New member and first time Fiero owner. by TOMZILLA
Started on: 04-27-2018 06:29 PM
Replies: 25 (557 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 05-01-2018 08:56 AM
TOMZILLA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello guys I'm a new member to this forum and a first time Fiero owner. I just bought a 1988 GT 5 spd with 34,000 miles from an auto auction. I bought the car not running. After finally getting it shipped to my place I found the fuel pump was bad. So after throwing in a fuel pump and getting it to run it has a bad miss. Sounds like it missing on some cylinders but more concerning is the antifreeze is foaming. So I'm assuming the head gaskets are blown. I'm going to attempt to replace them in car or worse case drop the engine. Sounded like the throw out bearing was rattling to so maybe better off just dropping the engine. I'm even thinking of an engine swap but not sure I have the time to take it on now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the insanity!
TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some pics of my new pride and joy in my messy garage if this link and Google work right. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lxolfNTu6hA9qTIH2
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2018 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty great looking car. Sounds like you got a handle on maintenance and such.

This forum is a great avenue for all things Fiero.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome. Clean looking GT.

Originally posted by TOMZILLA:

...the antifreeze is foaming. So I'm assuming the head gaskets are blown.

Don't start making assumptions! Blown head gaskets on the 2.8 are rarely mentioned here. What procedure have you used for topping off the coolant?

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't topped the coolant. After I finally got it to start I ran it for 30 seconds and said I better check the coolant. I shut it off took the cap off and it looked like shaving cream coming out of it and a ton of built up pressure for such a short run. I also took out all the plugs and found rust around the hex portion of the back 3 plugs. I'm leaning towards the rear head gasket is blown but maybe I'm wrong.

Here a short video of me pulling on the valve in the engine cooling cap letting out some foam. I also check the cap on the radiator and it was foaming just as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSKXnFv-rc
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front three spark plugs get rusty because water from the roof/trunk lid/rear window condensation is always dripping down in that area.....But the foam doesn't look good.....Has your car had a rabies shot recently (Joke).......
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here a short video of me pulling on the valve in the engine cooling cap letting out some foam. I also check the cap on the radiator and it was foaming just as much.

Is that a freakin' tire valve in the middle of the thermostat housing cap??!!!

OMG... I've been here almost 20 years and thought I'd seen it all. This is a first!

So you checked the coolant level after you started it for the first time? It's probably "foaming" simply because it's low.

This is the procedure I've used with half a dozen different Fieros to fill and burp the coolant system.

Originally posted by Patrick:

* Make sure rad cap is the proper one for Fiero use. The catalogs are wrong! You want a non-vented one,
* Check that the overflow tank and the small hose to the rad are both in good shape. Otherwise air gets sucked in.
* Ensure that coolant level in overflow tank is at the "Cold" level.
* Position rear end of Fiero higher than the front.
* Remove thermostat housing cap and thermostat... and then add coolant to thermostat housing with rad cap also removed until coolant runs out the top of the radiator.
* Re-install rad cap.

* Continue to add coolant until you see the level come up to where the thermostat normally sits.
* Put thermostat cap on and turn just barely enough to hold cap on.
* Start engine and run for about 30 seconds.
* Remove thermostat cap and check coolant level.
* Repeat last four steps until coolant level no longer drops.

* Re-install thermostat and thermostat housing cap.

As long as there are no blockages anywhere in the cooling system and the water pump is circulating coolant, you should be good to go.

And with your video in mind... get a new thermostat housing cap!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-27-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
most times coolant does not foam like above unless contaminated by whatever. Possible examples:
Fuel Oil and/or Exhaust from crank block/head or bad gasket(s).
"Flush Cleaners" not flush out before filling.

crank head etc can fake boil over too even w/ engine cold.
often coolant will get to oil and have Milkshake oil looking like latte in the pan and on dipstick.
All depends just where the bad spot is.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And with your video in mind... get a new thermostat housing cap!

I know right. A tire valve stem in the coolant cap. The guy that owned this car must have been a first rate crackpot. He thought he was Jake the snake or Snake Plissken. He had snake skin cloth on the gauge trims, door panels, snake skin seat covers, yellow wire loom on every wire and hose he could find on the engine and painted the intake yellow/gold. The good thing though everything I pulled the snake skin off looks brand new. I was pipe dreaming while the car was being shipped in about changing the seats to leather. But I tell ya the cloth seats look brand new so for now there staying.

I topped off the antifreeze and the foaming seemed to calm down to nearly none but the engine miss is still there. Tomorrow I'm going to change the plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Gonna have to give it a good look over to. Someone had their hands all over this motor. There was old exhaust gaskets and new ones lying in the rear trunk. Also an old distributor cap, thermostat and spark plugs. I question if the spark plug wiring is even right.

Anyone got a spark wiring diagram for this engine?
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2018 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Hope to see you at Carlisle! Learn more at www.mafoa.com

~ Jen
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car! That interior looks mint good score

shem
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! That is a very nice looking car for sure. Just like others have said that interior looks mint.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Tom,
Welcome to the Fiero craze ! Wow, that's a beautiful 88 you have there. You picked the right year too ! I'd say its well worth whatever it will cost to get her all straightened out.
Never saw a foam issue like that. Things with Fieros can get crazy, but we love these cars and take pleasure in keeping them alive.
Heres my story, short version of corse. I bought my 88 around the year 2000. When I first saw it, it was in the sellers garage with the entire ignition system removed. Since I knew I was going to immediately have my Fiero rebuilt, I had no problem in not seeing if the car would run. I had it planned out to purchase the Fiero Stores Hi-Per engine kit and have the engine rebuilt. The car was towed from Maryland to Oley Pennsylvania where this great guy name Jim rebuilt my Formula. To this day, with no exaggeration, my Formula runs just as good as I day I backed it out of his garage. So if your going to drop the cradle and do the things you mention, you may want to consider a total rebuild. My Formula purrs effortlessly at 100 mph , and I owe it to the rebuild. ( I don't always drive that fast, just like to give her a run from time to time ).
Whatever you decide to do, do it, cause that's a beautiful car and I assure you your gonna get all kinds of attention once shes on the road. Keep us informed on your progress and best of luck !
TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car came from Alabama at an insurance auction. I believe it was a donated car and sent there being they couldn't get it running. Its not damaged or a branded title its just what charities do when they don't run and have no idea what to do with them. It ended up costing me $950 to have it shipped though.

I'm trying to avoid dropping the engine right now. Doing so isn't a problem as I do have a lift it's just finding time and dry docking the car on my lift. I'm a 20+ year body man. Years back I closed my shop and moved operations to my home garage. I don't work on anyone else's cars now I got sick of people wanting it done yesterday and for half price. Instead I got into buying/selling rebuildable accident damaged cars for side work and toy money. Right now I have a 17 Ram Rebel I plan on bringing in the garage on Monday. So for now the Fiero only gets bolt on loven.

It gives me some time to think over what color I want the GT. The paint is in good condition but what's the point of being a painter and not having a perfect paint job. I have 4 colors in mind. GM Diamond white pearl tri coat, Lamborghini metallic yellow, Lamborghini metallic orange or Ford burgundy tri coat. I'm leaning towards Diamond white to avoid a total color change keeping the car near original with a modern touch. A bunch of garage buddies are screaming orange...

[This message has been edited by TOMZILLA (edited 04-28-2018).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find! Good luck with your project.

About that white... Check out the pearl white that Lexus uses on their IS series (and probably others.)
A white or burgundy 88 GT is my "holy grail" Fiero.

Edit - BTW... The V6 firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, going clockwise around the distributor.
No.1 is usually on the side of the distributor nearest the main part of the upper intake. (Of course, if it's been messed with, there's no telling...)
The cylinders are numbered passenger side to driver's side, 1-3-5 on the trunk side bank. 2-4-6 on the window side bank.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-28-2018).]

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep it was messed with. They must have had installed a distributor at some point. They installed it 180° out. Number one is in number 4 position. Head still shaking...

Anyway it's running decent just a little sluggish of an idle throttling up and some backfires out the intake.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

a little sluggish of an idle throttling up and some backfires out the intake.

Did you have the ALDL jumper installed when doing the ignition timing?

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't make any timing changes. I did a quick check of the timing and both were just about 10 degrees so I left it for now. I had a busy day and was just playing with the Fiero for a couple minutes here and there. Most likely I'll replace the distributor and may do the injectors to. The car idles great but once I start ramping up the throttle it seems to bog around 1000 to 1500 rpm and revs up perfectly from there. Thanks for the reminder on the jumper though.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't make any timing changes. I did a quick check of the timing and both were just about 10 degrees so I left it for now.

Well... if it was 10° BTC without the jumper in place, the ignition timing is way too retarded.

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I don't have anything planned for tomorrow so I'll check it with the jumper in as your saying. I assume they did a replacement distributor and not knowing set the timing at 10 without the jumper.
PFF
System Bot
TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to replace all the old tired parts. I ordered a new alternator, starter, motor radiator cap (tire stem eliminator), serpentine belt, spark plugs and wires. I already replaced the cap and rotor being the local store had them. Most likely going to do the distributor like I said early and the fuel injectors. But one question if someone knows. What is the difference between Standard Motor FJ9 and FJ27 injectors?
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! Very little rust which is great.

I was wondering what the heck that was on the driver's side door panel- Snake skin??
TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
I was wondering what the heck that was on the driver's side door panel- Snake skin??

Yes previous owner thought he was a snake charmer. He had the door panels and gauge trim covered in snake skin cloth material along with snake seat covers. It looked like crap but protected the parts and once removed they looked like brand new.
Does anyone know where I can buy a set of the scoop quarter panels?

[This message has been edited by TOMZILLA (edited 04-29-2018).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of the scoop quarter panels?

Send a PM to Sage on this forum. (Sage Glassworks)
He did all the parts molding for Fiero Warehouse, and is a good guy!

Here are my FW scoops...

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2018 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our obsession, and this forum, our other obsession.
Nice score on the GT.

My car came from Alabama at an insurance auction.

I got into buying/selling rebuildable accident damaged cars for side work and toy money.

I am not an auto body/painter but like working on cars. Occasionally I like to buy a car to 'play' with then flip it (if I don't end up keeping it).
Seeing as that you are in PA and found your GT at an Alabama insurance auction, I am curious as to you search data base.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock