Hello chaps. GT in England. by AndyT
Started on: 12-05-2017 04:39 PM
Replies: 52 (1259 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 01-16-2018 03:28 PM
AndyT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello from near Liverpool, England. I own this 1987 GT. It came to the UK from the USA via Italy and a US serviceman that brought it over. It has 70,000 miles on it and I bought it last month from an 80 year guy who had kept it in a heated garage for the last 25 years of ownership. Its not perfect but it is very tidt and clean...and it runs good. I have removed the rear spolier for now because I like the look. I have covered the holes with my own scissor cut subtle graphics. I write for some classic car magazines and websites over here in England. autoclassics.com/ Classic Car Weekly/ Volksworld.
20171205_104059 by Andy Talbot, on Flickr

20171205_104033 by Andy Talbot, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by AndyT (edited 01-08-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car Welcome to the forum!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. That is a very clean looking Fiero. I bet you will turn a lot of heads with that car over there. I like how you handled the holes in the deck.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Brit, still have my accent after 24 years in the US, I was in Liverpool earlier this year, what a great city, i really enjoyed our short stay there.
And thats a great looking Fiero you found, must be fun driving it around those narrow country lanes !

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice way to cover those holes for the rear wing. Looks like it came stock on the car.
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice and clean car. Congratulations.

What kind of looks the Fiero gets in England? Anybody asks if it's an American car? Or what do they figure?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AndyT:

I have removed the rear spolier for now because I like the look. I have covered the holes with my own scissor cut subtle graphics.

Clever... looks good.

Welcome to the forum. Don't use words such as "litres" or "kilometers" here as it will confuse the Yanks.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hello from near Liverpool, England. I own this 1987 GT. It came to the UK from the USA...
Nice car... You been to see MOT testing? How did that go?
I ask because Most US cars need lighting and other changes to meet UK/EU rules and your car been in storage for years...
Example: Fiero often need to Rewire front markers not to blink and add extra side blinker between front tyre and door. Is an easy way if UK requires this change.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Clever... looks good.

Welcome to the forum. Don't use words such as "litres" or "kilometers" here as it will confuse the Yanks.

Thanks...

We DON'T use kilometeres or litres in the UK that much We have the same imperial system as the USA. ;-)

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AndyT

23 posts
Member since Oct 2017

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AndyT:
Hello from near Liverpool, England. I own this 1987 GT. It came to the UK from the USA...
Nice car... You been to see MOT testing? How did that go?
I ask because Most US cars need lighting and other changes to meet UK/EU rules and your car been in storage for years...
Example: Fiero often need to Rewire front markers not to blink and add extra side blinker between front tyre and door. Is an easy way if UK requires this change.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. It has been in the UK since 1991. The high level brake light doubles as a fog light if needed. The US front day running amber lights are disconnected and white side light bulbs inside the main headlamp which flip up when on.
AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AndyT

23 posts
Member since Oct 2017
The car has also had a radiator fan override switch fitted to aid cooling in stationary traffic etc. It also has a tray added at rear of engine so the rain Walter doesn't dump straight onto the rear manifold etc when the trunk js opened. My only issue at yhe moment hasn't been spotted yet....in the photo you might be able to tell the Continental rear tires are 205 not 215.

------------------
UK Classic Car Journalist & Voice over Actor
CARS: 1987 Fiero GT, 2002 Chrysler Sebring
PREVIOUS CARS: Porsche 914, Golf Country, VW Thing, Karman Ghia, 86 Fiero, Trabant, VW Split Ambulance.....

PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks...

We DON'T use kilometeres or litres in the UK that much We have the same imperial system as the USA. ;-)

Actually, a US gallon is 3.78 L vs. Imperial gallon 4.54 L

I'm surprised (and pleased of course) that an automotive journalist would pick a Fiero to own...

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 12-06-2017).]

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Actually, a US gallon is 3.78 L vs. Imperial gallon 4.54 L

I'm surprised (and pleased of course) that an automotive journalist would pick a Fiero to own...

Point taken about the Imperial US and UK gallon. ;-)

I had one before about 20 years ago. To be honest I recently sold a Porsche 914 and I wanted some low seated mid engined fun that wasn't the usual choice and didnt break the bank. I am writing about ownership for one of the mags at the moment. ;-)

------------------
UK Classic Car Journalist & Voice over Actor
CARS: 1987 Fiero GT, 2002 Chrysler Sebring
PREVIOUS CARS: Porsche 914, Golf Country, VW Thing, Karman Ghia, 86 Fiero, Trabant, VW Split Ambulance.....

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, welcome to the Forum
Cool you write for car mags.
The 80s cars are beginning to come into their own in the car scene.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am writing about ownership for one of the mags at the moment. ;-)

Is there a link so we can read it?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We DON'T use kilometeres or litres in the UK that much

That's rather surprising, especially considering the UK's membership in the European Union.

We have the same imperial system as the USA.

Yeah... that system works splendidly, doesn't it?

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

...a US gallon is 3.78 L vs. Imperial gallon 4.54 L

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PREVIOUS CARS: ... ... VW Split Ambulance.....

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the GT. I was so happy when I found my 88GT T top as hard as it was to find. I can not imagine finding one over seas.
Your GT looks great and I also like the no wing look, even though I kept mine.

I was born in Ruiclip England, military brat. My mom is full English, born in Cleathropes (? spelling ?).

Can you post pictures of the VW Split Ambulance ?
AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah... that system works splendidly, doesn't it?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Hambleton:

...a US gallon is 3.78 L vs. Imperial gallon 4.54 L

[/QUOTE]

The UK never gave up the old measurements...although we buy petrol by the litre we still talk of MPG....but distances and MPH are pretty much 'old school'.

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AndyT

23 posts
Member since Oct 2017
Will try

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AndyT

23 posts
Member since Oct 2017
My pieces about the Fiero haven't been published yet.....Here's the last classic I wrote about and owned.... Its now in LA
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.24883086_10155985131547915_1853977630_o by Andy Talbot, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by AndyT (edited 12-06-2017).]

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AndyT

23 posts
Member since Oct 2017
My first Fiero , an 86/87 GT. I owned this back in 1996. It was Canadian spec.

[img]22290566_10155811795767915_1028015974_n by Andy Talbot, on Flickr[/img]

[img]22264786_10155811795772915_1878435971_n by Andy Talbot, on Flickr[/img]

[This message has been edited by AndyT (edited 12-06-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the picture Andy. I was wondering what a "split ambulance" was. Split windshield I see. I remember the split rear VW bug, beetle windows. And the ones with semaphore turn signals.

I had a 1965 VW beetle 'baja bug'. You might be surprised what a VW van is going for now.

US $20,995.00.

US $29,995.00

This is just a online picture. I could not find a current sale. They go in excess of $100,000.00.

Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rn2016:

Very nice and clean car. Congratulations.

What kind of looks the Fiero gets in England? Anybody asks if it's an American car? Or what do they figure?

I'm going to re-post the question as I would really like to know to compare it to here.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Andy. Hope you enjoy your latest Fiero.

There are a few of us about. :-)

Cheers
PK
AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

Hello Andy. Hope you enjoy your latest Fiero.

There are a few of us about. :-)

Cheers
PK

Hi! Are you on facebook? Got any photos of yours?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Andy, you seem to be having a heck of a time posting images. Click on Edit on my post to see how the link to your images should look.

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
22290566_10155811795767915_1028015974_n by Andy Talbot, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by AndyT (edited 12-07-2017).]

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AndyT

23 posts
Member since Oct 2017
I'm using the image tab on the reply and then using flickr BBCode. Not correct?

Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. I guess I'm being ignored. Fine.
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi! Are you on face
book? Got any photos of yours?

Hi Andy,

Not on faceache no. I do have pics but difficult enough to post text on PFF from a phone (my only interweb access) ...pics no chance. :-) We used to have a UK club but I kind of gave that up when I got rid of the PC! There is a faceache group I think.

If I can help with oubt at any time just shout.

Cheers
PK

I have a blue 86 V6 SE which I have had since the late 90s.

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK. I guess I'm being ignored. Fine.

Not at all. Sorry, Just trying to think what to say...and working and time zones in the way... ;-) I've only done about 30 miles in her yet. I guess it looks more European than most Yank cars in the UK. American cars are often seen as poorly built and with handling to match, but the surprise comes when they find it is mid engined and has a space frame with plastic panels. The previous owner of mine has deleted out the rear PONTIAC illuminated badge and had the name taken off the headlight cover...So it leaves many heads to scratch...

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm using the image tab on the reply and then using flickr BBCode. Not correct?

Obviously not.

Click on EDIT of this post and compare how I linked to your image and how you linked to the same image. You'll notice that you've included a whole mess of extraneous text.

22290566_10155811795767915_1028015974_n by Andy Talbot, on Flickr
AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
done

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent!

The trick now is to do it successfully again with a different image.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-07-2017).]

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

Hi Andy,

Not on faceache no. I do have pics but difficult enough to post text on PFF from a phone (my only interweb access) ...pics no chance. :-) We used to have a UK club but I kind of gave that up when I got rid of the PC! There is a faceache group I think.

If I can help with oubt at any time just shout.

Cheers
PK

I have a blue 86 V6 SE which I have had since the late 90s.

Do you still have US amber running ligts up front?
boostedbird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She's a real beaut Clark.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2017 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow nice car don't do a thing to it.
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2017 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not at all. Sorry, Just trying to think what to say...and working and time zones in the way... ;-) I've only done about 30 miles in her yet. I guess it looks more European than most Yank cars in the UK. American cars are often seen as poorly built and with handling to match, but the surprise comes when they find it is mid engined and has a space frame with plastic panels. The previous owner of mine has deleted out the rear PONTIAC illuminated badge and had the name taken off the headlight cover...So it leaves many heads to scratch...

OK fair enough.

I'm sure if they see a Pontiac badge that would point them to the right direction. But what I meant is, I don't think the car is recognizable to the average joe. Is it to auto enthusiasts? And for those who don't know what it is, what they figure it is? I'm in the continent and a guy I spoke to who has a Fiero in Germany said lots of people ask him if it's Italian and even if it's some sort of Ferrari. His is bright red though. So I was just wondering what English people take a Fiero for on the streets. Just out of curiosity.

The question can be for any Fiero owners in the UK or Ireland.

[This message has been edited by Rn2016 (edited 12-08-2017).]

AndyT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyTSend a Private Message to AndyTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK fair enough.

I'm sure if they see a Pontiac badge that would point them to the right direction. But what I meant is, I don't think the car is recognizable to the average joe. Is it to auto enthusiasts? And for those who don't know what it is, what they figure it is? I'm in the continent and a guy I spoke to who has a Fiero in Germany said lots of people ask him if it's Italian and even if it's some sort of Ferrari. His is bright red though. So I was just wondering what English people take a Fiero for on the streets. Just out of curiosity.

The question can be for any Fiero owners in the UK or Ireland.

I heard someone say..."that's a Ferero!" He he he
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2017 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you still have US amber running ligts up front?

No. I have an 87/88 coupe front bumper. In the indicator recesses I have clear lense running lights and ticken tockens.

As you mentioned high level brake light doubles up as a fog light.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock