+++++++++++++++++ GT TAILLIGHT UPDATE ++++++++++++++ by kgoodyear
Started on: 04-05-2018 08:02 PM
Replies: 21 (1013 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-12-2018 09:08 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Frugal Fiero Friends:

As an important part of the Frugal Fiero Taillight lens project, I need a donation of a right and left taillight housing assembly NOT INCLUDING THE LENS, SOCKETS OR HARNESS. There is no need for it to be in excellent but fair condition would be nice. I will need these in the next month or so.

I will gladly pay for the postage for you to ship it and in turn throw in a set of new lenses when they become available.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I have an extra set, the mounting points for the 6 (3 per side) long screws might have a missing piece or two, but the facing that the lenses mount to should be intact. Would that work for you?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

I think I have an extra set, the mounting points for the 6 (3 per side) long screws might have a missing piece or two, but the facing that the lenses mount to should be intact. Would that work for you?

Yes, they should work fine. i don't need the red back filter and really don't even need the Freznel lens but just to make sure about that rib I better have you include it.

If you will email me I'll give you the address. THANKS!

------------------
Goody

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2018 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If that falls through, I am more than willing to donate a set. I have a dozen or so old broken lens sets.

Thanks for doing this.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you’re covered, but I have a box full of lenses that fit the description too.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help!

If you haven't figured it out by now I will have some news for my Frugal Fiero Friends toward the end of next week.

------------------
Goody

Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the taillight lenses product is successful, I hope you will also be able to re-create the Gt quarter panel windows eventually as well. I can donate an intact pair of those if you ever need them.. Curtis
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck on the project. I would venture to say that the product will be popular. There are still a couple of hundred thousand GT's out there. ALL will need windows one day soon.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 04-08-2018).]

lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There are still a couple of hundred thousand GT's out there.

I would love to see a OEM-quality GT tail light lens available. And, there is no where near "a couple hundred thousand" fast-back GTs left out there (remember that the 1985 GTs were notch-backs). Only 40,600 or so fastbacks were ever built. The last time TFS did a registration check about 12% of the original 368,000 total Fieros were still registered. Yes, this omits parts cars and cars sitting rotting in fields, but no one is going to buy new GT tail lights for those anyway. So you maybe have 0.12x40,000 =4800 or so GTs still registered. Even if it is miraculously double that, it's less than 10,000.

This is a big part of the reason no one has ponied up the $150k for new molds; the financial math just doesn't work.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

I would love to see a OEM-quality GT tail light lens available. And, there is no where near "a couple hundred thousand" fast-back GTs left out there (remember that the 1985 GTs were notch-backs). Only 40,600 or so fastbacks were ever built. The last time TFS did a registration check about 12% of the original 368,000 total Fieros were still registered. Yes, this omits parts cars and cars sitting rotting in fields, but no one is going to buy new GT tail lights for those anyway. So you maybe have 0.12x40,000 =4800 or so GTs still registered. Even if it is miraculously double that, it's less than 10,000.

This is a big part of the reason no one has ponied up the $150k for new molds; the financial math just doesn't work.

We came up with about the same On registered GT's at about 5000.
At the time I estimated by my own opinion that only 10% of those were potential customers and less than half would buy a higher quality part instead of a cheaper adequate part.
It really is hard to make the math sound good.

Myself ...I will be buying a few sets more than I need because I doubt they will be available five years from now.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Goody

PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

Hopefully. But this isn't the first, second, or even third time down this path; it's well-worn and familiar.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hopefully. But this isn't the first, second, or even third time down this path; it's well-worn and familiar.

sigh......

------------------
Goody

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

sigh......

Don't let the nay sayers get to you. I for one have 3 nice GT's that have not been registered in years. The last time my '88 saw daylight was 1999. The so called experts cannot possibly have exact numbers of how many remain, the best they can do is throw darts at fictitious numbers. Also, 2 sets just sold on Ebay for nearly $1500.00 a set with shipping. Build it and they will come.

Keep up the good work!
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Don't let the nay sayers get to you. I for one have 3 nice GT's that have not been registered in years. The last time my '88 saw daylight was 1999. The so called experts cannot possibly have exact numbers of how many remain, the best they can do is throw darts at fictitious numbers. Also, 2 sets just sold on Ebay for nearly $1500.00 a set with shipping. Build it and they will come.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Thunderstruck.

------------------
Goody

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, 2 sets just sold on Ebay for nearly $1500.00 a set with shipping. Build it and they will come.

Only know of one NOS set, it was TFS late run with the defective T, and it sold for $1200. Look, it would behoove everyone to have a source for these, even if they aren't an OEM match, just like the Chris Cook sail panels. And, I know of exactly three people who would pay that kind of money for Fiero tail lights. Not saying there aren't more, just that there aren't thousands.

So please do come up with a way to do this that is affordable and doesn't bankrupt you. I only jumped in here because someone claimed that there were "a couple hundred thousand" fast back GTs out there, which is demonstrably false.

da.slyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also note that these cars are subjected to the outside world everyday so situations as simple as having someone back into you or a curious toddler with a hammer will subject these lenses to damage and need for replacement. So as long as these cars on are the road, there will always be a need for replacement. So voicing my support to continue forward.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I learned early in this project using extrapolation to make predictions is futile. Sometimes you just have to follow your gut and keep it simple

------------------
Goody

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no doubt that it is a gamble, any business venture in life is. But if every entrepreneur took the "I'm too scared to try" attitude, where would we be in life today?

With that said and with NOS lenses hitting almost $1500.00 a set as well as people willing to pay it, the market for repop lenses is there and the cost of repops will undoubtedly bring down the cost of NOS pieces.

With the progress of kgoodyear and his repop lenses obviously moving full steam ahead, I am seriously considering selling my NOS pieces before the repops hit the market and before the market drops on the NOS pieces.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-11-2018).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have perfect taillights on my car. Would I buy a set of reproductions anyway? Absolutely. They can sit on a shelf for 20 years if need be. My Fiero isn't going away anytime soon and having needed parts availability in the future is important to me.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait until they hit the market then sell the NOS pieces a couple of days later. You couldn't lose more than a couple of bucks and you would know that you have replacements available.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With that said and with NOS lenses hitting almost $1500.00 a set as well as people willing to pay it, the market for repop lenses is there and the cost of repops will undoubtedly bring down the cost of NOS pieces.

"People" willing to pay $1500/set for GT tail light covers????? That's a ton of money. Maybe a tiny select few would buy, but the average Fiero GT owner won't pay a significant portion of the value of the car just for lenses. The OVERALL market is what you need to look at.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock