Started on: 04-22-2018 09:13 AM
Replies: 16 (654 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 04-29-2018 07:19 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Folks
My new ride looks practically brand new underneath and has never seen snow or salt. Personally, I have always been a big believer in oil spraying cars to prevent rust- but do you think there is any value in doing this if I know I will never drive the car in salt/winter? I am trying to prevent any rust from forming in the future- but am I going overboard if I oil spray the metal components underneath, even though the car will never see salt?

Any disadvantages to doing this? Harmful to hoses, electrical, etc if it touches anything other than metal?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It collects a lot of dirt. That may be OK with you, but you may end up going to the car wash more often anyway. I am to the point where if there is rain in the forecast I won't drive my car. Not everyone can do that.
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Camelot..... rust prevent your undercarriage with POR-15 ! Once again, POR-15 . This stuff is amazing. Like a bank volt in a can if you ask me. I did my Formula with it, and its one product that truly works . looks good too ! And its well worth the price because of its protective abilities. check out their website.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old guy in my home town oilsprayed his cars when new, and drove down dusty dirt roads to coat the underside. He did that in the Fall of the year, every year he owned the car. Before he traded the cars in, he would power wash the underside, and the cars looked brand new.
He always got top dollar for the trade-in, and there was a waiting list for his car.
True story.

In your case? If you're only using it as a fair weather driver, spray a good coat of wax on the bottom and drive it.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-22-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

An old guy in my home town oilsprayed his cars when new, and drove down dusty dirt roads to coat the underside.

One of our guys had that done on his Fiero.
You can imagine the messy job of replacing his dead fuel pump. Yeech!!!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2018).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Camelot..... rust prevent your undercarriage with POR-15 ! Once again, POR-15 . This stuff is amazing. Like a bank volt in a can if you ask me. I did my Formula with it, and its one product that truly works . looks good too ! And its well worth the price because of its protective abilities. check out their website.

And it will last for years.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone claiming "I will never drive the car in salt/winter" have no clue that Road/Sea Salt can still attack cars in the summer.
Winter Salt on Roads doesn't wash away easy from rain in many places. Salt gets into the pavement and dirt and in many areas you never see salt free road even in the summer.
Is why you often see "snake grass" and salt loving plants growing near roads in many places far away from the ocean.

Spray everything plan isn't good either. Most oils will hold dirt and can do more damage. Many can damage and/or loosen parts over time.
Examples:
Pivot points for HL lifts have plastic and brass bearings. Most oils/grease will ruin the plastic and dirt will bind either.
Brake "rubber" parts Hate most oils and grease even if cleaned off after. This is why many brake hoses swell inside. (rust crushing hose(s) in support brackets in common too.)
Penetration oils can loosen suspension and other critical bolts over time. Can also ruin rubber and polly suspension bushings etc.

I do check and clean/fix most grounds and coat them w/ small amount of silicon or brake grease.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I coat mine twice a year with ATF, my mechanic does this as well to his personal cars. Dirt sticks one way or another, but ATF has awesome cleaning power. We use a sprayer with a connection for the shop's air compressors. Quick and easy, also grease every fitting at the time.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2018 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its like new no rust now, that when you undercoat. With something durable.
The oil spray can work too but needs done yearly.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2018 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just used POR15 for the first time a couple weeks ago. I like how it has turned out so far but I can not give advice on how well it will hold up since it has just been done. I have used Rustoleum spray cans in the past I can tell you I will only use POR15 from this point on because I like how well it has turned out.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2018 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I just used POR15 for the first time a couple weeks ago. I like how it has turned out so far but I can not give advice on how well it will hold up since it has just been done. I have used Rustoleum spray cans in the past I can tell you I will only use POR15 from this point on because I like how well it has turned out.

I have some 10 year old POR15 on a car, that car only sees 3 season driving that doesn't include winter, but it held up perfect. Its all in the prep and application as I understand it.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2018 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It must not be exposed to direct sunlight without a top coat.
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2018 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I get my daily cars sprayed at Krown every year. My concern with por15 would be that it is a surface coat, and wouldn't help you with any internals or crevices where moisture could also accumulate.

If the car is truly rust-free, you may prefer some sort of wax sprays instead of oil. They'd be sprayed into appropriate cavities, and shouldn't run. That is the extent of my knowledge, however, I've just seen them referenced on youtube restoration videos.

I had both of our Fieros sprayed last fall, a few weeks before they went into storage. My 87 has a bit of surface rust, and despite not driving during winter, it was slowly looking worse. I had a rust-converter applied, then had it sprayed. My wifes 88 is rust-free, and I'd like to keep it that way. I had it sprayed as well.

The Fieros were done at Ziebart instead of Krown, as the guy there was fairly knowledgeable about older vehicles, and listened to my concerns about the frame rails. I guess he's "the guy" that sprays any classics that come in.

Theogre is right about salt sticking around on the roads.

Plus there are things you don't anticipate, like a massive freezing rain storm hitting during Watkins Glen weekend opening, then having to drive home during the tail-end of an ice storm of "historic proportions" (according to the phone alerts, anyway).
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2018 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again, POR-15. 10 years on my Fiero and no rust. nuff said.....
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RUUUSSSSTTTT!!!! pls oil spray! we get soo much rain in the spring that there is no salt left come mid May. you know how I hate rust!

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Folks
My new ride looks practically brand new underneath and has never seen snow or salt. Personally, I have always been a big believer in oil spraying cars to prevent rust- but do you think there is any value in doing this if I know I will never drive the car in salt/winter? I am trying to prevent any rust from forming in the future- but am I going overboard if I oil spray the metal components underneath, even though the car will never see salt?

Any disadvantages to doing this? Harmful to hoses, electrical, etc if it touches anything other than metal?

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a Fiero man, drive it and enjoy it.

For what it's worth, of all the Porsche cars that come into the shop are all dry. I have several that are dedicated winter cars and they're not oil sprayed. Mind you, the German cars have better protection underneath right from the factory.

My '98 Formula Firebird has never been winter driven either and it sits outside. It's perfect underneath! Now, I also place it on jack stands when I store it. This allows air movement under and around the car. I've been doing that since 2000. Take a look the next time you're in the area and see for yourself.

Keep it dry and store it properly.

PS-POR stands for "Paint Over Rust". If you have rust, then this is for you.

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lunatic:

It's a Fiero man, drive it and enjoy it.

For what it's worth, of all the Porsche cars that come into the shop are all dry. I have several that are dedicated winter cars and they're not oil sprayed. Mind you, the German cars have better protection underneath right from the factory.

My '98 Formula Firebird has never been winter driven either and it sits outside. It's perfect underneath! Now, I also place it on jack stands when I store it. This allows air movement under and around the car. I've been doing that since 2000. Take a look the next time you're in the area and see for yourself.

Keep it dry and store it properly.

PS-POR stands for "Paint Over Rust". If you have rust, then this is for you.

Thanks Shayne, that is the plan. The german cars I have owned (and the Genesis sedan I now drive) do seem to have better grades of steel and far more aluminum/magnesium components underneath, so I am not concerned about them. Hopefully I finally have a Fiero that is reasonably reliable and I can enjoy for many years, and I don't want rust to creep in or seize up bolts in the future, so that is why I want to do what I can to avoid this. I realize it is not some ultra rare collectible that should be pampered 24/7. I had it out yesterday, and at 80 km/h I downshifted and hit the gas, and the tires broke loose... Was great!!!!

Hope to see you soon when the weather gets better! Will make sure to send you an invite to the Fiero pig roast in my backyard

Thanks for the advice everyone

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock