The Unicorn of Notchbacks? by USMUCL
Started on: 03-19-2018 12:22 PM
Replies: 20 (840 views)
Last post by: GoGoFiero on 04-01-2018 01:25 PM
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I have always preferred the aero-notchbacks over any other model of Fiero. Mine is a 1986 SE V-6 4-speed. It is low mileage and in the color I wanted. No complaints.

But, I got to be thinking . . . in a perfect world, it would be a 1987 SE V-6 with the 5-speed. That one would have the upgraded headlight motors, engraved upper intake, better oil pan shape (with available one-piece rubber gasket), and obviously the extra gear.

Yes, I know I can upgrade those parts on mine if I chose (I do not), and I know they switched to 5-speeds for the V-6s halfway through the 1986 model year. I also know that the 1988 CJB cars are the real market winners, whether the GT or Formula.

But, just curious, does anyone here have the 1987 SE V-6 5-speed? I'd be particularly curious if anyone had a low mileage, garage queen, type of example.

I'm not buying, just curious.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, they made a bunch of them. Not rare.
They made 2474 V-6 SE coupes, not all were manuals.
A good friend has one in the blue.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Yup, they made a bunch of them. Not rare.
They made 2474 V-6 SE coupes, not all were manuals.
A good friend has one in the blue.

coupe trim or aero bumper covers?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 87SE's were notchback aero trim, whether 4 or 6 cylinder.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a couple 87 SEs on here, just not the V6 5-speeds . . . I know they're out there, I just wonder in what number specific to that tranny . . . and whether that translates to any low mileage 'car show' caliber examples.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to have an 86 SE. One of the first things I did to it was upgrade the headlights motors to the 87-88 type. Not that hard to do.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a moderately low mile (~33K?) 87 V6 SE for sale, in north GA, a couple of years ago. Medium red. Decent condition. Upper surface of spoiler was a bit faded.
Automatic, though. If it had been a 5 speed, I might have bought it.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that one was over here a few miles from me. He sold it to a guy down in Monroe. The car was promptly sold again and disappeared.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See, you guys are probably proving my point .... you’re talking about horses, bulls, jackasses, and maybe a Pegasus.

No unicorn
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car began as a 1987 SE v-6 with aero nose in red, but was converted to Mera #7029. It appears there were at about 25 or so early 1987 Mera's all based on SE v-6's.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rexgirl

453 posts
Member since Dec 2013
and yes, mine is a 5-speed
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87se was the last model of ribbed molding and only model with the molding that year.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would make it unicorn-like!
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ribbed molding?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's just like your 86 SE in that respect.....
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, the phrase threw me for a loop . . . I had never thought about the different types of trim molding. Got it now.
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The other kid at my school who has a Fiero has an ‘86 SE V6 five speed. It’s red.
FastOwen2XLL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2018 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My parts car is an '87 SE V6 5spd. Bright Blue w/ black ground fx.

Sadly no title for it. But it was going to be scrapped and/or parted anyway. And it's sacrifice will not be in vain, because my '85 and '88 GTs will ride again!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2018 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastOwen2XLL:
My parts car is an SE ...

SE ? Sports Edition ?
Mine is a GT. Grand Touring ?

Heh.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2018 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SE? Soon Eliminated?

GT? Got Trouble?
GoGoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2018 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoGoFieroSend a Private Message to GoGoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Rexgirl,

Your car is listed on page 64 of the new Fiero/MERA fact and reference book, "All 1984-1988 Pontiac Fiero Colors, Codes & Quantities." The book is available on Amazon. It is available on any Amazon site, including Amazon.ca (Canada), Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.uk, etc.

The MERA section has verified six 1987 SE donor cars, of which yours is one. There certainly are other 1987 SE donor cars which have not been verified.

I remember that your donor SE was originally code 77 (WA9077) Medium Red Metallic with RPO N78 Hi-Tech wheels painted gray (RPO 84P).

I also remember that your MERA color is Yellow. That Yellow is a 1985-89 & 1991-92 Corvette Yellow color. MERA did not use the 1988 Fiero Yellow color.

All this and more is in the "All Fiero Colors, Codes & Quantities" book.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock