Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fair price to ask for an 88 GT parts car?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fair price to ask for an 88 GT parts car? by Dragonfish
Started on: 04-10-2018 10:52 AM
Replies: 10 (409 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-13-2018 01:40 PM
Dragonfish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 GT in good running condition with a totally rotted out frame and cradle. It is not safe to drive anymore. I would like to sell it as a parts car to save all the time it would take me to part it all out. The car runs great, the body panels are all solid and has one good tail light. The interior is in really good shape, has factory leather seats but they are ripped. Has an aftermarket Sony CD player and Kenwood speakers. Also has a NOS GM exhaust that I had installed three weeks ago, a brand new Rodney select cable and an extra set of sail panels that are crazed but not cracked. A local guy has shown interest in buying it as a parts car but I don't know what a fair price would be. I only bought the car 6 months ago from a local club member who didn't think I needed to know how badly rotted it was, and I didn't know enough then to look at the trunk corners. I paid $1200 for the car and put another $800 into it since then.

What is a fair price for the car, or should I just part it out myself?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That area is repairable.
What does the area under the car where the lower frame rail attaches to the floor pan look like?
What do the rear cradle attachment points on the lower frame rail look like?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18003 posts
Member since May 2004
Sadly, as a.parts car?

$500 tops.
$300 realistically.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe, This is the same car that you said 'Good Decision' about in this other thread. (I agree)

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141140.html

To the OP. You can make more money parting it out yourself, but you invest a lot more labor. GT tail lights and quarter windows should get you $500 if they are nice.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-10-2018).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time I've seen pictures.
Lots of northern cars have rust in the rear section, many are repairable, I've done several.
Certain areas cannot be repaired at reasonable cost.
This one, from the picture, can be repaired.
From the previous thread, it also needs a cradle.

Your point?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Your point?

The 'good decision' comment sounded to me like you thought the car should be parted out. If not, perhaps Dragonfish can post a few more pictures and the car can be saved.
Dragonfish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll do so tonight! i'd much rather save her!
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked at available cars in your area. A few cars but kinda pricey.

Maybe you should wait and keep your eyes open for a non running 88 coupe for 500 bucks.
They pop up around here every so often.
You can also check wrecking yards. Maybe you can find a donor frame that is rust free.
Or have one shipped from a non corrosive state.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The metal in the cradle is about twice as thick as the upper frame rails, so if you have a rust issue to the point the cradle is bad, then there is a very, very good chance the upper frame rails are beyond a reasonable repair. Remove the rear wheel liners and see what they are hiding. Same with the engine bay insulation on the sides - if you can prove to the buyer those areas are good, then you might get more $$$.

Most of us will assume you shared the best pics possible to get the highest $$$ for the car, so with what you have shown, and your descriptions of the other issues with the car, it will take a special person looking for something specific that your car has of value to get much more than $500 as a parts car.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agree with oldjoedad in that the car may be repairable. IMO, best way to know is to remove the rear facia and wheelhouse as suggested. Look in with a flashlight and see how much is rusted out. Then look below the body at the frame rails but if the cradle is rotted through then it is most likely a parts car worth only a couple of hundred. In that case you can still part it out to make a few more bucks. Its a shame but another rare 88 is in jeopardy.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen otherwise good cradles rot and fail due to road chemicals setting around the lateral link mounting tabs. Repaired with new metal and good to go.

More pictures are needed.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock