Targa fiero by gen2muchwork
Started on: 04-05-2018 06:24 PM
Replies: 13 (560 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-09-2018 10:20 AM
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this at the yard today

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where it belongs.
Talk about a Flexible Flyer!
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's a cool find. It looks like someone did a pretty good job on the finishing. Maybe they reinforced it from below?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you would be better off reinforcing the ends of the tunnel.......Make sure it flares into the firewalls properly....The front is pinched down and doesn't really spread the load properly.......I looked at the (Re-designed) C-5 Vette when it first came out in 1997...Actually have a book about the whole C-5 process....It amazes me that people (Who designed the C-4) did not understand properly attaching/blending the ends of the tunnel....They will run all over designing and re-designing the "Perimeter frame" but will completely ignore the strength that can be gained from the tunnel.....My 73 Mustang had a low tunnel and, because of that, the shifter was really low and you actually had to lean to the right to reach it....Make it higher and gain structural strength...and make the shifter easier to reach.....Gain + gain!
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2018 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They forgot the seatbelt mount. Top mounts were just laying around. It was a bumper pad model. 4 cyl. Honestly I think the seats could be useful for a budget build. They were very thick leather type material. Done nice but in the weather now... Probably still saveable to a large extent.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Center console isn't warped, I would have grabbed it.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a targa Fiero many years ago... Looked cool, but it was a total POS. rattled like crazy, and even though the spaceframe had been reinforced underneath, it did not work- car doors would barely open and it was sagging. Probably not worth the hassle on a unibody car as an aftermarket mod...
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unibody?
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point- space frame is more appropriate-? (I never claimed to be an expert on anything automotive . Though I assume my point was fairly clear. The poor car buckled like crazy even though there were supports underneath. With that said, I suppose if the supports had been done properly, maybe it would have been fine? Like some of the Automoda kits?
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Unibody?

Ha! That was Chrysler's name for the first cars they built with no separate frame under the body.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a unibody, the exterior skin is a stressed member of the car, in other words, the exterior skin helps to provide rigidity to the entire structure.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picking nits here, but any car without a separate frame is generally considered a unibody......And the only true difference between the Fiero's "space frame" and a unibody is the roof panel and rear quarters not adding strength......The whole front of a Unibody is the same as how our Fieros are built.....Front fenders and hood are just along for the ride....
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for reference, this was Parts galore- Warren ave in Detroit, should anyone want those seats or console.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Picking nits here, but any car without a separate frame is generally considered a unibody......And the only true difference between the Fiero's "space frame" and a unibody is the roof panel and rear quarters not adding strength......The whole front of a Unibody is the same as how our Fieros are built.....Front fenders and hood are just along for the ride....

'Generally considered' and 'technically precise' are two different things, aren't they?

I prefer precise.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock