Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  No Fieros allowed at this car show (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
No Fieros allowed at this car show by formulaWA
Started on: 06-03-2018 02:58 PM
Replies: 43 (1113 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-13-2018 10:58 AM
formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I was taking my yellow Fiero to the Fiero picnic day in Arlington, WA I decided to put it in the Redmond exotic car show held every Saturday morning in Redmond, WA. It is the largest weekly exotic car show in the US. I got in line with a yellow Ferrari in front of me and a yellow Porsche behind me. When I got to the parking director he took one look and said we have a ban on Fiero's. I told him I drove for 4 hours from Vancouver just to be in his show. He told me to drive around the block and get back in line while he consulted the manager for a ruling. As I came up again he told me one of the parking guys would show me where to park just don't ever come back again. When I got in I was surprised at the number of people that stopped to look at it and how many positive comments it got. What was interesting was that it was the under 30 crowd that appeared to be the most fascinated in the car. As I looked around the show I saw a number of very nice cars that owners were obviously very proud of. These included an Austin Mini, Volkswagen Beatles, a 1976 Cadillac and an 81 Camaro. This got me wondering as to the criteria that they use to determine what qualifies as an exotic for the purposes of their show. Given that all those cars were produced in far greater numbers than the FIero and the 88 Fiero was a mid engine sports car with composite body panels, a Fiero specific performance suspension with a rigid space frame and composite body panels that was the best handling production American car built up until that time I guess I was wondering what disqualified it as compared to other cars mentioned above for this show.

https://www.exoticsat.com/about/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by formulaWA:

Exotics at Redmond Town Center

As a fellow Fiero owner, it would be easy to be biased in your favor... but seriously, didn't you read over the Show Criteria posted at their website before you drove four hours to appear at the gate of their show?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-03-2018).]

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed.

I'm actually surprised they allowed the Fiero into an exotics car show.

[This message has been edited by Deabionni (edited 06-03-2018).]

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would never have occurred to me to take a Fiero to an exotics show. And certainly wouldn't have been offended that they didn't want it there.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

I'm actually surprised they allowed the Fiero into an exotics car show.

Actually they have quite a few cars "allowed" on their list that are NOT exotic - but high-performance.

Pontiac: Select Vintage Only (No Solstice GXPs, F body Firehawks, G8 GXPs, etc)

An '88 Fiero would definitely be "vintage" (usually defined as +25 years)
... and was not specifically listed as excluded like the Solstice...
So I'd say they had some "wiggle room" there and he got lucky to be allowed in...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Pontiac: Select Vintage Only (No Solstice GXPs, F body Firehawks, G8 GXPs, etc)

An '88 Fiero would definitely be "vintage" (usually defined as +25 years)
... and was not specifically listed as excluded like the Solstice...

Obviously they can't list every car (vintage or otherwise) that's "excluded". Fieros are simply among the "etc".

he got lucky to be allowed in...

Agreed.

Entertaining passage from Here...

* Lesser-exotics require permission. Please read our FAQs to help determine if you’re an exotic. Drop us a note if you’re worried about getting turned away that day. We don’t want to turn you away any more than you want to be turned away, so please check with us if you’re unsure. We know it reminds you of when you got turned down by that dreamy prom date, but we hate it too. We’re really nice people but some push it with us and that never ends well for the pusher unless you've got a hankering for the, "Tool of the Month" award on YouTube. Oh, and we do video tantrums. Don't believe me? Ask our beloved Thug Behan! Why make the whole world want to slap you. The event is still based around exotics as a priority as we explain to death. Just come in and have fun. Forget about that old prom letdown, because they probably let themselves go anyway and don't even have a job.

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should of had a MERA!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Should of had a MERA!

More rules...
"Properly done Kit Cars are welcome at Exotics as long as they are complete and show worthy.
To narrow it down further, any complete kit by Factory Five or Superformance is more than welcome.
A Fiero based Ferrari is not. "
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ask me the people that run this Exotic Car show have one hell of a nerve excluding a Fiero. Exotic does imply foreign made but they seem to allow certain US brands. Fiero is a special interest mid engined USA made sports car. Do yourself a favor and show up at a general interest all inclusive car show and forget about these snobs. They don't care about us, why should we care about them?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I saw a number of very nice cars that owners were obviously very proud of. These included... Volkswagen Beatles

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero, In my opinion does qualify as an Exotic- At an exotic-car show.......Because it works and is easy to drive! I detest any "Car guy" or organization that exclude cars because of specific bias (That they allowed Minis and VW Beetles show that they are specifically biased Against the Fiero....)

The Fiero actually does qualify as an exotic, legitimately; Space frame, Composite body, mid-engined....What is their definition of exotic? That they cost a lot, that their engines have to be spun over 7000 to develop more than 10 hp, that they take extremely expensive maintenance costs, or that the owner has his nose above is eyebrows?

I like that the Corvette- and now even the Camaro SS- Can toast a bunch of those fancy high-priced exotics........both straight and around tracks......

What is more impressive? To have a hand fitted part that costs a zillion dollars to replace, or a car where 90% of it you can interchange parts from literally millions of cars? Production line-manufactured performance that anyone can buy is better than hand-"Maid" specialty crap that is over-priced and breaks down often....
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been to this show many times and have taken my wife's Sprite for British Day (at their request).

Yes, it's a snobby show; they routinely turn away cars. Sometimes because they don't meet criteria, sometimes because the lot is full. The criteria do flex: The Sprite is not appropriate there on any day except British Day.

But...they are very clear about this on the front end. I mean, this is a show that last year had two LaFerrari, including the only Aperta in the country (at the time) and a $12,000,000+ Aston Marin in which Sterling Moss won several races. The first Chiron in the country was at this show a couple years back. Paganis, Spykers, Koenigseggs, more Lambos and Ferraris on any given day than I can count. It's just not a show for "any man" cars.

I love my Fiero (and Sky), but I'm clear that neither is exotic by any definition, and neither of which belongs in this show, any more than they do Pebble Beach or Exotics at Cannery Row. There are plenty of shows around Seattle (most, in my experience) that welcome our cars and all of them have been recognized with awards.

To bring this back around, we had a great Picnic on Saturday, thanks for being there!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 06-03-2018).]

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As much as I enjoy looking at the cars at an exotic show, I really prefer going to the small parts store shows. The owners seem much more likely to chat and talk about their cars.
Nothing wrong with $120k cars, I just like seeing what the owners built themselves.
I really do think the fiero is going to become more "exotic" in the next 10 years. I've seen 8 crushed in local yards in the last 3 months.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-04-2018).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the photos on their website are any indication, this show is overwhelmingly high-end European models. No, I would not have brought a Fiero.

Weird that they devote that much of their website to explain their "criteria".
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

What's really weird, is despite posting all that "criteria", people still try and sneak their Fieros in.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Cars not being let in has been a major issue for them and that section of their web site has grown from nothing to encyclopedic as a result.

In my book "exotic car" means some combination of expensive, extremely high performance, and very rare. Doesn't have to have all three, but a strong combined total.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As I looked around the show I saw a number of very nice cars that owners were obviously very proud of.
These included an Austin Mini, Volkswagen Beatles, a 1976 Cadillac and an 81 Camaro.
This got me wondering as to the criteria that they use to determine what qualifies as an exotic for the purposes of their show.
https://www.exoticsat.com/about/

formulaWA's question remains unanswered...

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

formulaWA's question remains unanswered...

Like a Doorman at the bar/club who lets the "hot" people in,
the "Gate" person at the show makes the call according to their writeup...

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a weekly show? I think it's going to get stale quickly and after a while they will let in whomever shows up.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

This is a weekly show? I think it's going to get stale quickly and after a while they will let in whomever shows up.

You'd think so, but they must be doing something right. Found the following Here...

Exotics@RTC is an informal weekly gathering of exotic and very rare cars that draws owner and spectators together for mutual enjoyment of all things car-related. The event has grown to become the largest weekly car gathering in the US as far as we know. (We bolded "weekly" because we get so much email asking when we're having our next event...WEEKLY-weekly-WEEKLY!)

Show season begins in April and runs through mid-October, weather permitting.

We had over 30 show up that first freezing cold, hypothermia-inducing Saturday morning in February 2009 and we've never stopped growing...

I suspect the majority of these expensive exotic cars are owned by people involved in the area's high-tech industry. Redmond's largest employer is Microsoft.

PFF
System Bot
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The show is actually considerably bigger than the pic It is actually in several other lots as well. It is very popular every weekend.. All free and all volunteers very well run and managed.

In answer to the above questions Yes I did read the Show criteria, I was not upset that they were not going let me in I was just curious to see if they would. I have attended this show on several previous occasions and I noticed that their definition of Exotic seemed to be flexible when I saw many fine cars such as Beatles, GTI, a Skoda, Citroens, mid 70s Camaros, that 76 Eldorado, C7 stingrays that u can see in any Chevy showrrom etc. I have no illusions about attending a show that only has $150,000+ supercars Thats is certainly not what the Fiero is. However I would kinda think that a Fiero would be as unique as an 81 Camaro or a VW Beatte or even a Porsche 914 with the VW engine. While it did take a while to drive there my primary destination was the Fiero picnic (I was reasonably confident that I met the criteria to be let in there) The Redmond show was about another 40 minutes away. I just figured if they didn't let me in I would just park and go see the cars at the show. Just curious to see how non Fiero enthusiast car enthusiasts would see the car. Curiously as I was leaving two of the younger parking volunteers came over, shook my hand and thanked me for bring the Fiero down.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are we playing "Where's Waldo" in the above picture with all the cars? LOL
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I told him I drove for 4 hours from Vancouver just to be in his show...

...I was not upset that they were not going let me in I was just curious to see if they would...
...I have no illusions about attending a show that only has $150,000+ supercars Thats is certainly not what the Fiero is....
...my primary destination was the Fiero picnic (I was reasonably confident that I met the criteria to be let in there) The Redmond show was about another 40 minutes away...

Don't take offense, man, I'm just busting your balls.

Sounds like a cool show, and I'm glad they let you in and you had a good time while there. It's nice to have people give you compliments on your car. That said, I still don't think a Fiero classifies as an exotic, and I'm surprised they let it in.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are we playing "Where's Waldo" in the above picture with all the cars? LOL

You're not allowed to play until you go back and delete your double post.

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More rules...
"Properly done Kit Cars are welcome at Exotics as long as they are complete and show worthy.
To narrow it down further, any complete kit by Factory Five or Superformance is more than welcome.
A Fiero based Ferrari is not. "

Once again the Ferrari owners group shows their asses. I love parking my 308 at the cars and coffee events and inviting every kid to sit in it and have their picture taken. It's absolutely priceless when they approach the Ferrari owners and request if "They can sit in their Ferrari". I always wave and smile as they have to grit their teeth and open the door for the kids.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Acura: NSX

LOL I was reading the rules about another show and their policy was only one NSX would be permitted.... All others would be turned away. Must be they had too many one year? That's usually how these rules come about. But just imagine being the No. 2 NSX guy who shows up and gets turned away.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Once again the Ferrari owners group shows their asses. I love parking my 308 at the cars and coffee events and inviting every kid to sit in it and have their picture taken. It's absolutely priceless when they approach the Ferrari owners and request if "They can sit in their Ferrari". I always wave and smile as they have to grit their teeth and open the door for the kids.

Love it...

Joe
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops...

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Each show is entitled to their own rules.
Exotic to many = big $$$. Some only envision "Supercars"
While the dictionary definition is "originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country"
I have read Exotic car defined as: "Limited number edition, Expensive, High-end Tech, Stunning looks, Bigger and robust power train"

On a side note.. there have been many shows over the years that have left Fiero out.
Its really alot of labels, assumptions, and the show directors trying to keep their largest contingent happy. Remember the beefs between HotRod guys and Muscle car guys? Muscle car guys and Ricer/ Tuners? Fieros are kind of on that line where the classic cars had ended and the 80s fuel injected era began, but don't fit fully into most common "categories".
Might be part of why I like them. The coolest thing is when the public gets into them in spite of all the naysayers.
The 80s is entering its hey day and I think people are opening their eyes to the goodies that existed after the gas crisis.
However I don't expect a lot of near 1/4 million dollar car owners shows to welcome a car that retailed for around 10k. Oh well

Attend a Fiero show, meet more folks that appreciate our car.
This site has a list of shows in the Midwest:
www.midwestfieroclubs.com

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-04-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Each show is entitled to their own rules.
Exotic to many = big $$$. Some only envision "Supercars"
While the dictionary definition is "originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country"
I have read Exotic car defined as: "Limited number edition, Expensive, High-end Tech, Stunning looks, Bigger and robust power train"

On a side note.. there have been many shows over the years that have left Fiero out.
Its really alot of labels, assumptions, and the show directors trying to keep their largest contingent happy. Remember the beefs between HotRod guys and Muscle car guys? Muscle car guys and Ricer/ Tuners? Fieros are kind of on that line where the classic cars had ended and the 80s fuel injected era began, but don't fit fully into most common "categories".
Might be part of why I like them. The coolest thing is when the public gets into them in spite of all the naysayers.
The 80s is entering its hey day and I think people are opening their eyes to the goodies that existed after the gas crisis.
However I don't expect a lot of near 1/4 million dollar car owners shows to welcome a car that retailed for around 10k. Oh well

Attend a Fiero show, meet more folks that appreciate our car.
This site has a list of shows in the Midwest:
www.midwestfieroclubs.com

You're right events can exclude anyone that they want but any show that turns a Fiero away is highly insulting to me. When we attend Carlisle, it's a comfortable friendly environment. You see people of all ages, races, incomes and different backgrounds there. Everyone gets along fine like a large family and its rare to see a snob. Fiero's are my hobby because it is a car that brings people together. Maybe we are the "low budget crowd" but an all inclusive group of people, who help one another and are always friendly. Enjoying the scenic 3 hr ride West, stopping in Hershey Friday and having fun at the show on Saturday with like minded hobbyists is our main reason for going.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero people need to take their Fieros to non-Fiero car shows to get more exposure for the cars.
Only going to Fiero events is counter-productive to growing our community and increasing the value of our cars.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of criteria, how about posting smaller pictures?

Can't stand scrolling back and forth to read text when someone adds an unnecessarily GIGANTIC picture.

Thank you.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its kind of the opposite of what I've seen too much of. Going to a car show and finding a bunch of new Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes and Mopars. So often, brand new cars are rolling off the car lot, and showing up at Cars N Coffee, or Cruze Nights. I only try to attend shows that require +25 year limit.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 06-05-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
. Everyone gets along fine like a large family and its rare to see a snob. Fiero's are my hobby because it is a car that brings people together. Maybe we are the "low budget crowd" but an all inclusive group of people, who help one another and are always friendly. Enjoying the scenic 3 hr ride West, stopping in Hershey Friday and having fun at the show on Saturday with like minded hobbyists is our main reason for going.

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Fiero people need to take their Fieros to non-Fiero car shows to get more exposure for the cars.
Only going to Fiero events is counter-productive to growing our community and increasing the value of our cars.

I agree.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little off topic but I'm wondering what makes a car have a broad appeal to many people.
I have an 84 Fiero and an 84 Buick Regal T-Type (Think Grand National, just not black) Neither car is a 'show' car, but both look good from 10 feet away.
I can drive the Fiero all day and no one notices, except the old lady that thought it was an 80's Honda Prelude. One trip to the gas station in the Regal, and 3 people are over at the pump talking to me.
I wonder if the Regal could have driven right into the event in question because it seems to have more mass appeal than the Fiero..... but I don't consider it more unique car by any stretch.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Speaking of criteria, how about posting smaller pictures?

Can't stand scrolling back and forth to read text when someone adds an unnecessarily GIGANTIC picture.

Are you referring to this thread? There are no images posted here (without an icon to click) that are wider than 1024 pixels.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-05-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

A little off topic but I'm wondering what makes a car have a broad appeal to many people.
I have an 84 Fiero and an 84 Buick Regal T-Type (Think Grand National, just not black) Neither car is a 'show' car, but both look good from 10 feet away.
I can drive the Fiero all day and no one notices, except the old lady that thought it was an 80's Honda Prelude. One trip to the gas station in the Regal, and 3 people are over at the pump talking to me.
I wonder if the Regal could have driven right into the event in question because it seems to have more mass appeal than the Fiero..... but I don't consider it more unique car by any stretch.

Its all subjective, but Id say the Regal is accepted by muscle car and "go fast" fans. The GN it is similar too is very popular and recognizable.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Its kind of the opposite of what I've seen too much of. Going to a car show and finding a bunch of new Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes and Mopars. So often, brand new cars are rolling off the car lot, and showing up at Cars N Coffee, or Cruze Nights. I only try to attend shows that require +25 year limit.

Yup - I see this a lot.
Everyone wants to show the "classic car" they bought for their birthday!!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thoughts:

Without a year cut off its expected. Since we brushed on the topic of a year cutoff, such as when they cut it off at 64, or 74, etc...I think I have accepted that no cut off is a better thing. Also I like the mixing of the cultures, exposing the young folk to old school stuff, not banning newer Hondas for example. But many events and shows show the bias when they accept most but leave a few out.

The off the lot cars is fueled by the retro designs of the Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, etc. Also by older folks that don't want to work on an older car, (or have a wife they need to compromise with).
But then, what about factory original survivor or restored cars? Some people freak that they are awesome, new ones are just "new" factory original cars....vintage 80s ones are just as original. Some people only want to see stock Fieros, hate mods, but would balk at stock new cars at a show.

I'm not much into the newer cars. But I get why people do them, and bring them to the car events.
You know how they have the giveaways of the new muscle and sport cars, if I won I still would sell it after I won it.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-06-2018).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock