Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Why block your pictures from others to copy it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why block your pictures from others to copy it? by Fiero Vice
Started on: 01-11-2018 07:44 PM
Replies: 28 (641 views)
Last post by: Fiero Vice on 01-14-2018 06:26 PM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2018 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ever since I joined nearly three years ago, I noticed when I see a picture of something being done on a Fiero that I like, I tend to save it to my hard drive as part of my bucket list to do for my Fiero.

But what makes it a pain in the bottom is when people added a BLOCK feature on their pictures to stop all of us from being able to save it to our hard drive.

Personally, I think that's DUMB!!!

Anyone could easily press "PrtScr" & paste it in Paint Shop & save it in their hard drive. More work, yes & VERY annoying.

Really, you should be flattered that someone wants to do same thing to their Fieros that you did with yours.

So, please do all of us a favor & don't block your pictures from being able to save it.

If you don't want us Fiero enthusiasts to be able to save your pictures, then please don't bother to post it at all for us to see.

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 01-11-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2018 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is this BLOCK feature?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2018 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Ever since I joined nearly three years ago, I noticed when I see a picture of something being done on a Fiero that I like, I tend to save it to my hard drive as part of my bucket list to do for my Fiero.

But what makes it a pain in the bottom is when people added a BLOCK feature on their pictures to stop all of us from being able to save it to our hard drive.

If you don't want us Fiero enthusiasts to be able to save your pictures, then please don't bother to post it at all for us to see.

Over the span of 20 years, I have never ever been "blocked" from copying an image to my hard drive from an internet forum.

Give us a link to an example where this has been implemented.

There's certainly no way to "block" an image that's been uploaded and hosted using PIP.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-11-2018).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2018 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The people posting pictures here are NOT blocking them. Many hosting sites that people are uploading their pictures to, put code in place, like it or not, to disable right clicking and saving images ect. PhotoSuckit was one of the worst for this, as well as Flickr.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 01-11-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for responding to this issue, guys. It's really frustrating for me.

I don't know what programs they were using. Let me give you an example.

If you try to save one of Whodeanie's pictures for Yellowstone modification, it was blocked when I saved it. I'll post a link here so you guys can test it out & see what is happening here. You can save the picture, but cannot view it at all. Why is that? I got the impression that some people put some kind of block feature on their pictures. I don't have a problem with most people's pictures, but few have this type of block. I don't know what it was.

The same thing happened from "Before and After Picture" thread recently. I don't want to point out anyone, but if there is truly a block feature, then it needs to be addressed.

Maybe you guys can figure it out what is happening here. Here's what it looks like for a picture I saved to my hard drive from Whodeanie.

So I have to resort to Photo Shop to edit the pic & save which could take up more time. Ha

Here's the link to the thread for Whodeanie's pictures.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/087194-3.html

Hope you guys can figure out what is happening here.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 01-12-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

The people posting pictures here are NOT blocking them. Many hosting sites that people are uploading their pictures to, put code in place, like it or not, to disable right clicking and saving images ect. PhotoSuckit was one of the worst for this, as well as Flickr.

John, you might be right about that. That's how I saved pictures.

Do you think Whodeanie's pics were from a hosting party, not PIP?
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a screen grabber and just copy anything you like no need to right click.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you try to save one of Whodeanie's pictures for Yellowstone modification, it was blocked when I saved it. I'll post a link here so you guys can test it out & see what is happening here. You can save the picture, but cannot view it at all. Why is that? I got the impression that some people put some kind of block feature on their pictures. I don't have a problem with most people's pictures, but few have this type of block. I don't know what it was.

Here's the link to the thread for Whodeanie's pictures.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/087194-3.html

I've downloaded the following image from that thread to my hard drive. I can view it just fine on my computer. I've linked to it here...

Anyone who can't see the above image needs to install the Photobucket Fix.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've downloaded the following image from that thread to my hard drive. I can view it just fine on my computer. I've linked to it here...

Anyone who can't see the above image needs to install the Photobucket Fix.

Thank you, Patrick, for checking it out. Lucky you, it works just fine for you. Yes, I can see the picture of yellowstone's car on a lift that you posted and on the thread as well.

I've already used the photobucket fix for Firefox thru google search after reading that thread link as you posted few weeks ago.

But this problem of not being able to save a picture goes back to three years ago, way before photobucket issue appeared.

So, I don't believe this is a photobucket issue. Patrick, what browser do you use and how did you saved whodeanie's picture?

I'm surprised you were able to save that picture to your hard drive without any problem. On both of my laptops, I was not able to save it.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 01-12-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...what browser do you use and how did you saved whodeanie's picture?

I run Chrome on Win7 Pro. Right click image... select Save image as...

[EDIT] ...and save it as a JPG image.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-12-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Get a screen grabber and just copy anything you like no need to right click.

Thank you, Australian, for this suggestion. It might just solve my issue.

On top of that, I still have the same issue on my brand new laptop that I purchased two years ago that I just put into use last spring with Window 7 professional as I did on my older laptop.

Maybe Firefox browser is the issue? I could use the screen grabber as Australian mentioned.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

I run Chrome on Win7 Pro. Right click image... select Save image as...

Chrome as a browser. Hmm I will have to look into it, but I already invested a lot of time setting up my Firefox browser. I'm already used to it now. I know I could transfer all of my bookmarks & etc if needed.

Maybe someone could chime in with their Firefox experience?

Thank you, Patrick, for your help.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

...and save it as a JPG image.

Same here. Maybe the issue is Firefox.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using Chrome (with Photobucket fix) and I can right click/save pics.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Where is this BLOCK feature?

I'd use such a feature if there were one. Not for the stuff I post on here, which is just car pics, but for the stuff I put on Flickr. I got tired of my pictures being stolen and re-posted by other people on their websites and blogs, in their Youtube videos and worst of all, businesses (including a TV station) using them on their own websites. Haven't they ever heard of "ask first"?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I got tired of my pictures being stolen and re-posted by other people on their websites and blogs, in their Youtube videos and worst of all, businesses (including a TV station) using them on their own websites. Haven't they ever heard of "ask first"?

I had a vendor/business (that flogs Fiero parts online) steal one of my photos I posted at PFF and use it at their website without asking permission. Pissed me off. As soon as I discovered this, I demanded they remove it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chrome as a browser. Hmm I will have to look into it, but I already invested a lot of time setting up my Firefox browser. I'm already used to it now. I know I could transfer all of my bookmarks & etc if needed.

Maybe someone could chime in with their Firefox experience?

Thank you, Patrick, for your help.
Chrome is a browser.
Chrome OS sim to Android is an Operating System by Google to run on Many Netbooks.

I see only Pb Error Picture above because have better things then DL another plugin that may work for a week or three... (At lest 3 fixer plugins just for FF)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-12-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

I see only Pb Error Picture above because have better things then DL another plugin that may work for a week or three... (At lest 3 fixer plugins just for FF)

Ogre, that Photobucket Fix that I linked to has been going strong for six months. Quit being such a sourpuss.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John, you might be right about that. That's how I saved pictures.

Do you think Whodeanie's pics were from a hosting party, not PIP?

As you can clearly see here, the pictures from the thread you linked to above, are hosted on PhotoSuckit.

Photo bucket and Flickr are notorious for disabling image saving.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

...the pictures from the thread you linked to above, are hosted on PhotoSuckit.

Photo bucket and Flickr are notorious for disabling image saving.

I agree that Botophucket sucks, but there is nothing "disabling" or "blocking" that image (copied below) from being downloaded/saved.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ogre, that Photobucket Fix that I linked to has been going strong for six months. Quit being such a sourpuss.
Look at # of DL is why... Example: FF Fix plugins By Foldor < 8000, by BridgeTroII < 5000, by jlevers < 2000.
As more people DL Pb "Fixes" and Pb see how many pic links are "restored" for "freeloaders" then they can/will change how all links work on their site again.

Not only affect PFF...
Example https://www.plagiarismtoday...-kind-content-theft/
In a nutshell: He and others made a lot money by/for other sites but still wants free image hosting and whining saying Pb is steeling content etc.

PB change is wrong way done but Pb is losing big money and won't be around long doing so.
Photobucket addresses complaints over new policy that charges heavy users $400 Denver photo-sharing site says it needs to find “sustainable business” The Denver Post
You likely soon be seeing Pb Sold or Bankrupt like others used free pic hosting here. Dig thru the archive and look at data for dead link and picture. Like Webshots gone. Even Kodak Easy Share site was quickly killed and and content sold Shutterfly when Kodak went Bankrupt.

Many move to imgur.com likely did not read https://imgur.com/tos etc. "We may revise these terms from time to time without notice." Meaning that can do same as Pb to keep making money when ads isn't enough.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As more people DL Pb "Fixes" and Pb see how many pic links are "restored" for "freeloaders" then they can/will change how all links work on their site again.

PB change is wrong way done but Pb is losing big money and won't be around long doing so.

On both of those points, this remains to be seen. In the meantime, I'm glad I can presently still see embedded Photobucket images. I'm certainly not going to uninstall the "fix" that continues to work fine.

Not only affect PFF...
Example Photobucket and a Different Kind of Content Theft
In a nutshell: He and others made a lot money by/for other sites but still wants free image hosting and whining saying Pb is steeling content etc.

Ogre, I believe you've misread and/or misinterpreted what the author of that article stated. In regards to his business website, he stated... "all images are hosted on the same server the site is". He hasn't used Photobucket for a decade, so I hardly think that he's "whining" about losing "free image hosting". However, I do thank you for the link as it was a good read.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2018 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a complaint from another Firefox user with similar issue. I think it's only for photobucket photos being corrupted when saved on Firefox.

Firefox Image Save Complaint

I tried to find an add-on for this specific issue, but I think one is not created for Firefox yet.

Maybe this will give someone an idea on how to fix this issue.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried to find an add-on for this specific issue, but I think one is not created for Firefox yet.

Ummm... I already posted a link earlier in this thread that included a Firefox "fix". HERE is a direct link.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-14-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you aren't hosting your images here, they will go away, or others won't be able to view them. I refuse to be forced to use a particular browser, or to install a plugin. I realize that this makes many of the threads here useless.

There are methods of image blocking that will prevent screen captures from capturing them, but what is the point? If you post something online, it's for people to see. I have done things to images I posted to obscure content, but what I posted was there to be seen. I have images others have posted. Heck, I printed some, and used them while working on my Fiero. If others use some of my images, I'm flattered.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I refuse to be forced to use a particular browser, or to install a plugin. I realize that this makes many of the threads here useless.

No one's "forcing" you... it's your choice. If you choose to miss out on site content, that's your loss.

Seriously though, it seems rather odd that you won't even add a browser plug-in. What's your concern?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-14-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just not willing to jump through hoops. I've been to sites that insist that viewers use or not use a particular browser. I refuse to be dictated to or manipulated. I do not like the agendas that these people exhibit. Or perhaps they're incompetent web designers. I leave that site and don't return.

Plugins slow down your computer and your browser. They are potential security vulnerabilities. This particular one isn't a permanent fix. Chrome collects tellemerty. Most of my browsing is done from a device that doesn't accelt plugins. I certainly won't change devices, just to view a thread.

My question is, why don't these people host their images here, and save everyone the trouble?

As pertains to these other hosting services, I do not support them, or their data mining/collection, or their ad targeting.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ummm... I already posted a link earlier in this thread that included a Firefox "fix". HERE is a direct link.

Patrick, that's the same plugin I added to my browser back in January 3rd after reading kriswinner's thread about photobucket fix. But I updated that plugin again today thru your link. Nothing changes.

When I tried to save a picture to my hard drive again, it's corrupted. As for viewing Whodeanie's pictures, this plugin helps to be able to view those photobucket pics again, but it does nothing to save those pics to my hard drive without being corrupted.

I sent a feedback to Firefox, hoping they will look into it.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 01-14-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by tshark:
I'm just not willing to jump through hoops. I've been to sites that insist that viewers use or not use a particular browser. I refuse to be dictated to or manipulated. I do not like the agendas that these people exhibit. Or perhaps they're incompetent web designers. I leave that site and don't return.

Plugins slow down your computer and your browser. They are potential security vulnerabilities. This particular one isn't a permanent fix. Chrome collects tellemerty. Most of my browsing is done from a device that doesn't accelt plugins. I certainly won't change devices, just to view a thread.

My question is, why don't these people host their images here, and save everyone the trouble?

As pertains to these other hosting services, I do not support them, or their data mining/collection, or their ad targeting.

Yeah, you have a good point, Tshark! I think those fixes are only temporary too.

One of these days, when Photobucket or other hosting sites go out of business or taken over by other companies, there's a good chance all of those pictures will be gone. Who will take the time to repost all those pictures again for all those threads?

Those pictures are valuable to us Fiero enthusiasts. I think it's best to force our habit to use PIP.

Look at some of Yellowstone's pictures are now gone when his website was shut down. We have to encourage members here to use PIP for safe keeping.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 01-14-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock