Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Driver's side mirror glass replacements.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Driver's side mirror glass replacements. by jmbishop
Started on: 12-21-2017 02:49 PM
Replies: 7 (453 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-28-2019 01:01 PM
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to buy one, ordered it on eBay and when I received it, the mirrored coating was on the wrong side. Both sides are reflective but the coated side is softer, scrub some water marks of it and it would damage it. They may be intentionally making mirrors this way but I don't want it, I want the coating on the correct side.

So I wanted the mirror ASAP, I ordered one from AutoZone and Orielys just in case. Both of them had the same type of coating on the wrong side of the lens....

I'll probably try Napa, but if anyone knows where to source a mirror with the coating on the correct side, I'd be grateful.

They have paint available that makes really good mirrors but I can't get the coating off, I tried a razor blade, acetone, muriatic acid and heat. I may resort to having a mirror cut.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only way to get the mirror coating off is to etch it off. Most mirrors use silver for the reflective coating which means soaking it in ferric chloride. The silver bonds to the glass at the molecular level, so there is no scrapping it off.

I just usually get my mirrors cut to fit at a glass shop (or they might even carry them in stock) - I have also seen them in auto parts stores that sell Dorman parts.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-21-2017).]

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m converting my car to power windows/mirrors and the original driver’s side mirror mount is broken. You’re welcome to the glass if you want it. I don’t remember what kind of shape the glass is in but I can check tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 12-21-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer, PM sent.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I just usually get my mirrors cut to fit at a glass shop (or they might even carry them in stock) - I have also seen them in auto parts stores that sell Dorman parts.

Can you get anti-glare glass?
What about the passenger side convex mirror?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Rodney sells replacement glass.
Thanks, Kit
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I think Rodney sells replacement glass.
Thanks, Kit

Nope. But Fiero Store does...
https://www.fierostore.com/...666%20%20%20%20%20LH

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-28-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TFS is likely getting same part as others.
Water and other damage then the mirror is likely not made right, have polluted water on them and/or are using paper towels or other abrasive cleaning.
Most Paper towels tissues etc are very bad to many mirrors, glasses and lenses, worse when the parts are coated for anti glare etc.
Many External mirrors hate Many "soaps" to wash cars too.

"Standard" mirrors for most things is 2nd Surface mirroring or IOW back coat mirroring. This is "cheap" and "easier" to make them and protects the coating from most things.

Is another type and most people don't understand why it matters...
This is the 1st Surface mirrors and what you see Doesn't go thru glass Twice and doesn't "ghost" the image because of this. This is used in many cars and a lot of other things because you get a better reflection at wide angles like car outside mirrors have problem with but You can damage the mirror w/ paper towels etc.

Before anyone asks... Most Non electric Internal Rear view w/ dim tab uses both types. 100% reflective 2nd surface for day, Flip the tab and use much "weaker" 1st surface for night.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock