Guanci Pontiac Fiero? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 05-24-2018 10:10 PM
Replies: 14 (648 views)
Last post by: Australian on 06-21-2018 06:24 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2018 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard of this car before. There is an 8 page sales brochure available on Amazon and a photo on eBay, but based on very limited research (curiosity + boredom) It seems that perhaps only 2 were ever produced. It's "rumored" to be based on a Fiero? Referred to as both a 1979 and a 1983 but aside from a couple of links below I'm not sure how the Fiero got tied into this. It seems an interesting story, anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Guan...ochure/dp/B00QPJSNEU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...5:g:lXMAAOSwfshbBs4g

http://carzhunt.blogspot.co...he-got-it-again.html

http://pantera.infopop.cc/e...0045562/m/8790074584
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2018 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just by the timing (1977-79) and looking at the photos, it has NOTHING to do with the Fiero.
More: http://forum.retro-rides.or...9/1979-guanci-sjj1gt

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like just another, perhaps expensive, fiberglass body creation or perhaps a reworked Bricklin. Whatever platform it was built on, the 77-79 model years were not good ones for automobiles. It was made by John Guanci and never went into production.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-26-2018).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were proto type v8 fieros in 1979but don't think this relates.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

There were proto type v8 fieros in 1979but don't think this relates.

Can you provide info to support that statement?
jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were a few prototype fieros in the 60s as well. Don't hold me to it but if memory serves they were a firebird add on deal like the trans am package but they were 2 seaters.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No not a Fiero. Like the fake Lotus stuff it is fake here too.

This was a brain child of a Chicago buisness man that only built two cars.

It had a Corvette L82 but that is about it. Back then a number of folks were looking to build sports cars for the Disco Members Only crowd.

The 60’s Fiero was a Firebird show car. Back then Fiero meant Fi-rebird A-ero Concept. They knew nothing of proud in Italian.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2018 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Can you provide info to support that statement?

Not anymore.....
I used to have info on my site before I deleted it but I am sure there are copies of the pics around.
There were some black and white pics of the concepts which look exacl same as any fiero.

Fiero facts I had listed I cannot find the source as i was 15 years ago.
The V-6 Fiero consistantly accelerated from 0-30 in 2.2 seconds.
The Lamborghini Diablo manages 0-30 in 2.2 seconds
A 4-cylinder Fiero belting out only 370 bhp took the NHRA's Competition Eliminator title
at the Keystone Nationals on September 15, 1985 with a best 1/4-mile time of 9.72 seconds at 134.41 mph.
Several factory prototypes were made of a Fiero convertible.
Two prototypes were made in 1986 of a Fiero with an aluminum frame.
Fiero prototypes were running in 1978.
The Fiero had nearly 3 times as many sales as the MR2 during any given year in its life time.
The Fiero was the first American car to win in IMSA GTU.
Car & Driver called the Fiero, "One of the best cars in America"
and gave the Fiero a slot in their top ten best category.
The Los Angeles Auto Expo gave the Fiero their Design of the Year Award.
Spectators at the unveiling of the fastback Fiero mistook the GT version as a new Corvette.
GM had a problem of employees purchasing Fieros before the public had an opportunity.
This car is a quarter of a century old now 25 years making it a vintage car.
Most replica cars are registered as fieros as easily rebodied over constructing custom chassis.
There have been hundreds of various body panels available over it lifetime for this car.
The latest being a convincing Lamborghini Revolution.
Pontiac even sold a replica Ferrari 308/328 model called the Mera and many Fieros were also converted by dealers.
No I diidn't make this all up it once came from verified sources before every url listed died.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 06-16-2018).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not anymore.....
I used to have info on my site before I deleted it but I am sure there are copies of the pics around.
There were some black and white pics of the concepts which look exacl same as any fiero.

The V-6 Fiero consistantly accelerated from 0-30 in 2.2 seconds.
The Lamborghini Diablo manages 0-30 in 2.2 seconds
A 4-cylinder Fiero belting out only 370 bhp took the NHRA's Competition Eliminator title
at the Keystone Nationals on September 15, 1985 with a best 1/4-mile time of 9.72 seconds at 134.41 mph.
Several factory prototypes were made of a Fiero convertible.
Two prototypes were made in 1986 of a Fiero with an aluminum frame.
Fiero prototypes were running in 1978.
The Fiero had nearly 3 times as many sales as the MR2 during any given year in its life time.
The Fiero was the first American car to win in IMSA GTU.
Car & Driver called the Fiero, "One of the best cars in America"
and gave the Fiero a slot in their top ten best category.
The Los Angeles Auto Expo gave the Fiero their Design of the Year Award.
Spectators at the unveiling of the fastback Fiero mistook the GT version as a new Corvette.
GM had a problem of employees purchasing Fieros before the public had an opportunity.
This car is a quarter of a century old now 25 years making it a vintage car.
Most replica cars are registered as fieros as easily rebodied over constructing custom chassis.
There have been hundreds of various body panels available over it lifetime for this car.
The latest being a convincing Lamborghini Revolution.
Pontiac even sold a replica Ferrari 308/328 model called the Mera and many Fieros were also converted by dealers.
No I diidn't make this all up it once came from verified sources before every url listed died.

The list here is accurate. But it lacks full disclosure. Like the Drag car was a tube RWD chassis and only used a DGP body. Etc.

There was work being done on the Fiero in 1978 but it was limited and just starting. It was around this time Hulki adopted the mid engine lay out from the GM tech center. It was originally a proposal for the Corvette that was rejected. This was in the book Inside the Corvette by Dave Mclellend.

The V8 Fiero came later and was based in a production chassis not a early prototype. Pontiac originally toyed with the Turbo 2.9 V6.

Still this car has nothing to do with the Fiero.

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the "gadget mobile" in sports car mode
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2018 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The list here is accurate. But it lacks full disclosure. Like the Drag car was a tube RWD chassis and only used a DGP body. Etc.

There was work being done on the Fiero in 1978 but it was limited and just starting. It was around this time Hulki adopted the mid engine lay out from the GM tech center. It was originally a proposal for the Corvette that was rejected. This was in the book Inside the Corvette by Dave Mclellend.

The V8 Fiero came later and was based in a production chassis not a early prototype. Pontiac originally toyed with the Turbo 2.9 V6.

Still this car has nothing to do with the Fiero.

Exactly I should have deleted it all forever as rather than try defend any of the information.
All the old geocities urls all the resources links etc are all gone.

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2018 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do not doubt many of your statements nor integrity but to run A 1/4 mile time of 9.72 seconds you need way more than 370bhp. That would be less than 300HP at the wheels. Darkhorizon ran 9's with his 3800 turbo Fiero but he was making 750HP at the wheels and with a shot of nitrous..
As for the Guanci, yes only two of them were built and the creator never got the financing or investors to go into production. That was about the time that the Bricklin came out (IMO a similar car) and that company failed .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2018 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I do not doubt many of your statements nor integrity but to run A 1/4 mile time of 9.72 seconds you need way more than 370bhp. That would be less than 300HP at the wheels. Darkhorizon ran 9's with his 3800 turbo Fiero but he was making 750HP at the wheels and with a shot of nitrous..
As for the Guanci, yes only two of them were built and the creator never got the financing or investors to go into production. That was about the time that the Bricklin came out (IMO a similar car) and that company failed .

The Fiero drag car was a fill tube chassis and was around 370 to 400 HP. The car did not weigh much for the class it ran.

It belonged to the Rod Shop and later the guy at Accel owned it. gam had a lot of info out on the car.

The only factory part s on the cars was the tail lights and the steering wheel.

It did not need anymore HP to run 9 seconds. It was a pure drag chassis.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The Fiero drag car was a fill tube chassis and was around 370 to 400 HP. The car did not weigh much for the class it ran.

It belonged to the Rod Shop and later the guy at Accel owned it. gam had a lot of info out on the car.

The only factory part s on the cars was the tail lights and the steering wheel.

It did not need anymore HP to run 9 seconds. It was a pure drag chassis.

If the car had a full tube chassis, a different engine, gearbox and a fiberglass body shell, it is debatable if that can really be called a Pontiac Fiero. Perhaps Fiero styled race car would better describe it.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The annoying thing is the info has gone it was a pretty fun page to be able to see where the info came from as every statement had a link. As i said it without proof it is all heresay. The fiero drag car was a sd4 off memory it was fiero powered.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock