Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Voltage wire for dash meter--where'd it GO!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Voltage wire for dash meter--where'd it GO! by kgoodyear
Started on: 05-07-2018 01:42 PM
Replies: 11 (167 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 05-07-2018 10:01 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am wiring the dash of my fieero 3800sc GT(p). I tried to label all my wires when I removed the old dash but I seem to have lost my voltage wire. If I were to rerun my wire for the voltage meter where would I wire it to on my engine?

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volt meter is fed from GAGE fuse, not dedicated wire in engine compartment.
The feed wire is on one of the instrument cluster plugs.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 05-07-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Volt meter is fed from GAGE fuse, not dedicated wire in engine compartment.
The feed wire is on one of the instrument cluster plugs.

The problem is I am new to this and there isn't much stock on this car and engine. I don't know GAGE. is there a way i just hook it to the generator
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car use aftermarket gages?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes they are from SPEEDHUT
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GAGE fuse is in the fuse panel.

Speedhut makes overlays for the OEM Fiero gages.

The wiring for the VOLT meter is in the harness plugin on the gage cluster.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks like I got it figured out. Thanks
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! What did you figure out?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, in spite of your kind advice, I had to go to my friend (who explains things to me as if I were a child) and he advised me i have an alternator not a generator and told me what the meter shows is "what is going into the battery when the engine is running. That, he said will be about 14 volts. When I turn the ignition to the on position that is what is in the battery now which I would guess was 12 volts. The important thing was to get a wire that is on only when the key is in the on, start and run position. If I had problems with the starter not working I could look at the meter and tell immediately if it was because of a bad battery or not a bad battery. He also told me never to run the car without a battery.

I have to admit though, it would seem to me with there being 14 volts coming from the alternator and the 12 volts in the battery that there would be some problem in the differences in the electromotive force and it would somehow average out or something. So, tomorrow I have a good idea where to find such a wire. Also, realize my dash has been completely disassembled and all of the gauges replace with aftermarket gauges and others added, such as boost, transmission temperature and oil temperature.

I would show you pictures of my dash but I'm too embarrassed with all the extra wires dangling down. I did though carefully label wires as I traced them to their destination. In a couple of cases though, the label came off so I kind of have to punt. I'll put some pictures up when I have the dash and console done. It is yellow diamond plate.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't shock me (pun intended), I do a lot of automotive wiring repairs.
The switched ignition power wires in the GM harness are pink.
And your friend is right, it is an alternator.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

I would show you pictures of my dash but I'm too embarrassed with all the extra wires dangling down. I did though carefully label wires as I traced them to their destination. In a couple of cases though, the label came off so I kind of have to punt. I'll put some pictures up when I have the dash and console done. It is yellow diamond plate.

Some might make a quip, but we're here to help. I think a big part of being a Fiero owner is that most of us enjoy (love) a challenge. As long as it's not a front manifold bolt, eh?

Myself, I've pulled enough dashes (and have a parts car with the dash already pulled, for reference) to have a good grasp on what wires can be found in their respective locations.

So, don't hesitate to ask!
PFF
System Bot
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am taking it slow and easy. I learned early on that the labels don't stick so well to the wires so I started to tie a granny not at the end of the wire so it would not slide off then end of the wire. .

I appreciate the help guys!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock