anti theft switch by ed55fl
Started on: 10-14-2018 12:46 PM
Replies: 7 (350 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-23-2018 05:00 PM
ed55fl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ed55flSend a Private Message to ed55flEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure someone else has already come up with this idea. Wanted to put power release in my Nothie .Picked up switch plate with trunk release and rear defog .After hooking up the release swich Not have heated rear glass in car. Removed spring from rear defog switch and made ingnition cut out switch with some wire and relay Whata think ? Works great

[This message has been edited by ed55fl (edited 10-14-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea...

My Indy doesn't have a rear defogger either.
I wired up the switch to use as a manual radiator fan switch if needed.
Even in off position, the light comes on indicating anytime fan is activated by engine temp fan switch.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-15-2018).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For years (While the car was popular) I would pull the fuel injection fuse....memorized which one it was and could do it without looking or flipping the panel down...Pocket it and good damn luck to anyone trying to start it.......
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually foolproof, taking the fuse out.

Some years ago, my parents had a Yamaha golf cart, they parked next to the clubhouse.
It was chained up, to a big steel fence made up from some old drill stem pipe. Dad called me one day, saying the cart would not start.
Went thru the electrical system, and found that the fuse under the engine cover/ seat, was missing.

Another club member whose cart was not chained to the horizontal pipe, used to take his fuse out to keep the cart theft proof.
Except for the part where they are making fools smarter these days, and they took the fuse from my parents cart, put it in the one not chained up, and stole it.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a power disconnect switch in the trunk and bridge it with a 20 amp fuse to keep the clock and PCM energized. If you try to start the car the fuze blows and the car is dead. Not as effective as a hidden anti-theft switch but the car also has an alarm that goes off to kill the ignition. I believe in alarms. If you don't have one the criminal breaks in and takes all your stuff!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-17-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For starters I recommend these

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years ago I had a 1973 mach 1 Mustang that I installed an 88 FI 5.0 in. Mustangs are...More desirable to thieves so I did a couple of things.....I created a delay box and hooked it up so that if you start the car, or, after having put it in gear you open either door, it triggers the timer and 30 seconds later kills the fuel pump....So even car-jackers can't (Successfully) steal it; "Take the damn thing...don't run worth crap anyway!" When it dies they can't say I didn't tell 'em the truth!

The reset button was in place of a dash screw- I even cut the top of the button so it looked like a screw head.

The other thing was an alarm hooked to the dome lights.....No motion sensor; Thieves will pretend to be drunk, and fall against the car, testing for an alarm- the alarm doesn't go off, so it must be turned off.......And, of course, my neighbors and I didn't have to listen to the alarm every time a mut-cycle or farty-car poops by......

Best car anti-theft "Device"; Before the alarm, someone tried to slim-jim the car at 2 in the morning.....My neighbor was smoking on her front porch...heard the guy, leaned around the corner and said," You know someone is watching your stupid azz!" First I knew of it was going out to my car in the morning and finding a slim-jim laying next to it- She said the guy dropped it and ran like a jackrabbit!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kill Switch idea is ok and covered here many times but what you wired it to can be big problems...
Defog switch might not handle more then a few amps before it burns contacts or dies and you hope doesn't cause a fire or wreck when that happens.
Defog switch is often easy to hit and can kill engine on the highway if wired to ignition fuel or ECM. Defog and some others don't have detents to keep the switch in one place and could move on its own for vibration.

Examples:
Ignition coil(s) and FP eats ~ 5-10 amps and if run directly by Defog switch can fry the switch and either of them.
Now if you put switch in ECM to FP Relay wire then will run for years except problem of hitting/shacking the switch on the highway.
Interrupt Ignition ref line to ECM does same and instant kill the engine... No ignition ref signal = ECM shuts off EFI driver(s). Ignition have a long history of problems so I won't recommend this setup.

ECM main power may draw too many amps for this switch and burn out over time. May not burn down the car but ECM power problems can cause many other problems before switch totally fries.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock