Suspension by timenewton
Started on: 02-27-2018 02:18 PM
Replies: 15 (436 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-28-2018 09:34 PM
timenewton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 1986 with a 3.8sc. What im wondering is there an easy method for front coil overs? If not what is recommended and what equipment is recommended. I do know I want to lower it more than stock. Also are there any adjustable methods for the front and rear? Should I just stick with eibach springs and just get kyb all around? Anything you can think of without welding and manufacturing something from scratch.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the goal is just to lower the car, I would personally just stick with the lowered springs (and get drop spindles, to keep your geometry). I know there are coilovers out there that fit ours, but from my research into it for my parts list to put together mine, it’s just not as cost effective. They CAN, not always, be hard to find as well. I think the general consensus around here, is unless you plan on putting the car through serious punishment, it’s more economical to do the lowered springs&drop spindles. You will still get a great look and ride.

------------------
This signature adds .5 bhp.
When in doubt, gun it.
84 2m4 —in progress to— 84 2m6sc

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having gone to extremes with my coilover system my advice for a much better than stock front system would be to put new rubber bushings in the lower and upper control arms, stiffer stock length springs and Rodneys lowering ball joints. For shocks I would go through the QA1 catalogue and get a double adjustable shock the same length as stock with same as stock mounts on them. You can basically custom build a set of shocks that way.I suggest rubber for the stock arms because there is a lot of binding that happens with the stock 84 to 87 front suspension and poly wears and goes soft fairly quickly as a result.

Arraut motorsports recently stopped producing their coilover suspensions so the only place you can get that type of suspension is West Coast Fiero as far as I know.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
QA1's shocks are pretty much the standard when it comes to road coarse shocks. KYB's are not terrible by any stretch, but for an everyday driver they are perfect. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Take a look at West Coast Fiero as they do have A kit for full coil overs. I do not have any experience with that setup though.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 02-27-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timenewton:

what is recommended and what equipment is recommended. I do know I want to lower it more than stock.

For what... Looks? Daily-driver? Autocross/track?

You give nothing to base recommendations on.

timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

For what... Looks? Daily-driver? Autocross/track?

You give nothing to base recommendations on.

Just a fun driver. Not looking to go broke on suspension. A few hundred bucks max.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The QA1's I mentioned above are about 280.00 a piece going from memory , everything else is pretty cheap. So I have blown your budget but believe me you would be happy with the results.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
type this into google:

site:fiero.nl lowering

it will tell you everything you need to know.

RJ
timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks people. I think im going to keep the front traditional with lowering springs and kyb then coilover conversion on the rear and kyb struts.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think im going to keep the front traditional with lowering springs...

Keep in mind you can't just slap a set of lowering springs in the front of '84-'87 Fieros without shortening the metal bump stop cones... which is a rather involved process.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-28-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99

I was sent a PM, but I think it would be better served by responding here.

So would just doing drop ball joints save alot of hassle?

IMO, yes.

Lowering and/or cut springs, while very effective in lowing the front end, require the front bump stops to be shortened. (And I'm referring to the metal cones, not just the rubber bumpers.) Otherwise, the lower control arms end up "sitting" on the bump stops. This makes for a very rough ride and poor handling.

Someone who's used them can perhaps chime in here, but lowering ball joints don't locate the lower control arms any closer to the bump stops. Therefore further modifications aren't required. Double-check though what Rodney Dickman has to say about his 1" lowering ball joints and wheel clearance Here.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Someone who's used them can perhaps chime in here, but lowering ball joints don't locate the lower control arms any closer to the bump stops. Therefore further modifications aren't required. Double-check though what Rodney Dickman has to say about his 1" lowering ball joints and wheel clearance Here.

We had this exact discussion already:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/139899.html#p2

My opinion is that an 84-87 can be moderately lowered (by lowered springs), without addressing the bumpstops. That is my experience from having semi-daily-driven an 84-87 Fiero for 8 years. This Fiero had cut springs and stock bumpstops.

I am somewhat interested in Rodney's 1" lowering ball joint, but I would like to know what make/model/year the LBJ normally fits, if it's not a custom part he had made for our crowd. I won't buy a wear part that doesn't have a second source; I want my project car's future maintenance to be immune from at least one supplier's bankruptcy.
timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great ideas and thanks for the already talked about topic, which pretty much covers it. Oks since lowering springs is a no-go what about spring upgrades for the front? I'd like to rebuild the complete setup. Can you change stiffness by different rating springs for the front and are there any?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You haven't told us much about your 86 Fiero, but if it's the base version, then you could step up to the stiffer Y99, or top-of-the-line WS6 springs.

See if any of these RPO codes are on the sticker on the left front wheel well.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

We had this exact discussion already:
Im trying to lower my Fiero

That was nine months ago. I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

But yes, it's definitely worthwhile mentioning that most topics have been covered repeatedly at PFF over the years... and the Search function here works pretty good. OP,hint hint

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-28-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock