Started on: 08-27-2018 04:25 PM
Replies: 8 (239 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-27-2018 11:44 PM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the trunk carpet yesterday to wash it as I spilled oil on it so while it was out I decided to check the blower fan in the trunk.
I figured if GM thought it was needed I should really get it working, at least for the ignition coil part.
Sounded like it was trying to work but nothing coming from the vents so I pulled the fan and found this:

Put it back together and tired it. Still no air!

So I removed the feed tube (from the fan to the trunk wall). It was full of mice nest as well.
Cleans that out and ran an air line through it, nice and clean now.
Unfortunately I threw the old tubes out (I think) when we moved house so I'm trying to get a new set but at least the fan works now!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Skull_Bandit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Skull_BanditSend a Private Message to Skull_BanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased my 3rd Fiero a couple weeks back, and I wasn't sure the cooling was working properly. I take the reservoir cap off to double check that it wasn't dry. And to my surprise, it had what looked like rust-water covered twigs in the bottom. That was not what I wanted to see so I immediately ordered a new reservoir. When I took that old one out I decided to saw the top of it off. Look closer and there is hair around the bottom of it. There is about 10-15 dead mice soaked in antifreeze. Glad I didn't try to clean it out and just replaced it. I've had quite a few old cars that had sat their fair amount of time and I've never seen anything like this.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skull_Bandit:

I take the reservoir cap off to double check that it wasn't dry... There is about 10-15 dead mice soaked in antifreeze.

How the heck did they get in there? I can only imagine the cap must've been put back on after it had been off for a long time.
Skull_Bandit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Skull_BanditSend a Private Message to Skull_BanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

How the heck did they get in there? I can only imagine the cap must've been put back on after it had been off for a long time.

I'm not 100% sure. There was a slight chip in the top of it, maybe 1 in x 1/8 in hole. I don't think a single mouse could fit through it, much less 15 of them.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skull_Bandit:

There was a slight chip in the top of it, maybe 1 in x 1/8 in hole.

Although I'd think they'd have to be awfully young/small, I've read that mice can get through a hole the diameter of a pencil.

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you have inadvertently come up with a way to keep mice out of the other parts of our cars. An open jug of antifreeze!
Time Traveller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Time TravellerClick Here to visit Time Traveller's HomePageSend a Private Message to Time TravellerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't feel bad, mice built a nest in my grandma's Camry cabin blower when she hadn't driven the car for a mere 2 weeks. She even had D-Con pellets in her garage at the time! Maybe mice just like squirrelcage fans. At least you won't be smelling that mouse nest when you drive.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Time Traveller:

Maybe mice just like squirrel-cage fans.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock