Strut retaining ring? by Kent Dellenbusch
Started on: 05-10-2018 12:57 PM
Replies: 17 (478 views)
Last post by: Kent Dellenbusch on 05-19-2018 11:21 AM
Kent Dellenbusch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,
Does anyone know the part number for the 88 rear strut rings pictured here? Held in place with 3 bolts, goldish in color.
Thank you.

http://fieroguruperformance.com/?page_id=361
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, they have P/N for 84, and 85-87 in the 22P, nothing for an 88.
I have some, let me see if there is a P/N stamped on them.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for looking. I'm interested in buying if your selling two of them.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No part number stamped.
Will sell you a set, $40.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great,
I can send you a check. My business email is:
Kent@Aviationgroupltd.com

If you care to email me your address I will get $ out to you today.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And if I recall correctly (actually it was something I learned here on the forum), they differ between fastbacks and notchbacks due to where the vents need to attach.

Someone here posted photos of the difference.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a MERA. It is the solid ring with the little tabs sticking up to support a grill at one time. as pictured in original post.
Thank you for adding your insight to this discussion. Much appreciated.
Kent

Like these pictured. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w68k65k/ & http://www.dailyturismo.com...tiac-fiero-mera.html

[This message has been edited by Kent Dellenbusch (edited 05-10-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

...they differ between fastbacks and notchbacks due to where the vents need to attach.

Good point! Another example of why people need to mention year, model etc of their Fieros when asking questions here.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

And if I recall correctly (actually it was something I learned here on the forum), they differ between fastbacks and notchbacks due to where the vents need to attach.

Someone here posted photos of the difference.

The rings that bolt to the strut towers are the same between notchie and fastbacks on the 88's (as well as the same Left/Right). There is a small bracket that bolts to these rings and then bolted to the decklid vents... those are the parts that are different between the two body styles.

As an FYI, those rings are quite hard. I used to cut the vent mounting tabs off and convert the struts to accept bolts to clean up the tops of the strut towers.

Eventually I relocated the top of the struts and replaced the rings with 1/4" aluminum plate:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-10-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean the metal "ring" that's have 3 studs and nut.
Is just reinforcement to help the strut tower.

Many Fiero just have 3 oval shape pieces per tower doing same job. Is bit better then just using heavy washers. (1 washer and nut is under the vent bracket w/ own nut.)
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

both is so nuts can't pull out/thru the tower in most cases.

If missing either type then just use big heavy washers to spread the nut load to a wider area of tower.
Can make/buy a ring if you want but not really needed to drive.

ring is 1 and glorified washers are 53 at https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/
87 car but should be same or very close.

88 may not show/list this in 22P and other parts books but also miss the three nuts etc too so likely another error in GM data.
Or 88 towers are thicker and doesn't need the ring/washers but no nuts? likely just didn't list them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please check your PMs.
PFF
System Bot
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to ask,
where id I find PM's
Kent

Just found it.

[This message has been edited by Kent Dellenbusch (edited 05-14-2018).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kent Dellenbusch:

I have a MERA. It is the solid ring with the little tabs sticking up to support a grill at one time. as pictured in original post.
Thank you for adding your insight to this discussion. Much appreciated.
Kent

Like these pictured. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w68k65k/ & http://www.dailyturismo.com...tiac-fiero-mera.html

Ken,

Meras come with two types of strut top stress distribution devices. One is the conventional ring that you described and another factory style device consists of three oblong pieces instead of the full ring. I have both types installed on Meras. A photo can be provided if you want to see the second design.

Nelson

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ring is exclusive to the 88 models. Previous years used the 3 oblong dished washers.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is good to know. I’m looking forward to receiving the two rings and refinishing them.
Cheers.
Kent
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kent Dellenbusch:

This is good to know. I’m looking forward to receiving the two rings and refinishing them.
Cheers.
Kent

The rings were originally electroplated with zinc from an alkaline bath, and then a yellow hexavalent chromate conversion coating was applied.
Both processes have been replaced, for the most part, due to environmental regulations (chromate) or operating costs (alkaline zinc).

If you opt to have them plated, acid zinc with a yellow trivalent chromate comes close, but is a lot brighter than the original finish.

If you opt to paint them, and want to replicate the original finish, there is a two step process in spray cans that comes close. I don't remember who makes it off of the top of my head, but I can find out.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18006 posts
Member since May 2004
Eastwood makes the paint system.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock