LED tail light bulbs by kgoodyear
Started on: 08-06-2018 08:43 AM
Replies: 7 (891 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 08-07-2018 09:01 AM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought i would pass this along and ask others if they have had a similar experience. In replacing my bulbs in my bulb housing for a display at the 35th Anniversary I noticed a little apron on the #1156 (NAPA) replacement bulb that prevented it from seating all the way. It was certainly easy enough to remedy by using a big fat step bit and ream out the sides to get it to fit. Easy fix! Since I haven't modified for the car do you know if the blinkers will work with the lower wattage draw?

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

I thought i would pass this along and ask others if they have had a similar experience. In replacing my bulbs in my bulb housing for a display at the 35th Anniversary I noticed a little apron on the #1156 (NAPA) replacement bulb that prevented it from seating all the way. It was certainly easy enough to remedy by using a big fat step bit and ream out the sides to get it to fit. Easy fix! Since I haven't modified for the car do you know if the blinkers will work with the lower wattage draw?

Unless it has already been done, you will likely have to replace both flasher units with LED compatible flasher units. They are available from around $7 - $14 each from local auto supply stores. I recently converted three of my four vehicles and have the parts on hand to do the last one after it gets back from the paint shop.

Nelson
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a pair of LED bulbs to test in my modified GT tail lights.........I suddenly had a goofy idea; I put ONE on each side on the inside position......LEDs react faster (Both on and off) so with regular bulbs on the outer edge, it looks like I have (Sort of) sequential turn indicators......But they also look sequential in both directions when you hit the brakes.....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-06-2018).]

Midwest Fiero Clubs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midwest Fiero ClubsClick Here to visit Midwest Fiero Clubs's HomePageSend a Private Message to Midwest Fiero ClubsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In our experience many cars blinkers will still work as long as you only replace the rear with LED and leave the fronts incandescent, or vice versa.
But you may have the turn signal indicators dimly lit when your lights are turned on.

See you at the 35th!

[This message has been edited by Midwest Fiero Clubs (edited 08-06-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's how mine worked on an 87 and on an 88. The electronic blinkers are cheap and easy though.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have all LED bulbs on both my Fieros, and of course, the stock signal flasher won't work with that. The first signal flasher I used was a Novita EP34. You can get these at Auto Zone where the electronic parts peg boards are. It's a 3-pin device, so you plug it into the Fiero 2-pin connector and ground the third pin. There's a diagram on the back of the card it comes on showing the pins. Ground the one labeled "negative".
The Novita flasher flashes a bit too fast for my taste, so later I found some variable rate flashers on line that I use now. They are also 3-pin flashers, and connect the same way.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2018 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 different electronic flashers. Nothing special for either. One came from ebay and just plugged in; the other from BTR, and had a ground wire with a slot for a screw. I used an existing nearby screw on the steering column.

I do notice that at least my indicators blink once or twice after I cancel the blinker, otherwise all good.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 08-06-2018).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use the two prong LED flasher unit it is a direct fit for the Fiero flashers and you do not have to worry about adding ground wires.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock