84 fiero A/C Manifold options by wstefan20
Started on: 04-03-2018 05:48 PM
Replies: 4 (171 views)
Last post by: wstefan20 on 04-04-2018 03:56 PM
wstefan20

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wstefan20Send a Private Message to wstefan20Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, my new fiero is missing the a/c compressor and manifold lines but everything else is there. Looks like the a/c compressor locked up and instead of fixing the system, they removed it.

Anyways, I cannot find any new hose options, and I'm not a fan of spending $150 on old hoses that may leak. My question is, has anyone used an a/c compressor manifold adapter block such as

[url=http://www.jegs.com/i/VPA/960/341080/10002/-1?CAWELAID=230006180037963842&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44693592161&CATCI=pla-224363292071&catargetid=230006180039218437&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzIzWBRDnARIsAAkc8hH57Z3VDzVoVSRVoxfTX_01mFGC4W2EKJzSZnPdL8P4OZuoZQid 9KoaAuMCEALw_wcB]THIS[/url]

Any other options out there? Any advice on the system other than replacing the receiver dryer, orings, changing fittings to r134a, flushing everything, orifice tube replacement?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can get an old set of hoses, take them to an auto a/c shop and have them replace the hoses. its really that easy, unless you do not have a shop near you. if you need a used set of hoses for an 84, i have a set off a 60,000 mile indy, i also have the compressor. vette7584@yahoo.com
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
System open to air for months to decades then likely can a lot more problems then a flush will help.
Evaporator and other parts likely "rust" inside and on them and may not have a hole now, rust damage makes them weak and fails soon after you spend money to replace missing parts at minimum.
All "rubber" parts are likely dead too.

Many Real AC shops won't touch this no matter the cost because can't guaranty will work for even a day or two. And that's even If the old compressor did not have "Black Death" and other things blowing crap thru the system. acc/drier can fail and blow desiccant causing compressor fail as well.

DIY cost at minimum cost for...
Compressor and likely mounting hardware.
Likely need to replace crank pulley for rust damage.
Acc/Drier... Ignoring your issue for the moment, New and Rebuilt Warranty Require this on all system.
All New hoses not just missing ones.
All seals valves and many electric parts. Electrical? At minimum, Clutch switch plus New limit switches need new plugs for them.
Plus Many hours to fix/flush/replace etc.
Then hope doesn't fail again soon.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

wstefan20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2018 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wstefan20Send a Private Message to wstefan20Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

System open to air for months to decades then likely can a lot more problems then a flush will help.
Evaporator and other parts likely "rust" inside and on them and may not have a hole now, rust damage makes them weak and fails soon after you spend money to replace missing parts at minimum.
All "rubber" parts are likely dead too.

Many Real AC shops won't touch this no matter the cost because can't guaranty will work for even a day or two. And that's even If the old compressor did not have "Black Death" and other things blowing crap thru the system. acc/drier can fail and blow desiccant causing compressor fail as well.

DIY cost at minimum cost for...
Compressor and likely mounting hardware.
Likely need to replace crank pulley for rust damage.
Acc/Drier... Ignoring your issue for the moment, New and Rebuilt Warranty Require this on all system.
All New hoses not just missing ones.
All seals valves and many electric parts. Electrical? At minimum, Clutch switch plus New limit switches need new plugs for them.
Plus Many hours to fix/flush/replace etc.
Then hope doesn't fail again soon.

Thanks Ogre! That's what I was afraid of.... I think I might leave it disconnected for now since I think I might just go ahead with and engine swap anyhow. I'm missing the computer, so I have no idea how the engine runs at this point (or at all), so I think I'll see if it runs well first, then if it does, mess with getting the a/c back up and running.

Good thinking. I didn't think about replacing the switches. In-fact, I probably should replace almost all the relays just to be safe anyhow for the rest of the vehicle since it's sat for 15 years....

They did cap the old lines so maybe the corrosion isn't that bad?

I've dealt with a/c systems before and with flushing, so I'm hoping as long as I can flush it and it's not gummed up, I'll be "fine". Do you know whether that manifold adapter would work though? I'd feel better knowing that the lines are brand new. Thanks for the input!
wstefan20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2018 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wstefan20Send a Private Message to wstefan20Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wstefan20

31 posts
Member since Mar 2018

Originally posted by vette7584:

you can get an old set of hoses, take them to an auto a/c shop and have them replace the hoses. its really that easy, unless you do not have a shop near you. if you need a used set of hoses for an 84, i have a set off a 60,000 mile indy, i also have the compressor. vette7584@yahoo.com

Awesome! Thanks vette! I think I'm going to see how the engine runs when I get it up and running first, but if it does I'll definitely be purchasing these from you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock