New Fiero Owner? help! by musicmansam
Started on: 05-01-2018 09:25 AM
Replies: 7 (179 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 05-01-2018 12:40 PM
musicmansam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a Fiero soon. I found a nice looking 87 GT on craigslist for $3k. It's never seen a winter and looks in very good condition. Asked the guy is there was anything big wrong with it and he says the battery is shot (no big deal) and that there's a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket. Is this something I should be very worried about? He claims it does not affect performance whatsoever but i know y'all here would know better than many. I'm still new to the car scene, especially Fiero, but am really looking forward to getting into it. Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"It's never seen a winter" and "leak in the exhaust manifold/gasket." yet "claims it does not affect performance whatsoever" are reasons to question the rest of any statements you hear. So "Is this something I should be very worried about?" is yes and if you can't check out in engine bay etc then have someone check for that and more problems.

Any exhaust leaks are a problem and cause many other problems that may not be obvious right now. Exhaust Leaks pointed to wiring etc can kill the car on the highway or even cause a fire.

Even if true "It's never seen a winter" clear roads still have salt even in summer in many places. Fiero "plastic" body likes to hide major rust problem. Quick check w/o getting under the car... Big area is look under sides of trunk carpet. Use a flashlight to look at front cross member, radiator, etc, when hood is open. Look into front bumper air inlet too.

Many have questionable mods or "upgrades" that often causes problems like user Blmkso is dealing with for crap Brake "Upgrades" to pass VA Inspection...
Started with //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141197.html and now //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141245.html

Warning: Do Not jump a car w/ dead battery. That can damage the car w/ dead battery and/or the jump car/unit. Example: Jumped car can turn on the alternator and kill it because Dead battery can "overload" the alt and fry the diodes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-01-2018).]

CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring a fresh battery (group 75, side post) when you do a test drive. Sometimes, certain vague conditions specified by a seller, like that, or "bad fuel pump", "carb needs adjustment" just mean it won't run, and they are minimizing whatever condition(s) actually exist, or they don't know what is actually wrong. Anyone not frail, who is marketing a vehicle, would have the battery charged and ready for test drives? Do not assume any car is rust free, even if they say "always garaged", "never driven in winter", especially a Fiero. Check the underside, engine cradle, and under the trunk carpet.
Fiero exhaust manifold sometimes crack, this forum will provide photos of problem areas to check, but seeing a manifold crack can be difficult while it is on the car. Replacing a cracked manifold can be expensive at a shop, or a struggle to do yourself, so get that diagnosed for sure before negotiating a final price.
This forum is a great resource. You can find answers and descriptions for all the good and bad aspects of Fiero ownership here, just ask, or use the forum Search function.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (DD)

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-01-2018 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome and ask away! We are a helpful bunch.

musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or, I also recently found an 86 fiero, but this one has a 3.4 swap from a Camaro. I've tried doing some research and have found that this swap has been common and a good choice for many, but I tend to be weary around personal modifications should there be errors. I just messaged the seller to find out more- what all should I be weary of in this specific vehicle? Thank you again for everyone's help
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by musicmansam:
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a Fiero soon.

I'm still new to the car scene, especially Fiero, but am really looking forward to getting into it. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by musicmansam:
... what all should I be weary of in this specific vehicle? Thank you again for everyone's help

The answer to your last question was covered by theogre and CJB118 a few posts up.
Your first two questions ... take your time, do some research (as you are doing now), and figure out exactly what you want. Don't just buy a Fiero. Patience is a virtue.

I took note that you are new to the car scene. Meaning young, dumb, and full of umm ... naive, ignorant. I say that with respect because I was, we all were too. You likely are not too full of cash so spend your money wisely. Otherwise you will have more than one Fiero (like many of us do). We all get a better one later or spend bucks modifying ours.

I suggest trying to attend some Fiero events and look, see, and ask questions. See if you have a Fiero Club that you could attend some regular meetings.

To me, (to each their own,) the holy grail of Fieros is the 88GT T top. The poster a few posts up, CJB118, owns an 88 T top, as CJB is a factory code for T tops. The 88 Formula is also highly prized by many. The first year Fiero Indy is another one.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35768 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
Welcome and ask away! We are a helpful bunch.

musicmansam, any Fiero you are seriously considering, let one of us contact the seller, just ask. We can weed out the problems.

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. Like it has already been mentioned ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research of your own. Fiero's could be a challenging car to learn on simply because there is not a big scene for them like say a mustange/camaro. However it is not impossible.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock