Need Part Number Help! 4.9 Fiero by 87GT2M6
Started on: 08-25-2018 06:56 PM
Replies: 30 (444 views)
Last post by: 87GT2M6 on 09-18-2018 11:57 AM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a Fiero Factory Swap about 4 years ago and today my belt got shredded and I can't find a number anywhere on the pieces.

Need the v-belt part number

My setup has an a/c.

Thanks in advance for all who reply.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you contacted the Fiero Factory?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't have the Fiero Factory swap but when I return home I can look up what belt my 4.9L swap uses

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

bjm362

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the old belt isn't shredded so badly that you cannot measure it, you could find the length and account just a bit for stretching...
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
old one shredded badly, can't get measurement or item number from the pieces. I contacted the Fiero Factory but have not received any reply and I also called but no answer.

Thanks Dennis LaGrua, does yours also have A/C ? I kinda remember Jeremy saying Belt L90 but I've searched for that term and I get nothing.

Thanks so far to all that have replied.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pulley closest to the firewall, under the passenger hingebox....
Can you measure the diameter? Some swaps used a smaller pulley than others.
I use the larger pulley (≈4") on my install, belt is a 822K6MK.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a pinch you can use some painters tape to wrap around the pulleys just like the would go. Then measure its length. The actual belt will be a little longer to the bend radii around the pulleys, but it should get you in the ball park. Buy a few belts in that range of length, the ones that don't fit can be returned.

boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You already know the rib count (K5/K6 etc). String/tape/twine for length.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The belt the Fiero Factory used on my installation was a Carquest PN K060820. I used a 3800 Alt on mine as it was slightly smaller in size so the pulley may have been a different size. You can always start with this belt and if it does not fit return it and go larger or smaller. Also I had the shredding problem, found the Alt pulley was not in line with the others. I had to make some shims to correct the problem.

Jack
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a huge thanks to all. Once I figure out which one work I will post it here so anyone else will have a good reference point to start with.

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Mechanic was replacing my fuel pump and notice this piece was broken (he told me over the phone it was the fuel pressure regulator) however when I get home and see the part, I believe that is not correct, which leave me with the question....What is this piece called?

After he fixed this issue then he'll tackle the Belt issue and I'll be able to post the model number so anyone else that needs this info can have it.

Thanks
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's called a ' pulsator'.
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad Thank you, I've ordered the part.

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Factory did my 4.9 swap and the belt number I use isCar Quest K060820. This means that is 6 splines and 82 inches long
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2018 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
spirit thanks

I'll pass that number along to my mechanic.

Whichever one he winds up using I'll post here.
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I do wonder if the belt on the 4.5 in my 88GT is the same, I also wonder if it is the belt that came on it while it was in a Seville.

I have it at a shop right now. I think I need a belt anyway, so I will see if I can get them to change belts on it and see what I have and post it.

To be honest though,. I think you are best off with some of the suggestions already posted., Measuring the belt path and getting a few belts around that length should get you back on the road again...
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi bjm362,

Yes I'm going to purchase two belt numbers I've been given and one or two more longer and shorter to see if I have a match.

Right now I'm tackling the fuel pulse dampener issue and since I'm on this I'll be sanding a few small areas of surface rust on the gas tank then I'll finish it with por15.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pulsator was included on the Fiero due to the design of early intank fuel pumps. Modern pumps don't require the pulsator, but be sure to use the submersible fuel line when using fuel line to eliminate the pulsator.
Flyboygt86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flyboygt86Send a Private Message to Flyboygt86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The belt on my 4.9 is 4060827. 6PK2100 the brand is Continental
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update, most of the part numbers suggested (pepboys, autozone, advanced auto parts) did not have in stock. The only one that had an oem 4.9 belt in stock turned out to be 4inches to long.
I ordered one that is 82.5in long and hopefully that will work. Will know sometime this week.

Waiting on the gas tank straps and bolts (on back order from The Fiero Store) hopefully I'll get both in this week.

Once its all set and done I'll post the belt part number and brand that fit.

bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

update, most of the part numbers suggested (pepboys, autozone, advanced auto parts) did not have in stock. The only one that had an oem 4.9 belt in stock turned out to be 4inches to long.
I ordered one that is 82.5in long and hopefully that will work. Will know sometime this week.

Waiting on the gas tank straps and bolts (on back order from The Fiero Store) hopefully I'll get both in this week.

Once its all set and done I'll post the belt part number and brand that fit.

Remember that the Cadillac your 4.9 came out (and my ht4500 as well) would have had power steering. Deleting that would have changed the belt requirements.
According to the mechanic that worked on mine my belt tensioner is not from either a Fiero, or a Seville like what my engine came out of. He also says it is turned around.... That left my belt likely being one off for my application.

Currently, I am studying the Cadillac High Technology engine., Hopefully before it is all said and done we will both be able to give each other information that is helpful!

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tensioner is typically a Camaro 3.4 item.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 09-15-2018).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my build thread (listed in the first post):

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098096.html

Belt size:
This would all depend on your setup. I have usually used 79.5" or 80.0" belts - this ASSUMES, a/c compressor, idler pulley below the alternator and suggested idler near the water pump and Camaro tensioner are used.

Edit: maybe some day I will do something about getting the pictures back in.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-10-2018).]

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mickey Moose, thanks for the info.

I just received the 82.5 in belt today and I would like to order the 80 in one just in case, sending you a PM.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess the answer to this question is how the swap was done. My swap uses a 060790 belt (79") but I use a smaller C130 alternator (for clearance) and it sits lower. If you use the Cadillac alternator undoubtedly the longer belt would be required.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another wrinkle to the belt length question is the size of the idler pulley nearest the firewall.
Some swaps use a 3" pulley, others use a 4" pulley, and they may not all be in the same location on the support bracket.
When I re-did my FF swap, I moved the mounting point of the idler to be able to brace it more securely.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the length of the belt depends on other parts (as I indicated in my previous post that the length is based on those parts I listed being used).

PM replied to.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-14-2018).]

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2018 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: Car being worked on, the latest belt did work being 82.5inch (to long) so I'm getting a 79inch belt as soon as I post this message,and hopefully that's the one.

Stay tuned and I'll post result later on today.

to all that have posted I greatly appreciate it. This forum has never disappointed, Great bunch of people on here.

PS: Car specs: 1987 Fiero GT, swap done at the Fiero Factory by Jeremy (Ed Parks had sold it to him by the time I was able to do the swap) From my records the engine is a 1995 4.9 with A/C and a 93 Camaro tensioner.

As I stated above I'll post the exact part number and brand and inches the belt is just in case anyone else has this setup.

------------------

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2018 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87GT2M6

1297 posts
Member since Jan 2008
unfortunately the 79inch belt was to small. Will by another belt tomorrow and try again.

Stay tuned

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Done, here's the belt size that worked 80inch

See pic for brand

Thank you all!

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Belt was wrong and popped off, the correct belt size is 79 3/4 inch Gates Micro-V K06789

[This message has been edited by 87GT2M6 (edited 09-19-2018).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock