Engine Swap Ideas by Wonders
Started on: 10-22-2018 10:25 AM
Replies: 47 (1838 views)
Last post by: engine man on 02-10-2019 05:51 PM
Wonders

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WondersSend a Private Message to WondersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread's for anyone interested in trying something new to come look at, if anyone at all.

The KA24E would be a good idea, for its sound and tunability.

That's honestly all I have. If you want to write something down or to talk about pros and cons, go ahead!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not believe that putting an engine that was never used in any GM vehicle in a Fiero is a good idea. That engine is a Nissan product and has zero in common with what GM products have. For instance axles to mate a Nissan transmission to Fiero hubs would have to be custom built from scratch, the shifter would also need to be specially built as will the mounts. Then you'll have powertrain management issue to to cope with and a PCM designed to make it all happen. . I guess anything can be done but the amount of money, time and energy required to do such an odd swap would be prohibitive.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agree with Dennis here. For something not done yet go with High Feature V6. At least still GM and I want to learn from your build! LOL!
High feature V6 has forged steel crank and 6 bolt mains, all aluminum and close to 12:1 CR
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tesla motor.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LT4: 650 hp and torque to match, can get into the 30mpg range, V8 sound, show those Vette guys what a Fiero can do with their engine haha
Wonders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WondersSend a Private Message to WondersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

For instance axles to mate a Nissan transmission to Fiero hubs would have to be custom built from scratch, the shifter would also need to be specially built as will the mounts. Then you'll have powertrain management issue to to cope with and a PCM designed to make it all happen.

If I do this (which i might), the hubs would be an issue bot not a large one, shifter is understandable with the concern.
The motor itself will be purely mechanical, what with carburetors and a mechanical fuel pump, to make it easier on the wiring.

All in all, just a normal swap.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wonders:

The KA24E would be a good idea...

Not according to the following article.

Five Worst Engines | Overhyped and Underengineered - #3 Nissan KA24E
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not a fan of the spinner engines......I like torque.......An interesting newer engine would be the new, all aluminum, 4.3 GM V6 (LV3)...... much lighter than the 2.8 V6, 300 hp and up to 330 Lb/Ft of torque.....And I have heard an older 4.3 in a Fiero and it sounded like a 2.8 on steroids........The only downside is that you would have to use a bellhouse adapter plate.
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the available options are other GM 60 degree V6s, including both high value as well as the high feature. Cadillac HT V*s (avoid the pre-87). Cadillac NorthStar . GM LS4.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please do research on the high feature engine before considering spending the time and money on it as a swap. From my experience it is poorly engineered. The numbers and specs seem good on paper, but it has many inexcusable flaws that in my opinion make it worth its weight in scrap metal. That's it.

[This message has been edited by Reallybig (edited 10-23-2018).]

Wonders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WondersSend a Private Message to WondersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Still better than the Iron duke, by all means.

Except for simplicity, I suppose.

[This message has been edited by Wonders (edited 10-24-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If I do this (which i might), the hubs would be an issue bot not a large one, shifter is understandable with the concern.
The motor itself will be purely mechanical, what with carburetors and a mechanical fuel pump, to make it easier on the wiring.
All in all, just a normal swap.

If going to a more modern swap why on earth would you go backwards to carbs?
Yes, the wiring is the biggest pain in the arse. Driveshafts are easy, loads of companies make those. Gearshift, well that's reversing quadrants, or longer cables depending on the transmission.
Worst case, use the entire wiring loom from the donor, that's what I'm doing.

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2018 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind that the wiring doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. GM offers modern crate engines complete with all the wiring to make them work in older cars

Connect and cruise

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the beginning stages of an LFX/F40 swap in a 88. So far the engine, transmission and axles are sorted. Working on motor and transmission mounts now.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am fully in agreement that the engine must be GM. Perhaps waiting for some euro vauxall, saab miracle V6 to appear.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Supercharged 426 Hemi legitimately makes the Demon engine seem weak

Someone posted there... "For those who choose to drive staples with sledgehammers." Seems somehow appropriate here.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Someone posted there... "For those who choose to drive staples with sledgehammers." Seems somehow appropriate here.

Yeah, considering 92 hp is enough to compete with normal traffic. Way more people get into way more trouble with way more power than is needed.

Wonders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WondersSend a Private Message to WondersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought of another idea, and this one is more for sound and similarity.

Audi's (in)famous 2.8 Thirty Valve v6.

The power's similar, and I personally think it'll be a good engine to put in, what with the family car being a '98 A4.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i was doing another engine swap it would be another Audi the 2.7 biturbo V6 with a 01X 6 speed run by a megasquirt 3x longitudinal install or i would just do the Audi V8 like i allready have but turbocharged instead of the SC
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know an electric Fiero has been done several times. I like the idea of 4 motors on 4 wheels. With feedback and logic, you could really maximize grip. The electric tech has come a long way in 20 years.

PFF
System Bot
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LTG

------------------
3800sc plug and play harnesses for sale.

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 11-04-2018).]

arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thread's for anyone interested in trying something new to come look at, if anyone at all.

The KA24E would be a good idea, for its sound and tunability.

That's honestly all I have. If you want to write something down or to talk about pros and cons, go ahead!

Pro:
.... got nothing

Con:
All that work for 150 hp
Really custom mounts and axles
Everything else above...
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My other thought.... (and I have thought about this for years) is to do a stout 4.3 V6 bolted to a Porsche transaxle similar to what I have in the IMSA. Because it is basically a SBC with 2 fewer cylinders, the front end should be able to be made to fit behind the fire wall. It would be a true longitudal mid-engine setup. Balance would be great and 300hp to 350hp to the wheels realistic. It would require a custom bolt in cradle, but that has been done before.
The real down side is that accessing the front of the motor would require a lift. Also, it would make sense to make the entire cradle self contained with quick disconnects to allow for easy removal. That would be the best way to have good access.

Just a thought.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
R Runner I am doing a 6.0 Porsche 6 speed swap but mine has been stretched..
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

My other thought.... (and I have thought about this for years) is to do a stout 4.3 V6 bolted to a Porsche transaxle similar to what I have in the IMSA. Because it is basically a SBC with 2 fewer cylinders, the front end should be able to be made to fit behind the fire wall. It would be a true longitudal mid-engine setup. Balance would be great and 300hp to 350hp to the wheels realistic. It would require a custom bolt in cradle, but that has been done before.
The real down side is that accessing the front of the motor would require a lift. Also, it would make sense to make the entire cradle self contained with quick disconnects to allow for easy removal. That would be the best way to have good access.

Just a thought.

The LT based 2014+ EcoTec 4.3 is factory rated at 285hp/305tq and all aluminum. I am sure with some aftermarket parts you could get more out of it. I think it would be a great engine to swap!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The EcoTec 4.3 was the engine I was suggesting.....70 lbs lighter than the 2.8 and 300 hp....and the power would be across the power band, not just at 7000 rpm like the spinner engines.

I did a power band comparison thru the gears to vehicle speed in gears between a 3.4 F-body conversion (160 hp at 4500, 200 Lb/Ft at 2600) and the Honda 1.6 L with 160 (at 7500, and 116 Lb/Ft at.....7000). The 3.4 thru the Getrag gears stays above 100 hp at each shift, while the Del Sol (5 spd)1.6 drops to approx' 80 hp at each shift, then climbs back up........

HP is what actually accelerates your car....If your power band is narrow, your accel' drops off during shifts. Obviously, turbo engines are great at this, but drivability suffers due to turbo lag.....Driving a 1/4 mile you will not suffer much lag, but on a road course or during street driving, turbo lag can become very pronounced.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not familiar with this publication but it must be something geared toward 'ricers' Both the Top 10 engines and Bottom 5 engines are all Japanese makes. nothing from GM or Ford. Nothing from BMW.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mazda rotary. I had a dark green 1972 RX2 4 speed 2door coupe. Loved that engine... zoom zoom...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM has a new engine coming.

L3B 2.7 liter turbo-four
310 hp with 348 ft/lb torque

https://www.caranddriver.co...ylinder-turbo-engine

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I started my Quad 4 swap 7+ years ago, Quads were common in the salvage yard. Now I hardly see them anymore (glad I bought a couple extras back then). Ecotecs, on the other hand, are everywhere. If I ever do another swap I’d take a long look at an Ecotec.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 11-08-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
FastOwen2XLL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this will likely fire up the haters but.....

Honda/Acura J32/J35 V6 coupled to a TL-S 6-speed manual.

Advantages 278hp/256tq out of the box of smooth, reliable, V-tech power. Popular with the Civic J-swap crowd so some aftermarket items are available. Stand-alone PCMs are also available tho a bit pricey. Lower mile motors can still be had and are fairly inexpensive. The trans is probably the hardest to come by as it must be a fwd-only unit. I need to take some better measurements to see just how well it might fit.

Besides wiring, Honda uses some unique mounts that might make things interesting. Of course custom axles, and A/C lines if you want air conditioning. But I think with some mild performance tweaks, a 300hp/30mpg car is very obtainable. I've not researched gear ratios yet, but with a 7000+ RPM redline and the 6-speed, well at least the theoretical top speed would be crazy!

[This message has been edited by FastOwen2XLL (edited 11-09-2018).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 more engines i would consider are the vw w8 and w12 the w8 came in 2002-2004 passat and the w12 came in the 2004-2006 phaeton the w8 is 16 inches long so no problem mounting it longitudinal and the w12 is 20 inches long and would be mounted longitudinal and is about the same length as my audi v8 you could do both without a streched car
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

When I started my Quad 4 swap 7+ years ago, Quads were common in the salvage yard. Now I hardly see them anymore (glad I bought a couple extras back then). Ecotecs, on the other hand, are everywhere. If I ever do another swap I’d take a long look at an Ecotec.

I almost decided on an exotic 4 cyl when a LFX donor car came available. The LNF can produce an easy 300 hp at less weight than the stock V6. If you aren't thrilled about a turbo engine, you can still get a respectable 200 hp with the LCV from a late model Malibu.

[This message has been edited by Daryl M (edited 02-08-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i see a w8 fiero being built in the future as i just bought a W8 passat wagon now once i get my other project done i can start putting another together just what the doctor ordered i think i will go Automatic transmission like the 5hp19

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-06-2019).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

well i see a w8 fiero being built in the future as i just bought a W8 passat wagon now once i get my other project done i can start putting another together just what the doctor ordered i think i will go Automatic transmission like the 5hp19

Doesn't GM get better hp and torque from the LFX and LGX engines? Just sayin'

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastOwen2XLL:

Honda/Acura J32/J35 V6 coupled to a TL-S 6-speed manual.

The J35 (aka "minivan" engine) is a popular swap into early Miatas. I was actually contemplating doing that very thing, until I sold my '97.
I will caution that the J35 is an interference engine. Wouldn't have given that a second thought except that my wife's Odyssey popped a timing belt, long before it should have, and now I get to fix that mess. (Van is way too nice to part out or scrap.)
But, FWIW, everything I have read leads me to believe that the J32 is NOT an interference engine.
But they're still big as hell, being OHC.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i want longitudinal install this engine might not put out as much power but it is 16 inches long and as far as physically putting it in it should not be hard at all wiring will be a bit harder as no one has wired one in but not that big a deal just take longer and if i want more power it can be turbocharged but the LFX or LGX engine a good but the best bang for the buck will always be the 3800

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-06-2019).]

tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

That sounds like a fantastic combination. It would also need an IMSA Fastback GT Widebody, C6 front suspension, and C6 rear suspension with coil-overs.
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Tesla motor.

i think about this on a daily basis

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave