Started on: 07-13-2018 10:03 PM
Replies: 25 (481 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-17-2018 06:19 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought we were going to talk about burgers and brats.....but no.

The driver is closer to the rear of the car in a Fiero....so when the F-150 pulls up behind you with his brights on...it's a wake-up call for sure.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, since we are lower(To the ground) in our Fieros, it appears that the cars following us are closer.....
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see this on most vehicles I drive, not just Fiero. States w/ "improved" training for new drivers are wast of time because still allow almost any fool the teach them. Like many think they can "multitask" while driving and this problem is way before morons using phones now illegal in many states but they often ignore that fact too.

Plus Fiero like many other older cars/trucks has 3 main problems that doesn't help this...
Old fixtures w/ dirt buildup and other problems.
Wiring/Bulb problems.
PnP Aftermarket LED that often too dim even if everything else is perfect.

Fiero and others fixtures collect dirt over time and can "eat" the "chrome" paint in them too. Why? Many Fixtures Are Not completely sealed to stop this by design. The famous "glue" in Fiero rear lights keeps most areas sealed but not all.
Bad wiring and/or old bulbs can make dim light.
Many have both problems and try brighter bulbs (2357 or LED) and often doesn't help for long or worse make more problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get tailgated in the TDI Fiero, I nail the throttle for a second or two, giving them a cloud of diesel, they usually back off.

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the one thing I like about the spoiler. Often when I get tailgated, the headlights get blocked by the spoiler which makes it a little less annoying.
The aggressiveness and idiocy of it still infuriates me though, and there's a lot of deer in places where I drive so I just have to hope one doesn't run into the road. If a deer *does* run into the road, do I go right through it and take the lesser damage on my front end, or hit the brakes and deal with the other guy's insurance?

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 07-14-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

But yes!

FIERO BBQ TOOLS
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best thing...…. condition yourself to just ignore them. But if their that close, wait till you get to some curves in the road, then really speed up. The benefits of your handling should make them really shrink in your rearview mirror.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They tailgate, I start slowing down.....
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Best thing...…. condition yourself to just ignore them. But if their that close, wait till you get to some curves in the road, then really speed up. The benefits of your handling should make them really shrink in your rearview mirror.

So true. You have to condition yourself to idiots.

I do not get tailed in the Fiero much, but the Toyota Avalon is the target. Constantly on my azz. I just hit the switch on the rear sunshade and forget my troubles.
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was tailgated today by 3 different idiots each one driving a Ford pickup truck on my 13 mile trip from the garage. It felt like a tag team match on a Saturday afternoon. Anyone thought about driving with the sunroof off and carrying a bag of marbles. 1 handful should do the trick.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a bumper sticker that said I brake for tailgaters.

I had one years ago in a truck. I was going into a curve that I knew how fast I could take it with out touching the brake. I drove it in and saw him run off the road. Not sure what he may have hit.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 07-14-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all the "driving aids" they're putting on newer cars now, I have a feeling this kind of behavior is going to get worse. When I watch the commercials for some of that stuff, the level of incompetence (or intoxication) that these features apparently try to cover for is just laughable. And a generation of new drivers is going to become dependent on it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by armos:
This is the one thing I like about the spoiler. Often when I get tailgated, the headlights get blocked by the spoiler which makes it a little less annoying.
The aggressiveness and idiocy of it still infuriates me though, and there's a lot of deer in places where I drive so I just have to hope one doesn't run into the road. If a deer *does* run into the road, do I go right through it and take the lesser damage on my front end, or hit the brakes and deal with the other guy's insurance?
Hitting Deer = Less Damage? Often Not happening.
Many times even small deer can Total your car and trunk. If deer doesn't do the main damage then you can spin out, hit other things, go into ditches, etc, that Totals you. You better hope you have Comp/Collision coverage...

Worse, Fiero and other low profile vehicles you take out the legs of most deer w/ front and body hits, often goes thru, the windshield that have been fatal for people in the car. Is not just fake Moose in Mythbusters can to this. Mules, Donkeys, Cows, etc, can to same thing.

Fiero and some others has HL problems for many things behind you not just Tailgating like Any mid-size trucks and up can flood the car w/ Low Beam HL w/o Tailgating. Worse is when they have SilverStar et al or illegal HL like crap LED/HID "bulbs" in Halogen Shells.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by armos:

With all the "driving aids" they're putting on newer cars now, I have a feeling this kind of behavior is going to get worse. When I watch the commercials for some of that stuff, the level of incompetence (or intoxication) that these features apparently try to cover for is just laughable. And a generation of new drivers is going to become dependent on it.

+1!
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The driver is closer to the rear of the car in a Fiero....so when the F-150 pulls up behind you with his brights on...it's a wake-up call for sure.

mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Also, since we are lower(To the ground) in our Fieros, it appears that the cars following us are closer.....

got the same problem with my Solstice....with other cars

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm always amazed how many people turn into me. How can you miss a bright red car? I've thought about putting a 10' whip antenna on the roof with a light on top!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JMTUT:

I'm always amazed how many people turn into me. How can you miss a bright red car?

I hear ya. There have many occasions where the other driver has been looking right at me, actually making eye contact (or so I thought)... and yet they start executing their turn directly into my path like I don't exist. I don't understand...

PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been guilty of pulling out right in front of someone even after looking. Now I look both ways twice and sometimes three times before pulling out. I attribute it to my age (77). I didn't used to do it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I've been guilty of pulling out right in front of someone even after looking...

So you're the guy!

kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not on my Fiero but mostly on my Civic. We tried this blinking brake light and they seem to get distracted and less were tailgating.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So you're the guy!

That would be me. I'm looking forward to the self driving technology even if it's just extra safety looking out for people like me. I haven't had an accident since 1962 but I can see the day coming when I will have to give up my driving privileges without this future technology.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I'm looking forward to the self driving technology even if it's just extra safety looking out for people like me.

dratts, is it a vision problem or a cognitive thing?

Years ago my girlfriend at the time had go behind the scenes to have her elderly father's drivers license taken away. He had been an orthopedic surgeon, and had improved the lives of thousands upon thousands of people during his long and distinguished career... but he was going to kill somebody while driving unless drastic measures were taken. (I went in his car once... and that was it, never again!) He obviously wasn't very happy about losing his drivers license, but ultimately it was for the best.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-17-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock