Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My Fiero story, if you’re interested, and some questions. Pics included.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
My Fiero story, if you’re interested, and some questions. Pics included. by MyFirefly88Gt
Started on: 03-03-2018 09:57 PM
Replies: 34 (604 views)
Last post by: MyFirefly88Gt on 03-07-2018 06:27 PM
MyFirefly88Gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My name is Dave. My Fiero obsession started in the spring of 1987, at a racetrack in Ohio called Nelson Ledges. My childhood was spent there it seems, as well as many other road courses in the northeast US. My uncle has raced cars in SCCA for as long as I can remember, and Nelson was our home track. That particular year, he put an ‘85 Fiero GT on the track that he found in Florida wrecked, someone managed to ROLL IT OVER! He bought it, and with my father’s help rebuilt it from the ground up, put a roll cage in it, beefed the motor a little bit, and went racing. I fell in love with that car. The look of it, the wheels, pop up headlights, the sound of it, everything! Unfortunately, I was only 8, so it quickly disappeared from my life, as he only raced it that year, sold it to a friend who raced it a few years then it was gone. But I had the big. From that first day on, I was always on the lookout for them everywhere I went. A close friend had an ‘87 GT and everything he did with it I was there helping out. Finally, after 30 years of waiting, I bought one for my own. A red ‘88 GT from a guy named Ted in Media, PA. The car is pretty clean, all original I believe save for a performance chip he said he put in and tuned headers. I plan to keep it close to stock, but will be picking my uncle’s brain on beefing the motor a little bit, and of course any tips from you fellow Fiero junkies is welcome. I’ll post pictures when I can pf both cars, right now I using my phone to post, and it doesn’t want to cooperate with me. My main question right now is what tools should I invest in for it? I know there’s special tools for interior trim and exterior moldings and such, plus maintenance tools in general. I have a very basic collection of tools, and some from my father’s garage as he passed a few years back, and I still have to take inventory of it. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by MyFirefly88Gt (edited 03-03-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and the craziness of owning a Fiero. The fact that you have an 88 you will need to do some research because your suspension is very different compared to the other years (for the better). I have not personally run into needing any special tools. There are some idiosyncrasies to the Fiero, like our ICM's.

To get pictures to work using the program PIP is best. The how to is on the main page I beleive.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 03-03-2018).]

MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I did know about the suspension difference, but haven’t physically looked at it yet. Taking it apart soon to do brakes and wheel bearing hubs, so I’ll get a good look then. I did post pictures to the forum Facebook page, but I know not everyone does the social media thing. I’ll get them up on here when I have a bigger screen to work with. Your response prompted another question though. It may be a dumb question but could you please define the term ICM’s for me? I’m new to that one.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignition Control Module (ICM)
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link to the home page. It lists the acronyms that you will encounter when doing searches, reading posts or asking questions about your Fiero.

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?cua
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dave, congrats on your Fiero and welcome to the forum. I have an 88 and love it.

Here are a few things that I have found about the 88 year Fieros, there are probably more that would be good to know too.

The 88 front hubs are unique to the 88 Fiero, the brake calipers are only used on 88 Fieros and a couple of years of the Pontiac 6000 and brake pad compound selection is limited.

Rodney Dickman has front hubs and most suspension parts and lots of additional good stuff. Calipers online is a source for rebuilt rear and NOS front calipers, I have them on both ends of my car and no problems at all. Porterfield Brakes has several pad compounds available, I used their R4-S brake pads, good stopping power and very low dust, good for my wheels that have spun, polished aluminum rims.

I picked up a set of front caster/camber alignment tools on ebay as I couldn't find an alignment shop that had them, they are Kent-Moore J-36419.

http://www.rodneydickman.com/catalog/index.php

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/index.php

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MyFirefly88Gt:

I’ll post pictures when I can pf both cars, right now I using my phone to post, and it doesn’t want to cooperate with me.

If you're running Windows, use PIP. Max width - 1024 pixels. Max file size - 300 kb.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello David and welcome to the "obsession". Such an appropriate word.
You asked about tools. Of coarse, you want to start with the standard set of tools, wrenches, pliers, drivers, that sort of thing. The first thing that comes to my mind after that is my favorite. I have a double swivel 3/8 drive ratchet wrench. what I mean by that is that there are two swivel points on the wrench. The first being right under the head, and the second halfway down the handle. this allows you to flex the wrench in all kinds of configurations to fit in those tight spots and still have room to swing the handle. Great in the tight engine bay. A good set of torx drivers will also come in handy depending on what your working on. Vice grips can also be used for various applications. I also suggest a can of PB Blaster. Its an excellent rust penetrant to help loosen those rusty nuts and bolts. A good repair manual has also been of help for me. The exploded views of assemblies give a good understanding of what your up against. But most of all, for me at least, is all the excellent advise and information I have received from all the concerned people on this site who took the time to help me out. I can't thank them enough.
The ratch wrench I'm speaking of is a Pittsburgh Pro 3/8 drive flexible ratchet item # 96369
Have a great time with your Fiero. You've waited a long time for this.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Thanks for all the information everyone! I’ll be working on pictures tomorrow evening. I work weekend nights so my schedule is crazy. Can I just download this pip thing to my computer? I’m pretty sure it’s windows 10. Work on the car starting this week. Have to fix a reflector some ******* broke last week in a parking lot and didn’t bother to let me know. Also putting new headlights in. I have the service manual CD from Fiero store ordered. Has anyone else got that? It says is a copy of the dealer service manual so I figured it would be a good idea to get. Shopping for parts to do brakes and hubs when I have time. Definitely going to check into the places yinz ( I’m originally from Pittsburgh so pleas excuse the lingo 😜) are suggesting. Can’t wait to get her done and polished up for the summer.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can I just download this pip thing to my computer? I’m pretty sure it’s windows 10.

Yes, download and install PIP. It's still up to you though to re-size your images (using the limits I earlier mentioned) prior to uploading them.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thing I read this post, I live on the other side of 30 south of Gettysburg and I'm out in York all the time for school. It's funny I work weekend days! There are a couple local junkyards that have Fieros, but zero '88's as far as I know. Check Craigslist for the shop manual, I have seen them there for as low as $25. I got mine on ebay for a bit more. It's a huge help. I'm rebuilding my '87 GT at a good snail's pace and learning as I go too. So don't be afraid to ask questions here, everyone is great. Welcome!!!
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave, you do know about the Fiero Store, don't you ? There's also this fellow Pat out there in Texas. I've done business with him and also spoke to him on the phone. A nice guy if you ask me. Keep an eye on ebay too. You sound like a real Fiero nut ! lol. that's good : )
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I am well aware of the Fiero Store. I have my second shipment of stuff from there coming this week. I ordered the CD Shop Manual from them. It was only like $30 or something. Going to work on this PIP thing right now. Pictures may be on the way.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
Ok, so I only have Windows 7. Is there any other system usable for putting pictures up?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, so I only have Windows 7.

And the problem is...?

Originally posted by Patrick:

If you're running Windows, use PIP. Max width - 1024 pixels. Max file size - 300 kb.

MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Says it only works with windows 8 and up and said something about architect something that was a minimum system requirements. I’m not updating my computer right now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Says it only works with windows 8 and up...

Where'd you see that?

I'm running Win7. PIP would probably work with Win98.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Says it only works with windows 8 and up and said something about architect something that was a minimum system requirements. I’m not updating my computer right now.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Where'd you see that?

I'm running Win7. PIP would probably work with Win98.

Yep, it will run on anything Win95-7 according to the download link. "Version 1.09 for Windows 95b/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7" And, while not stated 8 and 10 work too. So don't worry, no need to update anything. It looks confusing at first, but once you get used to it it's quite easy to use!

To get to that page click here: http://pip.pennock.nl/download.html

Or directly download pip: http://pip.pennock.nl/download/PIPSetup109.exe

MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I’ll try those links later. I just googled it, and the website that came up said it wouldn’t work with my computer. I’m not very computer savvy. Thanks guys.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
Ok, so I have PIP downloaded, and set up. How do I get my picture(s) that I've uploaded to PIP to post in this comment section?
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
[img]C:\Users\Charles Kuhn\Downloads\IMG_2583.jpg[/img][img]C:\Users\Charles Kuhn\Downloads\IMG_2584.jpg[/img]

Ok, I think I figured it out. Hopefully, this worked. These are pictures of the '85 GT that my uncle road raced in SCCA.

PFF
System Bot
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]C:\Users\Charles Kuhn\Downloads\IMG_2584.jpg[/img]
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
Ok, not working. I'm not sure what to do.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
[img]
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017

Ok, I figured it out. At least for these 2.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
Well, there you go. That is the one my uncle road raced in SCCA. I guess I need to take other pictures of my '88 because the files are too big for PIP and I can't figure out a way to shrink them to the correct size. The story on this particular Fiero is that my uncle found it in Florida, totaled. Someone managed to roll it over! He bought it, had it sent up to him in PA, and he and my dad rebuilt it from the ground up. My dad told me they had the engine bored thirty over, balanced and blueprinted and put Grand National injectors in it. They hollowed out the CAT, put a roll cage in it and took it racing! My uncle said it was so loud that the tech inspectors were not happy, and he had to get mufflers from Harley Davidson specially made to quiet it down and stay out of tech penalty. It was raced in a class called Showroom Stock, so they couldn't change much, as with the engine mods it was probably already out of spec, and they had to run stock brakes. He said every weekend they had to put new brakes on it because the stock brakes couldn't handle it. Still, it was the coolest thing I have ever seen, at the age of 8-10. He raced it in '87, sold it to a buddy who raced it in '88 & '89 and then sold it to someone else, and I never seen it again. But that is the one that started my obsession with these cars.
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way I manage photos for Pip is to select the small size when I share the pictures to email from my phone. I use a droid so any android should be able to do it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, firefly.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually use microsoft paint to resize photos. Simple to do.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the front view of my '88. Still figuring size for side view.

PFF
System Bot
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
And finally, here is the side view. Thanks guys for all the help on what should have probably been a lot easier if I was more computer savvy. Now yinz can see what started the obsession, and what is currently feeding it.

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And finally, here is the side view. Thanks guys for all the help on what should have probably been a lot easier if I was more computer savvy. Now yinz can see what started the obsession, and what is currently feeding it.

Beautiful car - love the black wheel/white letter tires on the solid red GT.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. That’s how I bought it. It’s mechanically sound, mostly stock. It needs some small things, and it needs painted, the pictures make it look otherwise but it’s got spiderwebs in a couple areas and clear coat is fading on the wing. First up it brakes all the way around and wheel bearings at least in the front. I love it though. Getting parts for those issues hopefully next week.
MyFirefly88Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyFirefly88GtSend a Private Message to MyFirefly88GtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyFirefly88Gt

38 posts
Member since Nov 2017
I put the tires on it right after I bought it. I love that look.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock