regular gas by jim94
Started on: 03-08-2018 10:32 PM
Replies: 5 (287 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-13-2018 12:57 PM
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with the fiero having a metal gas tank who puts regular gas/no ethanol in there tank. in florida its 3:00 a gallon. i donot drive my car much lately. i donot want the tank to rust like my gas tank on my generator and it rusted bad too. question is the tank have a coating on it outher than the plastic baffels.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run 87 which around here has 10% ethanol, while they are used, for winter storage to keep them off the salty roads they get 91 octane no ethanol.
Something else you could do is run the additive Marvel mystery oil in the effort to help reduce corrosion.

If its only 50 cents more per gallon for straight gas I'd probly use that when driving too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-09-2018).]

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use only the 'no ethanol' stuff in mine year round.

My thought is that are cars were not made to resist the corrosion that ethanol can instigate. Newer cars are, but not Fieros.

Perhaps it is overkill, but it gets driven so infrequently that I don't mind spending the extra few cents.

But, I only use 87 octane. On a stock motor, you won't get any HP gains with higher octane. Not sure why storing it for the winter makes higher octane more appropriate, so I haven't done that either.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Pure" gas rots steel tanks too. Mostly for 2 reasons:
Most tanks for small engine in generators, lawn mowers, etc, have vented caps that lets in air and moisture that rust out any metal tanks w/o anti-rust coatings.
Cars w/ non vented caps often have leak problems and most EVAP system lets air/moisture in. Worse if the tank is not full. EVAP systems are to control fuel vapors not sealing out air and moisture.

If you park a car for winter then use Stabil and fill the tank to limit vapor space.
If you don't drive much then a minimum don't let tank much lower then 1/2 full.
Caution: Using MMO etc regularly is not a good plan. Any burning oil can make problems for the cat and O2 sensor(s).

"Pure" gas in most cans and tanks often start to go stall in a month or 2 depending just where the can is stored or car is parked. Heat cycling can "boil off" light parts making octane # meaningless. Stabil helps but only for a few months.

Originally posted by USMUCL:
I use only the 'no ethanol' stuff in mine year round.

My thought is that are cars were not made to resist the corrosion that ethanol can instigate. Newer cars are, but not Fieros.

Perhaps it is overkill, but it gets driven so infrequently that I don't mind spending the extra few cents.

But, I only use 87 octane. On a stock motor, you won't get any HP gains with higher octane. Not sure why storing it for the winter makes higher octane more appropriate, so I haven't done that either.
Wrong. Fiero and even older cars are safe w/ 0-10% ethanol. Look at owners manual.

Yes, anyone using high octane in cars make to take 87 is wasting a lot of money. In fact often cause more problem. AAA API and even Consumer Reports have try to kill this BS but most buyers don't listen.
If your worried about cleaning... All gas sold in the US are require to have cleaning agents. "Top Tier" bands have the same cleaning agents for all grades. Others many have "best" cleaners in all grade or not.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2018 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran 87 in all my cars with no problem. I never used ethanol free gas, no where close has it. You can buy a coating to go inside of a tank. It has to be removed, then a cleaner poured in and sloshed around let it set for a day. They you pour in the coating and slosh it all around, upside down and every side. After it cures your good. Of course my solution to all of that is never letting a car set for more than a few weeks without driving it for a day. That includes even winter. A dry road in the winter is no different than dry in the summer. Your car dont know the seasons. Once its warmed up, it even actually runs better in winter.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2018 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

91 is the only ethanol free around my area.
But also octane lowers / degrades over time in storage.
I do also fill the tank entirely and then park for winter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock