Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Project car: 1984 Fiero SE IMSA (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project car: 1984 Fiero SE IMSA by FieroMaster88
Started on: 10-02-2018 10:52 PM
Replies: 102 (3955 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 04-30-2021 09:05 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked this car up a few weeks ago from What About Bob on the forum. It came with a bunch of new parts but was non running and needed the brakes finished. It’s a well optioned 84 SE with a 4 speed manual and a DGP widebody kit with the correct offset centerline wheels. Had new brake lines, calipers and rotors on the front, came with all the parts for the rear. I got the car home, ran the lines to the rear and installed the new calipers. Got a new master cylinder and bled the brakes. I removed the fuel tank and found a half tank of old stale gas. The pump and level sensor were rusted away and the inside of the tank was pretty bad. I cleaned the tank the best I could and installed a new pump. After installing the tank and filling g it with fuel I installed a new battery and got it started. Runs really good. It’s probably one of the quietest dukes I’ve ever heard. I got it registered and insured and started driving it. After 100 miles the clutch started to act funny so I replaced the master and slave cylinders. Feels like new now. I also flushed all the fluids, installed a new thermostat and radiator cap. Gave the engine a tune up with new cap, rotor, wires, plugs and filters. Installed a dual exhaust and replaced the valve cover gasket. It also got new shocks and struts and was lowered in the front a little. I also installed new engine and trans mounts. Charged up the ac and it blows cold. I cleaned the interior, fixed warped trim, installed a late model Pontiac radio and removed the purple tint from the rear window. I’ve also painted the mirrors and trim black. I’ve got a plasti dip complete car kit to paint it for now. Have a couple different colors I want to try before I spend money on a professional paint job. I’ve put about 500 miles on it so far and it drives great! I’d like to do an engine swap eventually but can’t decide what. Either a turbo ecotec, turbo 3400 v6 or a 3800. I also need to figure out how to restore the centerline wheels because they look pretty bad.

Here are some pictures. I’ll update the post as I work on it more.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: Restoration project
14 GMC Sierra: Daily Driver

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 10-02-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool. Good choice.
That is going to be a fun one!

------------------
Paul

andreww

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be painting that up like the Dole Pineapple car.
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn good find!!! That interior looks nearly mint! And BtW super jealous of those wheels
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red98422:

Damn good find!!! That interior looks nearly mint! And BtW super jealous of those wheels

The wheels are pretty dirty with a lot of deep stains from brake dust and sitting. Gonna take a lot of cleaning and polishing to get them shiny again.

fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FM88 Hey, that Fiero is gonna look great once she's all painted up. I like the body kit and the wheels look cool too. I remember seeing a wheel recondition ad on the side of a passing van once. google this and maybe something will pop up in your area if you want those rims looking brand new. They look great on the car.
Im curious. I sse you put a lot of parts into this. Where did you buy the majority of the parts if I may ask ?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

FM88 Hey, that Fiero is gonna look great once she's all painted up. I like the body kit and the wheels look cool too. I remember seeing a wheel recondition ad on the side of a passing van once. google this and maybe something will pop up in your area if you want those rims looking brand new. They look great on the car.
Im curious. I sse you put a lot of parts into this. Where did you buy the majority of the parts if I may ask ?

Most of the parts came with the car.
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2018 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
same interior that was in Stickman's IMSA before he sold it
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by foxgapfiero:

same interior that was in Stickman's IMSA before he sold it

I didn’t like it at first but it’s kinda grown on me. Seats are pretty comfortable and stay cool in the summer and warm on cooler fall mornings. The car really needs a 3800 swap. I wonder how it would do with the 4.10 trans?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And it’s in storage for the winter. Going to put some color on it in the spring.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up these scoops for a really good price. Not 100% sure they look good on the car.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Picked up these scoops for a really good price. Not 100% sure they look good on the car.

Don't they also work against the natural air flow through the engine bay vents? If you don't like the "look" of these scoops, why bother with them?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Don't they also work against the natural air flow through the engine bay vents? If you don't like the "look" of these scoops, why bother with them?

It’s a 84 so the side panels are solid, the vent is in the decklid. Thinking they will look better black. I’m planning an engine swap for this car with a turbocharger so I’d put the charge air cooler and oil cooler under them.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 11-18-2018).]

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along good ‘ love the style 👍 looking great 😊.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It’s a 84 so the side panels are solid, the vent is in the decklid. Thinking they will look better black. I’m planning an engine swap for this car with a turbocharger so I’d put the charge air cooler and oil cooler under them.

Sounds like a great idea.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally found a good used fuel tank with sender, just have to go pick it up. Will be the first car project in the new pole barn in the spring replacing the tank. I’d like to install some rear coil overs too. Still thinking of an engine swap even though it probably won’t be this year. I have four engines I’m thinking of. Ecotec with a turbo, 3400 with a turbo, 3800 sc or a Cadillac Allante 4.5L V8 that would probably end up turbocharged.

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really want your shop space
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Don't they also work against the natural air flow through the engine bay vents?
If you don't like the "look" of these scoops, why bother with them?

It’s a 84 so the side panels are solid, the vent is in the decklid. Thinking they will look better black.
I’m planning an engine swap for this car with a turbocharger so I’d put the charge air cooler and oil cooler under them.

Nothing wrong with the scoops.
As I keep telling people, they were designed for the '84 with the center decklid vent.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting lights wired and things set up in the shop:

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is that your brothers black Fiero? Awesome pole barn!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 02-23-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forget the cars for a minute, how big is your shop!? haha
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that’s my brothers 86 SE. The barn is 30x48x14. Still have to buy an air compressor and hoist. Have a tire mounting machine and tire balancing machine.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2019 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crappy YouTube video of the car/shop:

https://youtu.be/fQQfdjdOJ8Y

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: Restoration project
14 GMC Sierra: Daily Driver

boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2019 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your new setup looks pretty dang trick, from the youtubes I seen. Black centers, polished lips on the IMSA.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove it today!

BodymanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BodymanBillSend a Private Message to BodymanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
I like those fat bodies!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2019 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today Some wheel polishing took place and wire repair to get the front marker lights working.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 03-22-2019).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plastidip time. Not sure what color to get it painted so I decided a plastidip paint job would be good to try out different colors. This is slate blue and I really like it.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That turned out beautiful. And when you get bored, peel and respray I would keep that color.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That turned out beautiful. And when you get bored, peel and respray I would keep that color.

I really like this color. I’d get the strip around the body and the ground effects painted black on a real paint job.
PFF
System Bot
Phosphor_Burn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2019 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phosphor_BurnSend a Private Message to Phosphor_BurnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That color is amazing!

------------------
'85 GT 3.4 L

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2019 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks fantastic! Can you give some details on the Plasti-dip? How difficult, cost, prep work necessary, where to get it, etc?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2019 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That color fits the lines of the car very well, looks great!
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2019 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree.... Tha color really looks good on the car.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2019 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks GREAT with the color on it!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2019 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve driven the car a bit this weekend. Lots of compliments everywhere I go. I’m really happy with how the plastidip turned out.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2019 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

That looks fantastic! Can you give some details on the Plasti-dip? How difficult, cost, prep work necessary, where to get it, etc?

It was not too bad to do. I have the dip your car sprayer kit. Purchased it a couple years ago when I dipped another car. The dip I used came from www.dipyourcar.com. It is their performance series dip in slate blue. They have a ton of colors to choose from. I got the small car kit. It came with one gallon of gray base which did two coats and two gallons of slate blue which did 4 coats. The kit comes with a bottle of pre dip car wash so I used that and washed/ dried the car thoroughly. I let the car dry inside overnight. The next day I removed the tail lights, marker lights, sunroof glass and seal, sail panels, mirrors, and antenna. I taped off the windows, wheels, exhaust tips and anything else that I didn’t want over-sprayed. After that I wiped the car down with pre dip spray that came with the kit. I did it twice. It takes any oil or grease off from touching it during the masking process. I then mixed up the gray gallon, put it in the sprayer and sprayed the first light coat. After that every coat was a wet heavy coat. After the last coat of blue was sprayed I peeled the tape closest to the body. If you wait until it drys you might start pulling the dip off the body. Make sure it’s not too humid when you spray the dip. Mine turned out cloudy due to the humidity. I read online that giving the car a naptha bath would correct it. It was scary to spray the freshly painted car with naptha thinner but I did it. Sprayed a nice even coat on the car. After it dried the cloudiness was gone and the dip was smoother. Would have been easier to just wait to spray until it was less humid. A couple days after application I sprayed the car with a good spray wax.

So basically it was 2 evenings to wash, prep and spray. The kit was right around $300. I would do it again, it turned out really nice.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2019 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The kit was right around $300. I would do it again, it turned out really nice.

That's a really good price. I do have a question and maybe this will help others. Does this paint have a heavy chemical smell while spraying or can it be done inside a closed environment with no respirator?
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2019 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm also curious as to what it feels like. Is it "rubbery"? I've never actually seen a plastidipped car. How durable is it? My Fiero has some peeling clearcoat. Would I have to sand the whole car or just those "bad" areas?

Thanks!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock