Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Might buy my first Fiero. Is this one worth it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Might buy my first Fiero. Is this one worth it? by Donut0389
Started on: 02-02-2018 05:46 PM
Replies: 15 (381 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 02-06-2018 11:13 PM
Donut0389

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Donut0389Send a Private Message to Donut0389Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all. Going to look at a 1984 Fiero on Tuesday. Figured I'd a find a forum and ask some owners what they think about it.

So it's an 84. 4 speed manual. 4 cylinder. Engine is listed as a Jasper motor with 6k miles on it. Only problem stated by the owner is a bad clutch line which I've already looked up a stainless steel replacement online. Are there any aftermarket solutions to deal with the heat issues like auxillary fans?

What should I look for and what should I be wary of? My understanding is that the Jasper engines are much less prone to the fire hazard that the original Iron Dukes in the 84 suffered from.

[This message has been edited by Donut0389 (edited 02-02-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look for rust under the trunk carpet and battery tray and anywhere else you can see the frame. You need to find out if the engine will run properly. My last 2.5 got overheated courtesy a broken engine v belt. After that it would run well for about 10 minutes then lose most of its power. I assume it was a bad head gasket but that car was not mine when all this happened.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be aware of the current prices.

Check for crushed coolant tubes running behind the rocker panels on each side. If the Fiero isn't driveable, rust-free, and functional, I'd keep looking. Make sure there are no oil leaks. Ignore the plastic body panels when checking for rust. Check the setvice history. By now, the suspension, ball joints, fuel lines, motor and transmission mounts, etc should have been replaced. The clutch and slave cylinder probably need to be replaced, if they haven't been. Check that the brakes aren't locked up. The 4 bolts on the steering column will need to be tightened, if they haven't been, already. Check for function of the blower motor in the trunk. If the cat and muffler are original, they will need to be replaced.

Be aware that the '84 is different from other years. This isn't necessarily an issue for parts, but the wiring is different, the B-pillars are different, and there are other minor differences.

The first thing you need to do after purchasing a Fiero is to clean the heater box and blower resistor. Maintaining a proper oil level is critical.
Donut0389

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Donut0389Send a Private Message to Donut0389Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a little more info about that clutch line. Owner says he started up the car one day and the line blew out while parked. Says the only recent maintenance other than the Jasper engine is that the brake lines got replaced.

[This message has been edited by Donut0389 (edited 02-02-2018).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for Rust behind the carpet in the trunk corner. Here’s an example:

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clutch lines will be a pain to replace, and I believe the slave cylinder should be replaced at that time. Ideally, the entire clutch system should be gone through.

Still check the brakes for operation. The calipers love to lock up--especially the rears.

Be familiar with the function of the e-brake. It's a sports-car variety.

The steering rack will probably need to be refurbished, along with the wheel bearings.

Just like with any other vehicle, plan to flush and replace the fluids. The fuel pump (in the tank) will need to be replaced if it hasn't been already. The headlight motors will also need to be rebuilt, if they haven't been already.

In addition, the '84 has a steering dampner. This is visible from the underside front. It sits horizontally behind the front bumper cover, and looks like a shock. If this is all rusty, it is probably in need of replacement.

Here are some things to check.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!
Pittsburgh fiero owner here, there is an 87 GT 5 speed that seems worth looking at. I seldom trust sellers to fully divulge the reasons they have given up on Fieros. Find out how long it has been sitting, any length of time warrants brake work if stored outside.
Longer periods of time warrants a fuel tank purge as well.
Expect to spend a lot more than what the clutch line costs, our beloved cars often have MANY points of attention needing addressed.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You didn't mention the asking price, unless I missed it.
I should mention that there is some wiring and a few mechanical bits that are specific to the 84s. Makes them a bit more difficult to troubleshoot, and retrofit, if that's your thing.
Incremental improvements were made each year, to improve the utility and reliability of the cars, up to the complete suspension and brake redesign in 88. (And then they killed it, in typical GM fashion.)

With all of that said...
Welcome to our obsession!
Donut0389

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Donut0389Send a Private Message to Donut0389Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
You didn't mention the asking price, unless I missed it.

Ah. I did forget. $950. From what I'm hearing here the metal in the body better be near perfect to garner anywhere near that. Based on what I see when I look at it, I'm going to offer $500-$700. It doesn't move right now because of the blown clutch line so I'll need to have it towed. That right there hurts the price. But on the flip side the engine is nearly brand new at 6k miles.

I should mention that there is some wiring and a few mechanical bits that are specific to the 84s. Makes them a bit more difficult to troubleshoot, and retrofit, if that's your thing.

I'm a bit of a backyard mechanic and have a tight-ish budget. I've had to keep a beat 1990 Volvo 240 and a beat 1992 BMW 535i running on a budget. I figure a piece of 80s General Motors should be a bit easier than either of those.

Incremental improvements were made each year, to improve the utility and reliability of the cars, up to the complete suspension and brake redesign in 88. (And then they killed it, in typical GM fashion.)

Yeah. The 84 looks to be the least loved Fiero.

With all of that said...
Welcome to our obsession!

We'll see. This car is a curiosity to me for now. But the last time I bought a curiosity was the Volvo 240. Even though it was FAR ftom in good shape, I still fell in love with it. Had it for four years. Sad day when I had to scrap it.

And thank you all for the replies. One thing I should have mentioned is that in the case of this car, I'm just looking for a daily driver. I LOVE weird 80s/90s cars. So when I saw this Fiero I was like "Well, shoot. You don't very much weirder than mid engined Pontiac." I can just imagine me blasting down back roads, laughing maniacally in a poor mans Ferrari.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being in Pittsburg, rust will be a main concern. Most everything else can be worked with. You can make most GM fwd drive trains work in it.
Get rid of the BMW. Keep the 240. If budget is a concern.
Donut0389

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Donut0389Send a Private Message to Donut0389Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Being in Pittsburg, rust will be a main concern. Most everything else can be worked with. You can make most GM fwd drive trains work in it.
Get rid of the BMW. Keep the 240. If budget is a concern.

You misunderstand. Both are gone. The 240 went to scrapyard in the sky in 2015. BMW is barely alive and owned by my cousin. Currently sharing a 97 Crown Vic with the girlfriend.
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2018 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Donut0389:
Ah. I did forget. $950. From what I'm hearing here the metal in the body better be near perfect to garner anywhere near that. Based on what I see when I look at it, I'm going to offer $500-$700. It doesn't move right now because of the blown clutch line so I'll need to have it towed. That right there hurts the price. But on the flip side the engine is nearly brand new at 6k miles.

Negociate the price on that basis, but if you don't plan on driving through traffic, you can limp home without the use of the clutch pedal...
Donut0389

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Donut0389Send a Private Message to Donut0389Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I went and saw both Fieros. I'm kinda sad. The one with the blown clutch line was just nothing but trunk rot and hadn't moved for a year. The other was an SE that was parked 12 (yes, TWELVE) years ago because of a broken shift wire and while less rotted, had the impossible to find tires for 13 inch wheels and has been sitting for 12 years.

I was sad though. Sat in the one that was parked for 12 years. I loved the feel inside that car. It bled 80s design. But I'm not looking for a high cost project. I'm looking for a good runner I can get two or three years out of.

If any of you are interested in parts or restoration, the guy has the white Fiero listed on Facebook marketplace. Pittsburgh area. Just type in Fiero. It's in Burgettstown.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finding a Fiero that will give you 3 years of driveability right out of the gate is going to cost you more what you where just looking at. What is your price range?
Donut0389

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Donut0389Send a Private Message to Donut0389Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My budget right now is about $1600. In about another month that'll be around $2000.

I wouldn't be trying to find another one except I sat in one. And it just felt right. The seat fit perfect. Pedals felt nice. The interior was uniquely 80s with everything being squares. I fell in love with the design. Now I just need one that runs and is roadworthy.

[This message has been edited by Donut0389 (edited 02-06-2018).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the rear wheel wells where the liner comes down between the strut and engine bay, feel behind the liner for signs of rust on the frame rails. For me that would be a no sale.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock