Started on: 12-27-2017 05:25 PM
Replies: 5 (577 views)
Last post by: Threedog on 12-30-2017 03:14 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have a L36(Series II 3800) in my Fiero, but the clutch is starting to go and I am going to need to remove the engine.

The car works fantastically, runs well, it just needs a clutch. However, I really want a bit more power out of it. I also own a 97 Buick Riviera with an L67(3800SC) at about 150k on the clock. The Riviera is kinda big(I live in a city) and I am thinking about just taking the L67 out, scrapping the Riviera, and throwing the L67 into the Fiero. I would need to get a the computer tuned and figure out a second winter car, but it is very doable. This does mean that I would be throwing away a perfectly good 3800 that is currently in the Fiero...

Is it really possible/practical to reliably throw a blower on a L36? Or is it more trouble than its worth? Research brings back answers all over the board, and I would like something that works more than something that gets me a marginal increase in power.

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 12-27-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Buck531

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're not trying to squeeze every ounce of HP out of it I wouldn't worry about it. It would gain you a few HP (20ish) but you're looking at swapping everything except the short block. The heads, LIM, etc all need to be moved over. Then you're looking at a gasket kit. Even then you'll have to run a larger pulley (depending on what you have done to it) or you'll see even more KR. If you're running a 3.4 now you'd want to run a 3.5 or a 3.6. The almost full point in compression.

If I were you I'd just leave the motor alone.

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2. 12.5@108 1.8 60'.

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Buck531:

If you're not trying to squeeze every ounce of HP out of it I wouldn't worry about it. It would gain you a few HP (20ish) but you're looking at swapping everything except the short block. The heads, LIM, etc all need to be moved over. Then you're looking at a gasket kit. Even then you'll have to run a larger pulley (depending on what you have done to it) or you'll see even more KR. If you're running a 3.4 now you'd want to run a 3.5 or a 3.6. The almost full point in compression.

If I were you I'd just leave the motor alone.

Ah, my post seems to have been confusing.

I am asking about taking the 3800SC engine out and swapping the whole engine over to the Fiero, OR, just finding a blower to put on the current 3800 in the fiero.
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is what Buck531 is saying would 've more trouble, to swap blower. He is saying leave the 3800sc alone and swap whole engine over. Cause non supercharged is a weaker engine if I'm not mistaken, and not really meant for boost.
Buck531

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Ah, my post seems to have been confusing.

I am asking about taking the 3800SC engine out and swapping the whole engine over to the Fiero, OR, just finding a blower to put on the current 3800 in the fiero.

The problem is you can't just find a blower to put on the current 3800 NA blower. Yes, ZZP makes a "top swap" kit - https://zzperformance.com/3...upercharger-kit.html

but LOL the price on that is just stupid.

If I were you I'd just take the 3800 SC engine out.. and put it in the FIero.

The L36 can be run with boost but it's very picky. Robert Lamp ran 11.00 with a FSIC, Gen V, E85, etc until the motor gave out. He knows what he's doing with tuning and such. I'm not saying you don't but if you don't know what you're really getting into I would just swap the entire motor over and call it a day. It would be cheaper in the long run for you.

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2. 12.5@108 1.8 60'.

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2017 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Buck531:

The problem is you can't just find a blower to put on the current 3800 NA blower. Yes, ZZP makes a "top swap" kit - https://zzperformance.com/3...upercharger-kit.html

but LOL the price on that is just stupid.

If I were you I'd just take the 3800 SC engine out.. and put it in the FIero.

The L36 can be run with boost but it's very picky. Robert Lamp ran 11.00 with a FSIC, Gen V, E85, etc until the motor gave out. He knows what he's doing with tuning and such. I'm not saying you don't but if you don't know what you're really getting into I would just swap the entire motor over and call it a day. It would be cheaper in the long run for you.

This is the answer I was looking for, thank you! Looks like the Buick is on its last legs.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock