Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  When making a post does anyone really want to WAIT?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
When making a post does anyone really want to WAIT? by JohnWPB
Started on: 01-14-2018 06:20 PM
Replies: 11 (306 views)
Last post by: Fierochic88 on 01-15-2018 07:21 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going on 9 years now, I have wondered why the forum, when making a new post, editing a post, sending a PM ect takes you to the screen that says:

Click here if you do not want to wait any longer (or if your browser does not automatically forward you).

What is the purpose, of a screen that makes you wait, or makes you click a link so you do not have to.

My question is has anyone EVER really "want to wait any longer"?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don"t know about specifically here, but this is sometimes used when changing between languages. For example, changing between Perl and PHP. Really, you have to use sessions. Often, this is transparent, but on some sites it's very clumsy. Face it: this forum is running on old software. There are MANY unfriendly aspects, including image posting, navigation (having to hit back a bunch, rather than home), retrieval, rate-limiting (required because of the delay you mentioned), actually the entire posting process, the search feature, large image display on small screens, and the links for srchived threads (think links from other threads, next, previous). Viewing on mobile devices is less than great. Mostly, the forum is sluggish. You cannot delete your own posts. Renaming and deleting threads is an issue.

That delay is nowhere near the top of my list. I"m not paying to change it, though, so it is what it is.

Edit:It says if you DO NOT WANT TO WAIT any longer. An impatience button. I'm still thinking it's a META REFRESH. Setting it to 0 causes issues.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-14-2018).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I don"t know about specifically here, but this is sometimes used when changing between languages. For example, changing between Perl and PHP.

I do not think that is the case here on the forum. It is unlikely this older software is written in different languages, unless maybe Fortran and Pascal The page just has a basic html "refresh" link:

<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="3; URL=//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097507-26.html#p1006">

Simply changing the Content="3" to a "0" would immediately redirect, with no waiting, and no having to click a link.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I do not think that is the case here on the forum. It is unlikely this older software is written in different languages, unless maybe Fortran and Pascal The page just has a basic html "refresh" link:

<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="3; URL=//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097507-26.html#p1006">

Simply changing the Content="3" to a "0" would immediately redirect, with no waiting, and no having to click a link.

I read somewhere that this forum is in PHP, yet I saw a CGI script, at one point. I believe it is in multiple languages, because I don't recall PHP being a CGI language.

As stated previously, setting the redirect to 0 causes issues, and may prevent the redirection from working at all. When coding for a public web site, you have to ensure consistency and compatibility. Also, when it is set to 0, you tend to get cached results.

If it would make you happy, he could do what other sites do, and not redirect at all; rather, it could state that your post completed successfully, and make you click a button. Like I said, this is WAY down my list.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. I do want to wait and, I almost always do.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good things come to those who wait (assuming your browser automatically forwards).
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has long been said, that patience is a virtue and when you've been as many miles and lived as many years as I have, you about lost all your other virtues, so I gotta hang on to at least this solitary remaining one.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never clicked the link and always let it do its thing. Maybe it is a hold over from the dial up days, or a method to get more page clicks and ad revenue...but who knows, I am not a computer guy.

From my perspective, it doesn't really slow anything down significantly as I still hit the flood control limit (which is fine) from time to time.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its just the PFF version of the "You are now leaving the Xxxxxx site and will be re-directed shortly" message that some websites show you when you click on a link on their site. Nothing too exciting, move along.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2018 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just understanding that this forum is 18 plus years old will help. Think off all the changes taking place in the world around you. There was not even the term "mobile device" when this began. Then there is PFF. A well worn shirt. Your favorite even. Yes, it has holes, you can detect an odor even after washing, but it is your favorite shirt.

It is just an understanding of things. Not the daily change that frustrates you when you get ANOTHER update on your devices. I like it the way it is. I like the fact that it does not change all the time. This is a forum about a Fiero. I like that.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-15-2018).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Browsing this forum brings me back in time to my teenage days wondering around and chatting on internet forums. I love it, brings back a lot of good memories.

I wait every time for the page to load. Old habits die hard I guess!

In fact, as soon as I press submit for this post, I'll be doing it. I'm going in boys!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PFF
System Bot
Fierochic88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Browsing this forum brings me back in time to my teenage days wondering around and chatting on internet forums. I love it, brings back a lot of good memories.

I wait every time for the page to load. Old habits die hard I guess!

In fact, as soon as I press submit for this post, I'll be doing it. I'm going in boys!

LOL, I always wait too ;-)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock