Started on: 12-17-2017 10:05 PM
Replies: 7 (514 views)
Last post by: seajai on 12-25-2017 12:02 PM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on a setup to replace my automatic transmission gear selector with pushbuttons. I've already done a dash swap and I'd like to make a custom center console, and I think the pushbuttons would be a cool addition. I will make a custom circuit board and probably 3d print the buttons and housing. For safety I will have an enable button which will need to be held down to make the other buttons work. I also want to add a second layer of safety by adding a brake switch or maybe a speed input. My engine/transmission is from an 03 Chrysler and runs on CAN bus so I may try and use that for a speed input (if I can figure out how to hack the data bus).

Here is a short video of my setup.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 12-17-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice setup! I love the ability to customize the software and such. I have been researching, and wanting to do this for a few months now. I found a nice "off the shelf" version, but unfortunately it only has 3 positions. I would like 4 at least, P,R,N,D. Not too concerned about L1 and L2, as I do not plan on really towing anything heavy (I have the 4T54eHD transmission on my 3800SC swap)

I am no good at electronics, is this the setup that you did?

Here is the link to the 3 position one

Another fail safe I want to incorporate, is to not allow the transmission while driving, to go to either Reverse or Park.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-17-2017).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Nice setup! I love the ability to customize the software and such. I have been researching, and wanting to do this for a few months now. I found a nice "off the shelf" version, but unfortunately it only has 3 positions. I would like 4 at least, P,R,N,D. Not too concerned about L1 and L2, as I do not plan on really towing anything heavy (I have the 4T54eHD transmission on my 3800SC swap)

I am no good at electronics, is this the setup that you did?

Here is the link to the 3 position one

Another fail safe I want to incorporate, is to not allow the transmission while driving, to go to either Reverse or Park.

My setup is custom so I had to write my own code. I am using a servo instead of a linear actuator like your link. A servo (or linear servo) has a built-in encoder for position feedback and can be controlled using the servo library written for Arduino.

By using the library, a simple "servo.write" command followed by a degree number gets the servo to move to the desired position. This makes it easy to fine-tune the operation, all I need to do is change the degree# to get the servo to go to the exact position I need. So in theory, you could have 180 positions with a servo. I will need a strong servo to move the arm on the transmission but high torque servos get pretty expensive ($300 bucks or more) so I may go with a linear servo instead. A linear servo uses gear reduction to output more torque and are around $100 bucks.

Arduino servo library

Servo write command example

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 12-18-2017).]

VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really nice! Are you planning on incorporating the activation (safety) switch into the brake pedal switch like in most modern cars? Or do you plan to have the button finger pushed like in your video?

-Van
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

Looks really nice! Are you planning on incorporating the activation (safety) switch into the brake pedal switch like in most modern cars? Or do you plan to have the button finger pushed like in your video?

-Van

I'll probably end up using both the enable switch as well as a brake switch. I was thinking about putting a relay on the signal line between the servo and Arduino and controlling it with a brake switch. There is a little noise on the signal line that causes the servo to twich a little bit when it's idle. A relay on that line would stop the twitching and act as a safety switch.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had this option available for the LS4 swaps that I do. I use a linear actuator and a Arduino computer to drive the actuator. With the arduino you can set it up to select as many positions as you need. My system can be used on any automatic transmission.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://rover.ebay.com/rove...2Fitm%2F112672319066

Something like this may do the job, I've been looking at these to do a arduino hvac control.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 12-24-2017).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could get by with a regular servo for HVAC, the doors shouldn't need much force to move. Plus the servo library is easy to use. I was looking at this linear servo Which one depends on how much force it takes to move the shift lever on my transmission.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 12-25-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock