Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Rear "splash guards"-Are you running without them?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rear "splash guards"-Are you running without them? by 86.4SPD.GT
Started on: 05-08-2018 10:33 PM
Replies: 23 (604 views)
Last post by: 86.4SPD.GT on 05-14-2018 10:35 PM
86.4SPD.GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the rear inner fenders and splash guards down out to fix some rusty areas and then apply a fresh coat of paint. The lower splash guards (rubber-like flaps) are pretty much junk. I tried both Rodney's and TFS and apparently these are no longer available so I'm wondering if they are really necessary? My car will only be driven on paved roads but will sometimes be driven in rain. I'm wondering how critical having these installed on these cars will be(?)
I might be able to somehow 'stitch' the multiple pieces back together and try to reinstall them, but I'm wondering if it REALLY is necessary. I realize that the best case would be to have them installed since the factory probably put them there for a reason, but mine have definitely seen better days.
And while I'm at it, how about the stainless(?) spark plug boot protectors? My car didn't have them installed when I bought it, but I did find some on eBay a while back. Again, I imagine that having them installed would be ideal but are they REALLY necessary? My car won't see much stop/go city traffic and should get quite a bit of airflow considering I live in a rural area and most of my traveling will be at 55+ mph.
I guess I'm looking for feedback from those of you that AREN'T running splash guards and/or don't have the spark plug boot protectors installed.
Or, if anyone knows where the splash guards can now be obtained and could point me in the right direction that would also be helpful.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Domtech

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TFS does still sell them:
https://www.fierostore.com/...rowse.aspx?d=262&p=1
I'm guessing that Rodney stopped selling them due to the competition.
86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Domtech.
For some reason, I couldn't find them at TFS so I assumed that they were no longer available.

I did find a few threads explaining how Rodney's(when he offered them) seemed to be the better choice since the one's he carried at least had the holes punched out for all of the fasteners. Apparently the ones from TFS don't (?)
I should be able to use my old ones to at least mark/drill all of the attachment holes.

I'm still curious if they really are needed, so if anyone has any feedback on that please let me know.
Thanks!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT:

I'm still curious if they really are needed, so if anyone has any feedback on that please let me know.

I believe they help prevent road grit that's being picked up by the rear tires from accumulating in the engine bay.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-09-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT:
Thanks!
Yes.
right one keeps crap/oil/salt off of belt(s), AC, V6 alternator, etc, splash by or flung off the tires.
left helps shield inner CV, trans and mounts, etc.

Can buy or make them. Use old as templates. Doesn't have to be exact copy but make sure can't cut into hoses etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the replies.
After much thought and penny pinching, I just decided to order some splash guards from TFS.
I checked eBay for ordering some 1/8" rubber sheets to make my own, but considering I don't have the driver's side splash guard to even make a copy and the fact that the material was going to cost me $30+, I figured I might as well spend the ~$61/shipped~ and get ones already made.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been running w/o them for well over a decade. Never had any issues.
86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was actually hoping that someone "running without them" would have replied BEFORE I purchased them
Oh well, they are already ordered. Better safe than sorry I suppose......

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I have been running w/o them for well over a decade. Never had any issues.

No belt squeal in rain? DO you have a tensioner added?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Same here - no belt squeal and yes I have Dodgerunners tensioner. Having the tensioner is the best way to go period, no having to screw around with the alternator anymore.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose: Same here - no belt squeal and yes I have Dodgerunners tensioner. Having the tensioner is the best way to go period, no having to screw around with the alternator anymore.

Ditto. I chucked most of the heat shields and splash guards in the trash, and never looked back. Most of that stuff was deteriorated, and I didn't feel like replacing it. However, my Fiero is just a toy. I only drive it on paved roads, and when the weather is good. Although I do get caught in rainstorms on occasion (this is Florida, after all).

And BTW, that Dodgerunner tensioner bracket was one of the best upgrades to my V6 engine. IMO, every Fiero V6 needs to have one.

Since you already ordered the splash guards, you may as well install them. It won't hurt anything.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

However, my Fiero is just a toy. I only drive it on paved roads, and when the weather is good.

Yeah, the need for various factory installed components varies greatly depending on geographical location and whether the car's a daily-driver or not. In other words, just because a few people can do without something or another, it doesn't mean that it's practical for anyone or everyone to do without.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-11-2018).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No squeal all were (are) non-stock applications.

Originally posted by Patrick:
Yeah, the need for various factory installed components varies greatly depending on geographical location and whether the car's a daily-driver or not. In others words, just because a few people can do without something or another, it doesn't mean that it's practical for anyone or everyone to do without.

While I don't disagree with you Patrick, here what my experiences has been...
3 Fieros (SBC, 4.3, LS4), 15 years, 150,000+ miles, daily driven for 10 months of year (the 4.3 was year round - even in snow), roads were concrete, asphalt, gravel, oil, dirt, grass, and driven in IL, IN, OH, MI, WI, IA, MO, KS, AR, TX, MS, AL, GA, KY, TN, FL.

Water doesn't "cause" belt squeals, but it can help "identify" issues with tension, belt wrap, pulley alignment, and belt condition.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-11-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, the need for various factory installed components varies greatly depending on geographical location and whether the car's a daily-driver or not. In others words, just because a few people can do without something or another, it doesn't mean that it's practical for anyone or everyone to do without.
Plus as cheap as GM is, they put them on and spent more money on upgraded to tougher material for 87 and 88. My 87 "splash guards" are dirty but have 220,000+ miles and still in good shape.

And just because belts doesn't squeal = belts doesn't have problems is nonsense. Belts and other parts often wear out sooner because road crap on them.
Worse new belts (Most made after 2000) made of EPDM wear out and often never squeal or crack.
Dayco and Gates have plastic tools to check belt wear. (both YT vids. Don't think either is free now.)
Gates also have/had an phone app that take a picture and look at them but never used it. Need a silver sharpie to try this.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

While I don't disagree with you Patrick, here what my experiences has been... driven in IL, IN, OH, MI, WI, IA, MO, KS, AR, TX, MS, AL, GA, KY, TN, FL.

I notice none of those locations are near the Pacific Northwest. It rains here a lot... all year round. I don't know for sure (because I haven't wanted to try it), but I suspect a Fiero engine bay would be a filthy mess after a few years of unimpeded water borne crud being splashed up from off the road. Heck, I'm surprised at the amount of sandy grit that somehow finds its way into the front compartment under the hood.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2018 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not run splash guards in 10 years. I have put 34,000 miles on MY 87GT since then. I have driven through all of the weather here. I am a very clean person, and I have found no ill effects from not putting the old torn up splash guards on. I have not gone through belts, alternators, or any part due to wear from debris. I have recently driven down a wet snowy road for over 40 miles on one of our drives last week. I washed the car yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sorry folks, but it is what it is. I do not use them. I am not putting them back on. Take it for what you will.

My frunk is used for storage. I do not have a spare any longer. I have not modified it in any way to help seal out the elements. It stays clean and dry. Never had a leak or debris intrusion there either.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-12-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will basically repeat what Tony said, based on my experience.
Soft splash shields removed.
8 years of service like that, March to November daily driving.
Frunk stays absolutely clean.

Here are my observations:
1. Makes maintenance easier
2. Stop abrasion on A-arm; for 84-87 cars, the splash shield rubs on the A-arm. The paint is rubbed off in the contact area; this does not look good.
3. Very occasional belt slip on my 2.8; not sure if the splash shields would have prevented this.

As for dirt accumulation, engine bays need at least annual washing (hose, degreaser, scrubbing) to look decent... so worrying about the dirt accumulation over a period of several years is a moot point, in my opinion.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two people seem to have mentioned the frunk (front trunk) in this thread and I don't undersrtand what that has to do with the rear flexible rubber splash guards?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-14-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
BTW, that Dodgerunner tensioner bracket was one of the best upgrades to my V6 engine. IMO, every Fiero V6 needs to have one.

Is this bracket from Dodge?

Tell me more about it.

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Is this bracket from Dodge?

Tell me more about it.

Take a look for yourself Dodgerunner Bracket
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Two people seem to have mentioned the frunk (front trunk) in this thread and I don't undersrtand what that has to do with the rear flexible rubber splash guards?

Patrick mentioned sandy grit getting in places.

My only thoughts were that if someone is getting their frunk wet, then perhaps they have something askew. Mine is unmodified other than the spare taken out and storage space freed up by using a smaller washer bottle and mounting it in a different location. All of my plastic is there and it stays sealed in all weather.

I did not mean to derail.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I felt my post was more or less self-explanatory. Water being slashed up from a paved road isn't clean, it's filthy. When the water evaporates, it leaves a mess.

I notice none of those locations are near the Pacific Northwest. It rains here a lot... all year round. I don't know for sure (because I haven't wanted to try it), but I suspect a Fiero engine bay would be a filthy mess after a few years of unimpeded water borne crud being splashed up from off the road. Heck, I'm surprised at the amount of sandy grit that somehow finds its way into the front compartment under the hood.

My battery is mounted up front. It's possible the water and grit is making its way into the front compartment through the small holes in the front that the cables are routed through. It's not a lot of road water that gets splashed in, but the grit does accumulate over time.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:
Take a look for yourself Dodgerunner Bracket

Thanks for the link, Spadesluck.

Wow! I can't believe I missed this one.

Hope DR still makes it.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 05-14-2018).]

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received the splash guards today from TFS. They are very nice pieces and FWIW they DO have all of the required mounting holes punched out. I read somewhere that they didn't, but that is not true (at least compared to the ones that they are selling now). They installed/fit perfectly. I'm glad I decided to order them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock