Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  ############# NEW MILESTONE FOR FIERO GT TAILLIGHT LENSES ############### (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
############# NEW MILESTONE FOR FIERO GT TAILLIGHT LENSES ############### by kgoodyear
Started on: 04-11-2018 01:17 PM
Replies: 50 (2327 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 05-11-2018 10:00 AM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We have finally reached the point of finalizing the full-on CAD file for tool production.

Options will be clear with no decoration, clear with decoration, tinted with decoration, tinted without decoration.

Remember: Lenses are for off-road use only, sold only in pairs and are for the GT.

Over the next few days I will address appropriate questions that Frugal Fiero Fans might have.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive all my cars "off road" so buying a set of these will be no problem.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!

And thanks for adding "tint" and "off-road". It will certainly hold or increase the value of my NOS pieces.
da.slyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Very cool!

And thanks for adding "tint" and "off-road". It will certainly hold or increase the value of my NOS pieces.

You know you were just going to hoard them anyway. That's why us Fiero owners need a whole section of garage just for part storage

Awesome that things are moving forward. With the tinted option, I now even more interested in obtaining a pair. (and I was perfectly happy with the ones I have now.)
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our first run will be for 1000 sets. Some of these will likely be wholesaled. I have not figured out the quantities of each of the lens options.

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ready to make tooling or ready to put out lenses?
Either way very exciting but one way is more exciting than the other!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent news!

We need a :happy dance: smiley, just about now.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Ready to make tooling or ready to put out lenses?
Either way very exciting but one way is more exciting than the other!

We are ready to finish the (CAD) file that makes the tool.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I little Irish jig might be appropriate at this time.....
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm learning a lot and having fun. Thank you all for the patience and support.

------------------
Goody

railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice.
hoddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome
agranlund

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agranlundSend a Private Message to agranlundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news!
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget if you have any prototypes or examples of your product bring it up the 35th show in August

Www.fiero35th.com

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlgt88:

Don't forget if you have any prototypes or examples of your product bring it up the 35th show in August

Www.fiero35th.com

We will have prototypes by then. I guess I had better get some research done on attending.

------------------
Goody

ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

We will have prototypes by then. I guess I had better get some research done on attending.

All info will be on website posted

Www.fiero35th.com

Maybe you can take preoders there..or show on a car there how well they look and fit

[This message has been edited by ltlgt88 (edited 04-13-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I visited with my project manager today and he is very confident at the very least I will have printed lenses but he also feels we will have T1, 2, & 3 lenses (Test lenses) we will be using for QA for the show. I am really pushing for having a finished product by then but not at the cost of quality or budget.

I don't know if my Fiero (aka 4thWife) will be able to be there. Right now her interior is pretty gutted and I'm not sure I would have enough room to bring all I will need as I had to remove part of my "trunk" to make room for the engine. I'm also not sure I trust the car to go 10 hours safely. It probably would but it might be a better idea to trailer the car and pull it up there with the pickup.

Today I started setting up accounts and capabilities to use EBay and PayPal at the show. I'm all new to this stuff but I'm sure i'll figure it out.

We pretty much have everything in place and have committed significant capital to the project so we are starting to bring it together.

I am thinking of taking orders with no strings attached so I can get an idea of what I am going to need not just for the show but for the vendor and ebay. I'm open for suggestions.

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 04-14-2018).]

couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Call me skeptical, but this seems a long way off from having an actual product.

[This message has been edited by couldahadaV8 (edited 04-14-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

Call me skeptical, but this seems a long way off from having an actual product.

PFF
System Bot
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's Brilliant

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the CAD file of the lens is the easy part- designing the mold and finishing it is far more involved. My whole family is from an injection mold engineering and mold making background, so I have been around them much of my life. I sure do hope this project does come to fruition! It is not a simple mold like the quarter windows would be..

Fingers crossed for the O/P!! We would all love to see tail lights being available.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2018 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The taillight lens is arguably THE most complicated plastic component on the car. The real challenge is keeping a quality product on budget and on a timeline good enough for Fussy and Frugal Fiero owners.
------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 04-14-2018).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
It is not a simple mold like the quarter windows would be..

Heh ... says the man who wants to buy my factory quarter windows because correct replacements are not available.

I paid upfront for a set that never came to fruition. I am not even upset at myself or the innovator who tried. I know another member who gave it a good effort and he failed. Both long time members of the forum.

I still owe you the pics of mine cam-a-lot but I see that you want them as spares. That's why I have them. Because it is not a simple mold. If it were, they would be available. As I understand it, there are three curvatures to the design which is the problem.

kgoodyear, best wishes to your success. If indeed you do next try to tackle 1/4 GT windows, contact me. I will find the threads of the other's efforts so you can research from their failures.

Success is obtained one failure after another.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Heh ... says the man who wants to buy my factory quarter windows because correct replacements are not available.

It IS a simple mold, nothing magical about it. The tail lights are far more complex. The molds required to make everyday items such as your electric razor or modern speaker grills are 1000 times more complex. I think it would cost about $30K-$50K to build a set of compression molds for the quarter windows, and I don't have the time or interest in getting involved with it myself. So if I can find a nice spare pair, I will buy it.

"Simplicity" is entirely dependent on the knowledge and experience of the individual. There are a ton of members here who, for example, could easily change a camshaft or timing chain. I have never done it and would not have a clue how to do it properly. But I could easily MAKE a forging die to "make" a camshaft, because that is my background. So yes, for a mold maker, the rear quarter Fiero windows (including curvature) are dead simple. I don't know about the spray coating/dot matrix stuff that was applied after they came out of the mold. Never researched it.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 04-15-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I paid upfront for a set that never came to fruition. I am not even upset at myself or the innovator who tried. I know another member who gave it a good effort and he failed. Both long time members of the forum.

Success is obtained one failure after another.

I believe paying money up front (Tesla??) can be a recipe for problems. I believe it develops a mindset in the developers' mind that is unhealthy for the venture. If one has to use his own money there is MUCH more attention to detail, budget, quality and timeline and still not micromanage. I know they say a business man never uses his own money but in the end, the businessperson is going to be held responsible to the customer, the lender and ones own morals.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know about the spray coating/dot matrix stuff that was applied after they came out of the mold. Never researched it.

There are modern methods that has the ability to print on curved surfaces like the GT quarter windows, but that methodology wasn't available in the 80's. Based on my 30+ years experience with many methods of printing, I would say that the windows were screen printed while they were still flat, then formed afterward. They were likely oversize then trimmed back into the black print, edge polished, then formed. Probably through the vacuum-forming process rather than pressed.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not to be a naysayer, but.......
This does not seem like much of a "milestone". Your very first post months ago, included CAD drawings of the lenses. We all surmised at that point that the CAD drawings were completed, and people even commented that that was a great start. Forward to some months later, you are now saying that they are still not done, and the big news is you are now ready to do the CAD drawings?

I do hope this is legit, as this is something we need desperately in the Fiero community. We have all just seen so many people say they are making them, and then never produce them.

You do seem legit, and have never asked for a penny from anyone, so that is a good thing indeed.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Not to be a naysayer, but.......
This does not seem like much of a "milestone". Your very first post months ago, included CAD drawings of the lenses. We all surmised at that point that the CAD drawings were completed, and people even commented that that was a great start. Forward to some months later, you are now saying that they are still not done, and the big news is you are now ready to do the CAD drawings?

I do hope this is legit, as this is something we need desperately in the Fiero community. We have all just seen so many people say they are making them, and then never produce them.

You do seem legit, and have never asked for a penny from anyone, so that is a good thing indeed.

I can't help but change my tone on this post because I think i have earned it.

It is a milestone if you are standing where I am John.

The process of finding a tool maker and someone to shoot, decorate and package this lens it is no small task. It is because we needed something to show to the vendors (and you) that we made the initial scan YOU see. We now are taking that scan and working with it to bring it to the next step--the highest of standards.

It is necessary to put several thousand more JUST into the file to remove every flaw found in the original scan and prepare it for the tool maker to do his thing. This is so YOU, John, can buy a quality product.

I'm going to publish my milestones because I have earned them and because I can. If you don't want to learn about the milestones don't open d@mn thread.....John.

Legit: I don't know what it would take or whether I would do it if i were asked to prove it. If I ask for 1 cent you can go down that rabbit hole OR when you have invested the time and capital I have invested you can question my sincerity.

This is a big, complicated, hugely expensive and risky project. The wheels turn slowly even when they are well greased with money. I neither have direct control over certain project operations nor do i want it. That is not my place. If you, John, knew what I knew you would be ecstatic and understand the significance of the milestone.

Now to change my tone back to one more civil and familiar. Thank you John, I think, for the feedback. I have work to do.

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 04-15-2018).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just let the man make me some tail light!!!!!!!!

PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Just let the man make me some tail light!!!!!!!!

That right there ^ ^ ^ is the legacy of this forum.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Goody

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is not a simple mold like the quarter windows would be.

It IS a simple mold, nothing magical about it. The tail lights are far more complex. The molds required to make everyday items such as your electric razor or modern speaker grills are 1000 times more complex. I think it would cost about $30K-$50K to build a set of compression molds for the quarter windows, and I don't have the time or interest in getting involved with it myself.
+

cam-a-lot, I must bow to your experience. I felt confident from long time familiarity of the two members, that they put forth very serious effort, including people of experience in mold making, et al.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't help but change my tone on this post because I think i have earned it.

It is a milestone if you are standing where I am John.

The process of finding a tool maker and someone to shoot, decorate and package this lens it is no small task. It is because we needed something to show to the vendors (and you) that we made the initial scan YOU see. We now are taking that scan and working with it to bring it to the next step--the highest of standards.

It is necessary to put several thousand more JUST into the file to remove every flaw found in the original scan and prepare it for the tool maker to do his thing. This is so YOU, John, can buy a quality product.

I'm going to publish my milestones because I have earned them and because I can. If you don't want to learn about the milestones don't open d@mn thread.....John.

Legit: I don't know what it would take or whether I would do it if i were asked to prove it. If I ask for 1 cent you can go down that rabbit hole OR when you have invested the time and capital I have invested you can question my sincerity.

This is a big, complicated, hugely expensive and risky project. The wheels turn slowly even when they are well greased with money. I neither have direct control over certain project operations nor do i want it. That is not my place. If you, John, knew what I knew you would be ecstatic and understand the significance of the milestone.

Now to change my tone back to one more civil and familiar. Thank you John, I think, for the feedback. I have work to do.

Stay the course, and be true to yourself K, I would have loved to be doing this myself and am so glad someone is doing this.

Lately I have been doing some "soul searching", and cannot think of any other car I would like to have or own.
I would love to have a Solstice or Sky, but the Fiero wins outright!

I daily search, and nothing can compare.
I would love to have a 3000GT again, but eh, too common, a Triumph GT6+, I have had a few, but they do not compare.

At least you are contributing a little excitement, and on the right path as far as I can see.
Win, lose, or fail, at least you are doing something many of us would love to do, or at least try to do.

I have to say, your progress is better than any I have seen, and through my experience in this whole process professionally, you are probably a year or so ahead of what would normally be expected.
Having something to show at the 35th would be amazing actually, so I hope this happens for all awaiting a product.

I am here for you, and many others (in the background and not willing to criticize or comment) are also.

I just had to jump in here to give you encouragement and hopefully a boost.
Keep the updates coming for the many like me.
Like I said, there are many in the background holding their breath.......

Now, get back to work!!!! lol

Dave
again

PS: 40 years of injection molding project management and processing experience on my side, so I do know what I am talking about.
This is not a simple mold to do "right" and the decorating can be a nightmare......

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 04-17-2018).]

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on a huge milestone. Many have searched for manufactures to do this project, and none of them found one that was financially feasible .
Yannsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

Just as a remember we had someone call slammed who did it. Her customer service was so bad she went out of business.

I’m lucky I have a set. The black portion of the lens is painted. No more black plastic who can delaminate. Simple solution cost effective and no more delamination. She used a positive mold to do it as the lens goes over a old lens. The excess material is trimed by a laser or manualy.

The taughest part is forming the clear plastic part she explained to me

Good luck for your project

And for all the other who are suspicious on the realisation of the project ,keep your discouragement comments for you because anyway you probably won’t buy or pay for it.

Yannsky
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May I suggest dot matrix style fade like on windscreens.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-...of-your-c-1791075995
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am somewhat aware of Slammed and our methods are completely different. My lens uses injection molding and is of a better quality even from the OEM parts. The decorating of the lens is a challenge if the quality of the decoration is going to match the quality of the lens. BUT, we have had challenges along the way and overcame them too.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 05-04-2018).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Yannsky:
I’m lucky I have a set. The black portion of the lens is painted. No more black plastic who can delaminate. Simple solution cost effective and no more delamination.

Yannsky

You are fooling yourself if you think paint on plastic will not delam. Fact is, it has a better chance to delam and when it does it will be uglier than if a factory lens delaminated.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock