What engine is this? by Sir Ken
Started on: 03-27-2018 05:37 PM
Replies: 22 (809 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-08-2018 08:16 PM
Sir Ken

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm told it's a Series III SC 3800 out of a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix but it looks so corroded I'm having doubts on my purchase. It does have the cover for the Series III but that's just sitting on top of the engine.

Stamped on the block is: Series 3800 12585792
The bar code on the block reads: BFL B0370147
Last 9 of the VIN stamped on the block: 251326433

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep...that sure looks like an L32 Series III 3800SC engine.

-Van
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sir Ken:

...it looks so corroded

Has that engine been submerged... in seawater?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of flood cars out there. Wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and look for signs of flood damage.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking the same thing as Patrick, was the engine submerged? That or it has been left outside for sometime. What kind of deal are you looking at for it?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to do a Carfax on the VIN. If it is out of a flood car, it should be totally disassembled and rebuilt.
boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is little doubt in my mind that engine was submersed in water at one point. I'd move on personally.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen cars parked outside within a mile from the ocean looking like that. I'm not sure it makes the engine any more desirable.
Sir Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It came out of a 2005 Grand Prix with 90000 miles on it. That's 90000 miles driven in snow and salt of Connecticut roads.

I've since checked the oil and it is clean and under the valve covers it looks brand new. All the outer pulleys turn freely and I can't find any proof of water intrusion.

It's purchased, delivered to me in Central Florida, and sitting in my garage. Going to take some clean up but I am confident that it will not need a rebuild at 90000 miles.

I guess time will tell.

Anyway, I was just looking to verify that it was indeed a Series III.

Thanks for the confirmation and additional info.
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help...I hope it works out for you Sir Ken!

-Van

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 03-28-2018).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driven in the snow makes sense, I just looked at where you are and assumed you got it from around you. If I may ask what did you pay for the motor and shipping?
PFF
System Bot
Sir Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$850 + $300 shipping. Came with the full harness, pcm, axles, steering, and the cradle from the Grand Prix.
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Driven in the snow makes sense, I just looked at where you are and assumed you got it from around you.

I had to go back and see Sir Ken was in Florida. To me, that looks exactly like a 13 year old engine.

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 03-28-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sir Ken:

Originally posted by seq:

To me, that looks exactly like a 13 year old engine.

Damn, the cars back there must be eaten alive by the salt on winter roads.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Has that engine been submerged... in seawater?

fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran the VIN of that engine at my work, i'm a parts guy at a chevy dealership, and it is in fact a L32 Series III

Trevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one example of why I tell people not to drive cars they love on salted winter roads.
That one does look like it sat not running for a long time too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-28-2018).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

That one does look like it sat not running for a long time too.

The rust on the pulley grooves is the same as the rust on the faces....indicating it's been sitting a LONG time. Hurricane Sandy long time perhaps. Driving on salted winter roads would not do that.
Sir Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierotrev2014:

I ran the VIN of that engine at my work, i'm a parts guy at a chevy dealership, and it is in fact a L32 Series III

Trevor

Thank you for that, it's not pretty... so I can only make it better from here.
Sir Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2018 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sir Ken

74 posts
Member since Jun 2009

Originally posted by Gall757:

The rust on the pulley grooves is the same as the rust on the faces....indicating it's been sitting a LONG time. Hurricane Sandy long time perhaps. Driving on salted winter roads would not do that.

I think it sat for a long time too. Internally it should be fine... I hope.
Sir Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2018 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving forward with my install...

The A/C in my car works flawlessly, can you install the original A/C compressor onto the 3800 once you replace the pulley from the Fiero compressor?
fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2018 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you can use the 3800 compressor ( if its still good) with some customizing of the hoses. I dont know if the fiero compressor would bolt up or not.

This member makes custom hoses
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069681.html

And a little bit of info.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000391.html

Just from what I found quick.

Trevor
PFF
System Bot
Sir Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2018 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sir KenSend a Private Message to Sir KenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierotrev2014:

And a little bit of info.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000391.html

Just from what I found quick.

Trevor

Thank you for that.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine looks like it may have been stored outside. Before I'd install that engine:
1. I would get a fiber optic camera , pull the plugs, inspect the cylinders.
2. I would do a cylinder leakdown test to determine their condition. IMO better than a compression test
3. I would fog the cylinders with oil and turn the engine over by applying power to the starter to see if it there is any grinding.

If all is good then degrease , wire brush and give it a fresh coat of engine enamel. Replacing the water pump is also a good idea.
Good luck on the install.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock