test drove 88 Fiero - need advise please by fierofrenzy
Started on: 04-14-2018 05:52 PM
Replies: 14 (596 views)
Last post by: fierofrenzy on 04-17-2018 08:06 PM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi you all - I just test drove an 88 4cyl Fiero today that I'm very eager to buy. It has an automatic trans and 126K miles on it. I've had this specific Fiero on my mind for a few years now, and now their happens to be one for sale right in the next town over.
I drove the car extensively and she ran just fine. There is also a new coat of white paint on it so the body is in great shape too. There is absolutely no rust on the undercarriage. I'm imagining that's because its a Georgia car.
Now the one big drawback in my opinion. The car has a digital dash. Whats that all about? I told the owner that's not factory, and he said a few were. I disagreed. To my knowledge, there was never a Fiero available with a digital dash. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The other imperfections are minimal in my book. Theres no headliner, and the dew wipes are badly cracked. Both of these things I can easily have taken care of.
My first question is this. Is it to complicated to remove the digital dash and reinstall a stock unit ? I see them on ebay all the time, and know of enough parts suppliers to easily obtain one.
Right now I'm quite excited about this opportunity, especially since its parked so close by. The owner was asking 2500 ,then we agreed on 2250 if I do decide on buying the car.
So what do you think ? Tell me thoughts on this, and thank you beforehand. Bob

P.S. For any of you who may know who I am, I still have my 88 yellow Formula. Shes my pride and joy.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not aware of digital dash being a factory option

Do you have any pictures you can post?
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a digital dash produced a while back. Even Cliff, the owner of this forum had a digital dash he was either producing or going to produce way back when. Not sure if he ever sold any.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are really only 4 aftermarket digital dash kits. One is Toms digital, the other was the AEX dash, the third is the Cavalier dash swapout, and of course Cliffs FDD-X1.

Toms:

AEX:

Cavalier:

Cliffs:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-14-2018).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks IMSA, that's it, your first photo. Toms Digital. That's whats in the Fiero I want to buy. I don't like that at all, really don't. So if I buy a replacement stock
( analog ) dash cluster, will it easily install ?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they are pretty much unplug and replug.
Disassembly of the cluster is pretty straight forward as well.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff's instrument cluster looks AWESOME!

Tom's mostly plugs in, but there were minimal wiring changes, so yes, it should easily change back, although you'll need the bezel, also.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought there was a Sunbird turbo digital dash, also.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your purchase.
I probably have a complete 88 cluster (minus the tach board) for a base coupe. Will have to look around.
With that said, unless you're wanting to keep it all original, you ought to upgrade to the GT/Formula instruments, including the center pod. They're (IMHO) much nicer, backlighted, and are essentially plug and play.
(You'll still need a 4 cylinder tach board. Probably from an 87 or 88, since they're DIS.)
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you pull out the digital dash PM me. I might like to take it off your hands for my 85 4 cyl.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, no stock digital dash for Fieros.
Wonder what else isn't stock on this car.
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear air foil isn't stock. Its actually off a Mustang and look pretty cool
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, if you are wanting to get rid of digital dash....I would take it I'll even even provide a swap of my spare GT cluster if you like....
Madathlon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that Cliffs version, how do you find that one?
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a few of you are interested in the digital dash. I'm going to buy the Fiero within 2 weeks ( the new wife gave me the OK hehehe ) . I will create a new post then and well take it from there. Thank you all for you imput,

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock