'88 by 06GTO
Started on: 11-26-2017 09:14 AM
Replies: 9 (500 views)
Last post by: boostedbird on 11-27-2017 06:50 PM
06GTO

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
** Edit** For some reason the title was deleted from this thread - odd

'88 "Mellow" Yellow build

So, figured I'd start my build thread for no other reason than to keep track of what I'm doing. Not my first Fiero, had an 86 4sp GT a while ago (which I should have kept). Did some work to it but got rid of it before I headed to Iraq a while ago. Put T-Tops in my 86 and liked them. Should of got another Fiero when I got back, but instead got one of these to work on:

Still have the Syclone, but been wanting another Fiero for a while now. I retired from the military a few months ago and am pretty much a stay at home Dad. Run a small business from my house, so needed another project to keep me busy.

Couldn't find an 88 Formula/GT 5 Speed for what I was willing to spend, so figure I'd make what I wanted. Gave my self a fairly light budget to work with.

Looked for while and found a nice '88 T-Top base coupe, w/AT. Bought it from the original owner (original title, which I should have taken picture of, but forgot to), but had been sitting a few years and didn't run. Trailered it home.

Plenty of use out of a winch on my RZR.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The Formula look is really growing on me so for this one I decided to go with a basic Formula knock-off. Stuck the Fiero in the rocks for the first few weeks getting some basic stuff done.

Tried to get the ol duke running (88K miles on it) but didn't want to spend a bunch of time on it so did some basic stuff and gave up. Figure the fuel pump was bad (turns on, but doesn't prime at all). Since I'm going with a V6, have to change the fuel pump anyways so didn't want to buy another 4 Cylinder one to just get it running.

Just gonna work on a "basic" build, fix a few things, get it running for a DD. Hence the mellow

[This message has been edited by 06GTO (edited 11-26-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First is the front suspension while I look for, and decide on, an engine/doner/whatever. Found a set of grey '88 wheels local (but still keeping an eye out for black lace).

Pulled the front end off. Rust isn't bad at all, but cleaned up what I found and did some painting.

Rust isn't bad at all, but cleaned up what I found and did some painting.

Sat in my garage a few weeks and the new calipers were already rusting, so put the front end back on the car so I can roll it around, without the calipers. Need to give them a coat of paint. Put some KBS coating on the frame all around the mounting points for the front suspension. Had some surface rust on it so figured why not.

Poly bushings. Rodney 1" lowering ball joints. Still trying to work out a solution for the front sway bar. The bolt/sleeve I got from Rodney, with the new bushings I have are just don't fit.

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

06GTO

220 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Given that I want to swap it over to a 5 speed, figured a parts car would be the best bet, especially since I want to eventually do stuff like power windows/locks and other nice to have's. While I found most of the items in the junkyards that I needed, held out of a doner.

Found this '87 GT 5 Speed local. Score!

Towed it home, but guess a back brake was locked up.

Yes, it caught fire!

Started pulling the interior apart on the '88 while I was deciding on the right engine to put in it. Need to source some new door panels.

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

06GTO

220 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Decided on the 3.4 Pushrod for the swap. Got one.

Local performance shop wants 2K to rebuild it, which will blow my budget. I don't know the history of this one so not sure I just want to toss it in the '88. For 2K I can go numerous routes for the engine, so I'm not 100% decided on what I'm gonna do yet.

Gonna talk to another local performance shop this week and see what just the machine work will cost, might just rebuild it myself. Have done it before, but it has been a LONG time.

While I'm still deciding on the engine, time to pull at least one cradle out. Got some use out of the RZR and winch again and shuffled the '88 and doner car around.

Also pulled the front bumper off the '88 to clean it up, clean up some surface rust from the bumper bar.

With Fiero going infront of the camper, wife says I need to have it done by spring so we can get to the camper.

[This message has been edited by 06GTO (edited 11-26-2017).]

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
06GTO, can u pm me the vin number. I will send you all the data I have on your t top car. Great find..
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, how do I get a moderator to fix the title of the thread? I
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, keep up the good work.

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V6 radiator installed.

Prepped for removal.

Getting her out.

And she's out. First one, took about 4 and a half hours. Rear bolts broke and cut the frame to get them out.

Anyone need an old Duke and/or AT?

[This message has been edited by 06GTO (edited 11-27-2017).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 06GTO:

So, how do I get a moderator to fix the title of the thread?

There is only one moderator here, and that would be Cliff Pennock. Send him a PM.
boostedbird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

There is only one moderator here, and that would be Cliff Pennock. Send him a PM.

The Man, The Myth, The Legend.

Nice work so far, going to be a slick build.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock