Fiero Quality History by cvxjet
Started on: 04-07-2018 09:41 PM
Replies: 3 (217 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 04-08-2018 11:41 AM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have just thought up this Topic......I actually have a old High school friend who owned a 85 4 cyl auto who took it back numerous times for brake problems......Finally used CA's "lemon law".....I also not only own a Fiero which was the first US car made using TQM, the quality control system that an AMERICAN named Edward Deming taught the Japanese....I actually was trained by Demings in TQM at NAS Alameda in 1990...It made a HUGE difference in quality of product.....AND quality of working environment!

Here's what I'd like to see here; List the problems you had with a >New< Fiero.....I will go first;

First year; Heater blower motor went intermittent for a week- Dealer insisted on changing it (TQM requires that they examine failed components so they can improve future parts)

Second year; The windshield washer motor quit; took 2 minutes to change (In the rain!) When I looked at it, I saw why it had failed; "Made in ENGLAND!" (By Lucas...?)

Fifth year; At 55,000 miles the clutch failed- I learned how to shift on it, so I don't know if I was mistreating it....

Twelfth year: The paint started to crack/fleck off.....It was parked outside all twelve years....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll just add a "cool story bro" moment:

This may apply to you since you are in the Bay Area. I used to work for David Arata of Arata Pontiac. He was the largest Pontiac dealer on the peninsula. I remember when he had to replace the defective motors in the 84's. You have no idea how many cars fell off the lift because his idiot employees didn't know how to secure the car before removing the cradle. It was comical and also amazingly that no one was injured.
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 2M6 , the parking brake would never hold adjustment. Was replaced by a recall in 1987-88? The ecm had a problem that in the summer only, if you turned on the AC, the car would die when you pushed in the clutch pedal to make a stop. Only after several trips back to the dealer did they find the problem and replace the ecm.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ron768:

1985 2M6... The ecm had a problem that in the summer only, if you turned on the AC, the car would die when you pushed in the clutch pedal to make a stop. Only after several trips back to the dealer did they find the problem and replace the ecm.

I had an 85 GT that had this identical problem. Traded it before it was fixed, however.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock