evapo-Rust overnight and they look a lot better. I didn't know Rodney Dickman sold them so appreciate that info. Will probably end up buying new ones down the road but I think for now I'm going to spend my money getting the engine swap finished.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2018 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2018 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wooo man, almost forgot to tell you this....If your going to totally disassemble the links, which I imagine you are, make sure you measure their length and mark each side with the correct measurement.
This way when you screw them back together, you should be very close to the same length they where before you took them out. This should prevent your wheels from being to far out of alignment. I'd suggest take the car for a 4 wheel alignment once she's all back together.
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2018 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I thought about that but figured with the engine swap, poly cradle and control arm bushings, new shocks, bigger wheels etc it would need re aligned anyway. Probably would have been a good idea to get it close at least but I figure the ol 2x4 and string alignment will be good enough for testing the engine and trans around the block and get it aligned later on. Probably won't get to that point for at least a few months.
Thanks for the suggestions!
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I got one more suggestion for ya ! STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS ! Every nut and bolt I replaced with stainless steel ones. This way you'll never have a seized bolt again due to rust issues. Looks great too ! Matter of fact, every job I did or do includes the stainless steel fastener replacement.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofrenzy

851 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Hey, I got one more suggestion for ya ! STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS ! Every nut and bolt I replaced with stainless steel ones. This way you'll never have a seized bolt again due to rust issues. Looks great too ! Matter of fact, every job I did or do includes the stainless steel fastener replacement.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Due to a low carbon content, stainless steel cannot be hardened, which makes these bolts significantly weaker than a hardened steel bolt. Stainless steel bolts excel in their resistance to corrosion but depending on the alloy they may not be up to even grade 3 standards. I use them where optimal strength is not needed like where the manifolds bolt to the block or on the exhaust flanges.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice guys! Will definitely go through and decide what I want to replace with stainless.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2018 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to ARP's website, their stainless steel has a tensile strength of 170000 psi, which is slightly above that of the factory class 10.9 hardware.

That said, I wouldn't touch el-cheapo stainless bolts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock