Started on: 10-22-2018 10:25 AM
Replies: 47 (1837 views)
Last post by: engine man on 02-10-2019 05:51 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the 3800 engines are now old tech and somewhat heavy, IMO the next logical swap would be the GM LFX engine. All aluminum, lightweight and 300-325 HP stock. A swap hasn't been successfully completed in a Fiero as yet but they are in the works. The engine was widely used on many GM models and low miles engines from wrecks should be available. After all the bugs are worked out I may just attempt that swap. I just don't like being the first!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Since the 3800 engines are now old tech and somewhat heavy, IMO the next logical swap would be the GM LFX engine. All aluminum, lightweight and 300-325 HP stock. A swap hasn't been successfully completed in a Fiero as yet but they are in the works. The engine was widely used on many GM models and low miles engines from wrecks should be available. After all the bugs are worked out I may just attempt that swap. I just don't like being the first!

Awe, C'mon Dennis. Go for it. It'll be fun.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I do not believe that putting an engine that was never used in any GM vehicle in a Fiero is a good idea. That engine is a Nissan product and has zero in common with what GM products have. For instance axles to mate a Nissan transmission to Fiero hubs would have to be custom built from scratch, the shifter would also need to be specially built as will the mounts. Then you'll have powertrain management issue to to cope with and a PCM designed to make it all happen. . I guess anything can be done but the amount of money, time and energy required to do such an odd swap would be prohibitive.

Dennis, come on buddy. I say we need more people out there swapping in aall kinds off different engines. The l67/l32 is a great engine but its ran its course. When I drove my 88 GT l32 turbo you could feel all that weight back there. Sure, it was stupid fast, but balanced it was not. From my experience building Honda K series fiero, I cant tell you, I genuinely think it will become the new hotness. Its light, strong and makes tons of power. The aftermarket is as strong as any engine out there. Its swapped into all sorts of non honda applications so there are simple wiring options, axles are about a grand. Eaassy peassy. Shifter cables are simple and can be supplied by California push pull. Seriously, if you have any fab skills and a welder, you are only limited by your imagination and wallet. Cost???? Figure about 1k more than a l67/l32 if you did it all yourself. It just depends on which k series you go with because prices vary wildly. Personally the K24A2 w/ 6 speed is the way to go (TSX). "06 or newer will get you the more desirable head and cams.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 02-07-2019).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually stay out of these types of discussions but : I built the 2nd documented running ecotec swap. I started it because my freshly rebuilt 2.8 died and I was fed up with antiques. Its all in my build thread but the thing is I got the first version up and running in 6 weeks. It is easy as long as you are willing to just use all the donor cars wiring harness and keep the grafting of Fiero and Donor to a minimum. Is it the best swap: there is no best swap. I like it because it is light and powerful and when I did the swap most people thought no one would ever get one to work.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2019 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if anyone has done the W12/VR12 before?
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2019 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i don't think the w12 has been done due to the engine price and a bit hard to find and like my 4.2 audi swap you are going to have the axle centerlines offset but the w8 is so short there is no problem
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2019 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heavy; 500+ lbs and there are much better, more balanced smaller displacements. But anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
What's the W8 weigh?
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2019 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the w8 is about 415 dry but i like it should be easy peasy to physically install the w8 and i don't see the wiring to be to bad just takes time to look at what wire need to go where i would use a stock ecm as you can get them for automatic trans or manual transmission and they are a tunable ecm

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-10-2019).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock