215/45r17 front-225/45r17 rear fitment? by 86.4SPD.GT
Started on: 05-01-2018 08:27 PM
Replies: 18 (479 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-26-2018 06:08 AM
86.4SPD.GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, let me say that I realize that wheel/tire topics are beat to death on this (and any) car forum.
I did do several searches looking for my answer before I decided to post this question, so please don't get upset with me.

After searching for about 2 weeks(off and on) I finally found a set of wheels that I would like to buy. They are 17x7 +38 offset with a 5x100 bolt pattern.
I wanted to go with something with a +35 offset, but choices seem REALLY scarce and I didn't like any of the wheels I found with those exact specs. This is somewhat of a hard car (for me anyways) to try and purchase wheels/tires for.
The wheels I am looking to buy are offered with 2 @ 215/45r17 (front) and 2 @ 225/45r17 (rear) tires included(mounted/balanced) as a package deal.
I wanted the 2 sizes to instead be 205/50r17 (front) AND 215/50r17 (rear), but I haven't heard back from the seller yet if he is able to provide those tires.
While I wait, can anyone confirm that the 215/45r17 will work on the front and the 225/45r17 will in fact be fine on the rear with the 17x7 +38 wheels(front and rear). This will be on an otherwise completely stock 1986 fiero gt.
The tires (215/45 and 225/45) are only slightly smaller OD than the 2 stock sizes, but of course they are also slightly wider than stock. This is what worries me. I do know that my speedo will read about .5 mph faster than actual @ 65 mph. That doesn't really bother me much.
Since these wheels are the only thing I have found after all of my searching that I actually like, I would love to purchase them.

As a bonus, if anyone is actually running these exact sized tires and could offer picture(s) that would be GREATLY appreciated.
Or if anyone can point me in a direction to purchase wheels that will actually fit a fiero, that would also help me out. I have exhausted eBay searches and only what results Google will direct me in my search.

In closing, I again want to apologize for asking an exhausted question about wheel and tire fitment but I did search, I promise
Thanks in advance for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They actually should fit nicely.

I had an 84 that I installed 17x7, 38mm, 215/45-17s on the front and 17x8, 35mm, 235/45-17s on the rear. They fit fine.

Not really good pics, but this will maybe give you an idea.

(The rule of thumb that I use is that most anything, within reason, that will work on a VW New Beetle will also work on most any 84-87 Fiero.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-01-2018).]

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar. That definitely puts my mind at ease if the wheel supplier can't offer me the 50 series tires that I want.
I did find several threads about tire fitment here (obviously) but you would think that Pontiac made the 1988 year Fiero for 4 years and the 84-87 model for only one year(combined). Most posts/threads talk about 1988 wheel fitment.

[This message has been edited by 86.4SPD.GT (edited 05-01-2018).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
215/45 front, 245/45 rear. fit fine on my 88.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
215-45/R17 in the front and 235-45/R17 in the back.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/098213-2.html#p44
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wheels are 17x7" +40mm. That's only 2mm more offset than the OP, so basically the same size. I used to run 215/45-R17 on all wheels, with plenty of clearance. Now I'm running 205/50-R17 front and 225/45-R17 rear, still have plenty of clearance. So I think you'll be fine.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT:

Thanks Raydar. That definitely puts my mind at ease if the wheel supplier can't offer me the 50 series tires that I want.
I did find several threads about tire fitment here (obviously) but you would think that Pontiac made the 1988 year Fiero for 4 years and the 84-87 model for only one year(combined). Most posts/threads talk about 1988 wheel fitment.

The 88s just have very special fitment issues, compared to the earlier cars. Kind of a PITA.

As I posted earlier... Most anything, within reason, that will work on a VW New Beetle will also work on most any 84-87 Fiero. The offsets and such are just about perfect.
Speaking in generalizations... 17x7 with a 35 offset would be my ideal choice for a Fiero. 225/45-17s on all four corners would allow them to be rotated, if that's "a thing". Your choices should be fine, if you want staggered sizes.

If you haven't seen it, there is a "show us your rims" thread that has tons of pics. Specs are occasionally posted.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052912.html

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-02-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

My wheels are 17x7" +40mm.
Now I'm running 205/50-R17 front and 225/45-R17 rear, still have plenty of clearance. So I think you'll be fine.

The wheels and tires of my old 1985 Fiero in the following pictures have exactly those same specs. But the the front wheels are spaced out a few mm due to installing brake rotors over the factory rotor/hubs.

The 205/50R17 front tire rubbed the wheel well liner a little bit on one side, with the steering near full lock. This car had been in a front-end accident, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(Before I start my rant, thank you to everyone who offered their help thus far.)

After sending the 'seller' an email 2 days ago with no reply and then trying to call his 'business' number today a few times with no answer, the 'seller' has ended the eBay auction listing. It 'said' that there where 10 sets available just this morning. I am about to just give up trying to find wheels for this car and just live with the 32 years old stock wheels. But, I hate buying new tires for wheels that I don't even like and buying tire sizes that are almost discontinued. The tires on the car right now are severely cracked/dry rotted.
I can't believe how hard it is to find a set of wheels for this car without buying something that is just plain ugly(IMO) or machined for 2 different size wheel patterns!
Every wheel I've tried to pursue ends up being not available or discontinued even though the seller says that they have several sets before I tried to purchase them. It seems that most sellers list items that they don't even have and/or can't even get.

The major wheel/tire suppliers that I have checked online barely have anything that even fits the fiero let alone anything that actually looks good. (pissed off face inserted here)

Anyone know of any reputable online wheel/tire suppliers that may have a 17x7 +35(or +38) 5x100 wheel available? I would like to find something that is only drilled for a 5x100 pattern and something that is black/machined in color(preferably).
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TSW has wheels in that size, with similar offset, in 5x100, and in black
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT: I would like to find something that is only drilled for a 5x100 pattern...

PFF
System Bot
86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Blacktree ^^^^^^ for reminding me

It seems that there are in fact a lot more options when I started checking into 17x8 instead of just 17x7. As long as I stick to the +35 offset, I'm thinking that I should be okay since that would keep the wheel out more away from suspension components.(?)

Then I start thinking about how people say the wider tire/no power steering will make it harder to turn @ slow speeds/etc. I also have taken note that ideally the fiero will handle better with a slightly wider tire in the rear as compared to the front. Would going with an 8" wheel limit me to tires that will be too wide for decent handling? I plan to drive this car on rural roadways but NOT on a race track.
Oh well. I guess I can just keep searching/reading and filling my head with even more unneeded doubt.
Hopefully I don't spend the enTIRE summer wasting my time contemplating which wheels and tires to buy.
boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

215/45 front, 245/45 rear. fit fine on my 88.

What are the rim sizes and offsets for both? Looks perfect.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2018 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
code:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoModel=Beetle&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=GLS+2.0+4cyl

Scroll down. There are dozens of possibilities. 17x7, 17x7.5, 17x8. Or you can choose other diameters. They do wheel and tire packages, too.
I've dealt with them before. Great service.

Edit - Directly clicking does NOT work. You can copy and past the link. THAT works. Strange...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-03-2018).]

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar!
Although your link didn't take me to tirerack(it took me to a bunch of beauty products or something), it did make me at least go to tirerack's website and have a look. I usually order all my tires from discount tire direct since they usually seem to have way better prices than tirerack when I checked in the past. This time, tirerack was the website that would actually allow me to even view 17" wheels. Discount tire direct wouldn't even allow me view 17" wheels for a 1986 fiero even though it did offer it as a choice(?). It just kept coming up with no search results for 17" wheels.

I found something that I liked at tirerack and they are going to be delivered on Tuesday. I went with 215/45/17 front and 235/45/17 for the rear. I plan to lower the car eventually(hopefully). That will come later though.
I couldn't link the tirerack image here but here is a picture I found on a quick google search:

At least now I can focus on other things that I need to get done before this driving season is over.

[This message has been edited by 86.4SPD.GT (edited 05-03-2018).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I like those!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40721 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT:

Thanks Raydar!
Although your link didn't take me to tirerack(it took me to a bunch of beauty products or something), it did make me at least go to tirerack's website and have a look.

That's odd. It's broken when I click on it now, too. Basically, it was a "VW Beetle" search, for 17" wheels. Nothing really special about it..
Edited - It sorta works now. Copy and paste.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-03-2018).]

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple weeks ago, I received the wheels/tires from tirerack. I figured I would post a few pictures in case anyone stumbles across this thread and would like to know how the wheels/tires I chose ended up fitting. My thread title is a little misleading since I decided on a 235 instead of 225 in the rear, although I am glad I chose the slightly wider tire. It fits nicely.
The wheels are 17x7.5 with a +35 offset.

Here is a picture of the car with the wheels:

Here is a picture of the rear(235/45/17) tire:

And here is the front(215/45/17):

I am very happy with the wheels and the tire sizes I chose, which are very close to the overall diameter of the stock 15" tires.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! Nice job!
Me likey!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock