Solstice/Fiero by Harold James Kie
Started on: 12-09-2017 10:27 PM
Replies: 22 (1488 views)
Last post by: GTGeff on 12-29-2017 11:15 AM
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a curious thought. Are there many Fiero owners that also own a Solstice, and if so what is the general consensus of the latter? Is the opinion of the Solstice generally positive?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2017 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have a Solstice Coupe and previously had a convertible. The Fiero has a lot more room for both storage and in the passenger compartment. There are a few known issues with the Solstice (especially the 2.0 Turbo). I had to have the water pump replaced on my convertible and the only place that had the correct tool to do it was the ex-Pontiac dealer.

I enjoy my coupe and will hang on to it, but enjoy driving my Fieros more.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 12-09-2017).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife wanted one, until she sat in one. Was very cramped, and like looking out of a bunker.
But no... I / we have never owned one. So maybe that comment doesn't count.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never owned one but wish I had bought a coupe while they were available. The convertible does not have any trunk space when the top is down.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My understanding is that they are the typical GM/Pontiac plastic crap. They have no power, everything creaks and rattles on the interior, and even the door handles are 100% plastic so they often strip out and fall off in your hand or even break in half. You can contact V8 Archie and ask him. He owns one.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I test drove a brand new 2nd year Solstice. Instead of buying it, I rebuild the suspension and upgraded the brakes on my 86SE 2.8/4 speed. Less money, better car. No payments.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 12-10-2017).]

David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm 6'1" 170 lbs and find Fieros very accommodating. I sat in a 2005 Solstice and bumped my head on the roof hinge when I looked out the driver's window.
I liked the 2009 coupe but only saw one at an auto show & the doors were locked, so I couldn't check the headroom.
A (shorter) friend stores his Solstice convertible in my barn with my three Fieros; he lowers the roof for visibility when moving in the confined area.
He had an intermittent issue of the rear wheels locknig up; actually chirping the tires while driving. IIRC it had something to do with an intake cam actuator...
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't own a Soltice, never cared for the styling.

I bought the Miata, the car so many cars have tried to replicate but have failed to do so.

Except for maybe the Honda s2000, those were great cars, would get one if I found one that wasn't abused.

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-10-2017).]

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of negative here on the Solstice. But, there must be something to them . . . the low mileage versions are fetching big money even though they're only a decade old.

Meanwhile, our low mileage "antique" Fieros can still be bought for next-to-nothing (exception being well equipped 88 GTs).
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

My understanding is that they are the typical GM/Pontiac plastic crap. They have no power, everything creaks and rattles on the interior, and even the door handles are 100% plastic so they often strip out and fall off in your hand or even break in half. You can contact V8 Archie and ask him. He owns one.

Archie sold his V8 Solstice a year before he moved to Vegas. He replaced the LS1 with a LS3.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an 07 N/A Solstice for ~ 4 years and 20k miles. I REALLY liked the car, and still miss it when I see one going down the road... I personally love the styling and it has a very aggressive wide stance going down the road.
I did all sorts of driving with it from nearly a 1k mile day on the highway (got 34mpg too), and loads of mountain runs. Enjoyed every ride.
I did have an A/C , and top problem (caused by the insulated top option) but both were taken care of under warranty.
I have an electric top spider currently, and wish it had a top as simple as the Solstice, which had no mechanical / hydraulic to bust or leak! Very well designed, and found it no big deal to get out of the car to put it down/up. Easily a 30-40 second process.
I added vented side fenders, and a rear diffuser from Norms Fiberglass, and had the car lowered nearly 2" w/ Eibach springs, that really brought the car to what I wanted.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone thought of a swap option; using this engine from the solstice to the fiero..??..... the turbo model would be cool.... with some little upgrades.... I guess you can use the N/A; it has 173hp @5800, I read.. I think the turbo is in the high 200's? And it comes manual.. this would help with smog laws, I think, with California.

For technical purposes.... how much of the solstice do you think would have to be incorporated into the fiero?.. ecm, wiring, engine of course....

(Dash cluster, fuse panel?.. maybe steering column..? What else... does it have to be this elaborate?

Has anyone seen a solstice in the junk yard yet?

Is this even worth it?... updating a OBD1 to an OBDII
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Has anyone thought of a swap option; using this engine from the solstice to the fiero..??..... the turbo model would be cool.... with some little upgrades.... I guess you can use the N/A; it has 173hp @5800, I read.. I think the turbo is in the high 200's? And it comes manual.. this would help with smog laws, I think, with California.

For technical purposes.... how much of the solstice do you think would have to be incorporated into the fiero?.. ecm, wiring, engine of course....

(Dash cluster, fuse panel?.. maybe steering column..? What else... does it have to be this elaborate?

Has anyone seen a solstice in the junk yard yet?

Is this even worth it?... updating a OBD1 to an OBDII

The 2.4 Ecotec is also used in the Polaris Slingshot. A stand alone ECM is available.
Roger Thelin is selling mounts, and various other bits.

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And there is a turbo 2.4 ecotec on this forum as well. I have a turbo 2.2 ecotec. There are a few threads of ecotec powered fieros and a bunch that are not on here. It's not new stuff.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

And there is a turbo 2.4 ecotec on this forum as well. I have a turbo 2.2 ecotec. There are a few threads of ecotec powered fieros and a bunch that are not on here. It's not new stuff.

Yes.. I've seen those. I guess I just didn't think they were one in the same..
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own an 87 fiero gt a 2007 solstice GXP and a 2013 corvette grand sport. The solstice is the least fun car to drive but it is just a different drive. The solstice is a totally different car from the fiero although it's a fun sporty car. My girlfriend loves to drive it over the vette any day. I love the solstice for what it is especially how cheap it was and the only problems I've ever had with it were the door handle (x girlfriend physically ripped it off though) and a thermostat issue other than that the car has been great and fun to drive.

CharlieGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieGTClick Here to visit CharlieGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to CharlieGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sat in one and elected not to take it for a test drive. Instead I tried out a C5 vette and eventually ended up purchasing an 03 BMW Z4. I can honestly say that the Z4 was a fantastic car. I had no major issues with it for the 5 years I owned it and just a couple minor fixes. If you check them out I'd recommend the 3.0 vs. the 2.5. More torque and fun.

[This message has been edited by CharlieGT (edited 12-21-2017).]

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a five speed 07 Solstice, easily the worst car I've ever own. Lost a bunch of money on that car. Never been so happy to see it drive away when I sold it. The new owner called me up a few minutes later and told me it broke down on the side of the road.

Saw that car for sale on Craigslist a few months later.

Should have bought a Miata.

[This message has been edited by rbell2915 (edited 12-27-2017).]

kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Heard almost similar comment from a previous owner who owned one.
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never owned one, and don't think I will ever want to due to the problems GM was having at the time. That said, I always thought the Sky looked slightly better. If I were to own one, LS swap would be the way to go. GM, imo, made the same mistake Chrysler did with the Prowler in not offering a V8 option.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

Never owned one, and don't think I will ever want to due to the problems GM was having at the time. That said, I always thought the Sky looked slightly better. If I were to own one, LS swap would be the way to go. GM, imo, made the same mistake Chrysler did with the Prowler in not offering a V8 option.

+1 never owned one, thought the Saturn version was much better looking.
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a Solstice owner but tried one many years ago. Nice car but too small (I'm 6' 5", 250 lbs) for me.
I tried a 99 Porsche Boxter last year, even smaller LOL. Made the Fiero feel like an SUV!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I drove V8 Archies at the Dells a lot of years ago. I am 5'10" and remember my knees hitting the dash. Very cramped especially with my size. Absolutely no storage with the top down. Could maybe get three or four golf clubs in back, definitely no golf bag. Not a weekender car with someone else unless you take no luggage.

Jeff

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock