Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  LED Taillights? Blinkers and resisitors?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
LED Taillights? Blinkers and resisitors? by copperhens
Started on: 06-04-2018 07:55 AM
Replies: 10 (443 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-05-2018 11:42 AM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every light in my interior is LED(except those in AC delco radio). My sidemarkers are LEDs too. I would like to finish up the conversion with the taillights and front blinkers, but what do I do for resistors so they will blink? I heard you only need two for the back blinkers and it will be okay.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure all you need to have is an LED compatible flasher.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently swapped my tail and stop lights to LEDs on three vehicles and will do so with the fourth one when it gets back from the paint shop. The LEDs that I used were purchased from West Coast Classic Cougar and were a bit less than those sold by Black Top Racing. No resistor was necessary after I changed both flasher units to LED compatible ones purchased from Auto Zone. I did leave my backup lights stock since they are so seldom used.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/info.html

BTW, WCCC gave me a discount for ordering on line instead of over the phone.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-04-2018).]

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I got these, would they work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...A23ZC5CAWCCWWE&psc=1
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

If I got these, would they work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...A23ZC5CAWCCWWE&psc=1

I cannot say if they would work but I do believe that you would be better off using amber and red LEDs instead of just pure white. That being said, I could not get an amber bulb from the source I referenced because they do not stock amber LEDs. I used white with the amber lens and it is acceptable but I would still have preferred an amber bulb. Several of the amber bulbs I purchased from Auto Zone did not work in my cars so good luck if you try something new. Let everyone know how it works in your application.

Nelson
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:
No. "Cool White" is Too High Color Temperature causing pink to purple output and weird light colors will stand out to cops etc. see https://richbrilliantwillin...ture-of-led-lighting
Plus Amazon Ebay and others are full of crap LED that won't last.

Red or "Warm White" Led may not work either.
Many look bright before install but dim under red lens.
Others are way too bright after install and blind drivers behind you or cops think have wiring/driver problems having brake lights on all the time when real have HL are on.
You need LED about same brightness After Install as OE bulbs. maybe a bit brighter.
Avoid all vendors w/o publishing data for high and low output.
See my Cave, LED poisoning and Lighbulbs

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-04-2018).]

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Plasma LED bulbs from WCCC in my Mera and they work as they should with the flashers that were in the car, no resistors needed. I didn't check the type of flashers so they may have been electronic ones.

It is better to use the same color LEDs as the lenses, they will be brighter. I was able to get amber 1157 LED bulbs from WCCC. Their LEDs are very bright and their service is great.

https://secure.cougarpartsc...llow.html?attribs=84

Larry

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 06-04-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

I was able to get amber 1157 LED bulbs from WCCC. Their LEDs are very bright and their service is great.

$26.87 for two bulbs?

Okay, I've got to ask... what makes it worthwhile spending that kind of money (or more) on something as basic as a light bulb?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-04-2018).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can pick up those kind of LEDs off ebay for under $5 each. I've done whole vehicles (save headlights) for about $30.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

I have Plasma LED bulbs from WCCC in my Mera and they work as they should with the flashers that were in the car, no resistors needed. I didn't check the type of flashers so they may have been electronic ones.

It is better to use the same color LEDs as the lenses, they will be brighter. I was able to get amber 1157 LED bulbs from WCCC. Their LEDs are very bright and their service is great.

Larry

The WCCC whites can also be used with the amber lenses and produce a decent amber color. I have installed them on three cars so far and am quite satisfied with the results. Have not been pulled over by a cop yet but you never know what excuse they might use for a stop.

$26.87 for two bulbs?
Okay, I've got to ask... what makes it worthwhile spending that kind of money (or more) on something as basic as a light bulb?

Patrick, there is a very simple answer to your question but it is based on my cars and may not be applicable to all Fieros. All of my vehicles are Meras and there is an issue with the stop and tail lights getting hot enough to distort or melt the back of the housing. If you either have to build a mold yourself or hire someone to do it, the money starts adding up fast and the new housings are not a permanent solution in all cases. Since I did not pay almost $14 per bulb, the economics for LEDs in this location were favorable. Since I needed bulbs for four vehicles, I purchased them in either a six or twelve pack at a reduced price. I also took an additional 10% discount for ordering over the net.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-05-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

All of my vehicles are Meras and there is an issue with the stop and tail lights getting hot enough to distort or melt the back of the housing.

Nelson, in your case I can certainly see the value of spending more on bulbs that run a bit cooler.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock