Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Hey guys long time! Another Fiero in Australia!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hey guys long time! Another Fiero in Australia! by Mr. Pat
Started on: 11-25-2017 10:10 PM
Replies: 18 (750 views)
Last post by: Mr. Pat on 02-18-2018 09:09 PM
Mr. Pat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone. Been out of the game for 10 yrs now. I had an lt1 4 speed gt back in the states. Long story short I just bought an 87 gt that's all the way in Perth (3500 kilometers away from me) and will be arriving in the next few weeks. Pretty excited to get one again. But thought I'd say gday and I have 2 small questions. First is for all the Aussie owners. How do you source parts and second has there been any progress on transmission strength. I'll be doing an ls swap probably next yr....I have a 5 speed. Thanks and hello again!

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E and the spray
R.I.P

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2017 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back. I remember the LT1 swap.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: The other summer car
14 GMC Sierra: Daily Driver

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in Sydney and I import any parts I need, there's not much here.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you, Pat!
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having been seriously thinking about importing a Fiero into Europe, I can relate to this thread. I guess it must be like having a Lotus Carlton in the U.S. or some other European car never sold in the U.S. It takes bravery to have a Fiero in Australia like it does to have one in Europe.

Reason I'm thinking about importing one even though you can find them quite cheap here is because I want a swapped car. By my calculations it will be much easier and cheaper if I just import an already swapped one from the U.S. Unless I could fit an European engine. Then it will be better done here as Europe has several great V6s and then I will never need to import parts for maintenance. But I'm not holding my hopes up that I can fit an Europen V6 on my won and deal with all the ECU and other computer related compatibility problems. Fitting it in there is the easy part. Making it work is what's hard.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back i am from Sydney. I buy a lot from ebay first have to hide my location to find stuff because nobody with used part volunteer to ship overseas. fierostore, fierosais, mrmikes, Rodnet Dickman, TLG fiero, West coast fiero have sent parts to Australia.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 12-23-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back! I remember your LT1 swap.

If you are interested in a LS swap, I would highly recommend the LS4 in either auto or manual. It is a transverse 5.3L V8 with the GM Metric bell housing, is factory rated at 303 fwhp and 325 fwtq, but can accept all the typical upgrades of any LS engine (mine is 382 rwhp and 335 rwtq, which is about 130 fwhp more than stock).

Original build thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000123.html

Here is where I am developing more parts for the LS4/F40 combo:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094411.html

The F40 6 speed is the FWD manual transmission with the highest GM torque rating (400 n-m or 290 ft-lb). A version of it had a 3.09 (vs. 3.55) final drive which is well suited for high torque applications and that final drive can be swapped into the G6 version that bolts to the LS4.

Details of the 3.09 final drive swap for the F40:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097738.html

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Welcome back! I remember your LT1 swap.

If you are interested in a LS swap, I would highly recommend the LS4 in either auto or manual. It is a transverse 5.3L V8 with the GM Metric bell housing, is factory rated at 303 fwhp and 325 fwtq, but can accept all the typical upgrades of any LS engine (mine is 382 rwhp and 335 rwtq, which is about 130 fwhp more than stock).

Original build thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000123.html

Here is where I am developing more parts for the LS4/F40 combo:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094411.html

The F40 6 speed is the FWD manual transmission with the highest GM torque rating (400 n-m or 290 ft-lb). A version of it had a 3.09 (vs. 3.55) final drive which is well suited for high torque applications and that final drive can be swapped into the G6 version that bolts to the LS4.

Details of the 3.09 final drive swap for the F40:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097738.html

largest legal engine size is 2 x 2..8 in Oz o pretty much L67 is engine of choice.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

largest legal engine size is 2 x 2..8 in Oz o pretty much L67 is engine of choice.

2 x 2.8 is 5.6, unless "common core" math has made that obsolete.
LS4 is 5.3. You're in!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-26-2017).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rn2016:

Having been seriously thinking about importing a Fiero into Europe, I can relate to this thread. I guess it must be like having a Lotus Carlton in the U.S. or some other European car never sold in the U.S. It takes bravery to have a Fiero in Australia like it does to have one in Europe.

You're very fortunate though that you have this forum in order to acquire unlimited information on Fieros. A year ago I bought a '98 JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Subaru Impreza WRX STi wagon, and I still haven't found a decent source of information on this car anywhere in the (English speaking) internet world. Compared to PFF for Fiero owners, Subie forums such as NASIOC aren't all that helpful for owners of JDM vehicles.
thefierofarm.com

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if i can help. I have sent fiero parts all over the world in the past. (It's crazy where these things are) I might need your input on cheapest way to ship but I have a pretty good collection of parts.

------------------
That Todd Guy

PFF
System Bot
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back to the gang!
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Mr. Pat, I also live in Melbourne, Australia and have an '87 GT 3.4L.

How's the condition of yours? I've seen a few for sale on Gumtree, but many are in rough shape or halfway through a left to right-hand drive conversion.
Always happy to hear when an enthusiast picks one up.

I mostly sourced parts from the states. 'Pontiworld' used to carry Fiero parts, but they're currently selling out their remaining stock.
One tip I learned from another long-time Aussie Fiero owner - If you need anything from 'The Fiero Store', it pays to call them and request a shipping quotation, rather than using their online calculator. Saved $35 (USD) on my last order (small items).

I have a collection of parts I've accumulated over the last eight years. If any Aussie owners are looking for spares, I may be able to help.

Please keep us updated about your Fiero and the upcoming LS swap

------------------
James

RHD 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James_GT:

Hey Mr. Pat, I also live in Melbourne, Australia and have an '87 GT 3.4L.

How's the condition of yours? I've seen a few for sale on Gumtree, but many are in rough shape or halfway through a left to right-hand drive conversion.
Always happy to hear when an enthusiast picks one up.

I mostly sourced parts from the states. 'Pontiworld' used to carry Fiero parts, but they're currently selling out their remaining stock.
One tip I learned from another long-time Aussie Fiero owner - If you need anything from 'The Fiero Store', it pays to call them and request a shipping quotation, rather than using their online calculator. Saved $35 (USD) on my last order (small items).

I have a collection of parts I've accumulated over the last eight years. If any Aussie owners are looking for spares, I may be able to help.

Please keep us updated about your Fiero and the upcoming LS swap

Where in Melbourne are you? Mine is in excellent nick with the exception of the quater windows. He failed to mention that both were stuffed. But I have new ones already, and I will give her a respray too. Other than it being 30yrs old with the odd thing that happens to old cars its tip top. Conversion was done in I think 92. It's a mirror swap and from everything I can see it was done properly. Don't see them come up very often, so I nabbed the first one I could find that wasn't over priced or belted to Hell and back and still has the original Fiero interior, just RHD.

I've actually gotten the ball rolling with my swap now. I have purchased an L67 which has been rebuilt, forged pistons and a cam. That's now sitting in my back porch. I'm on a list for a plug and play harness and poly mounts. Just looks like I will need possibly an oil pan from the states? and an intake apparently. The intake i'm sure could be engineered from something over here. What do y'all do for the exhaust manifolds? Mine has come with big F off Pacemaker extractors which will definitely not work.

As for the LS4, I don't think we even have a car over here with that motor in it. LS's are everywhere. I have one in my Senator. But looking back on my LT1 it was almost completely custom so I wanted it to be as simple as possible with as many OTC parts as possible. Plus with cops not knowing what this car is I might be able to get away without engineering it for a while.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr. Pat

1860 posts
Member since Apr 2003

Originally posted by thefierofarm.com:

Let me know if i can help. I have sent fiero parts all over the world in the past. (It's crazy where these things are) I might need your input on cheapest way to ship but I have a pretty good collection of parts.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Shipping via boat is the cheapest for future reference, just not the quickest!!

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it
James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

Where in Melbourne are you? Mine is in excellent nick with the exception of the quater windows. He failed to mention that both were stuffed. But I have new ones already, and I will give her a respray too. Other than it being 30yrs old with the odd thing that happens to old cars its tip top. Conversion was done in I think 92. It's a mirror swap and from everything I can see it was done properly. Don't see them come up very often, so I nabbed the first one I could find that wasn't over priced or belted to Hell and back and still has the original Fiero interior, just RHD.

I'm in the eastern suburbs, yourself?

Your GT sounds like a great find, I'm sure it will be a perfect base for an L67 swap.
The quarter windows on mine were the originals, they went to pieces a year after I bought it.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm in the eastern suburbs, yourself?

Your GT sounds like a great find, I'm sure it will be a perfect base for an L67 swap.
The quarter windows on mine were the originals, they went to pieces a year after I bought it.

I have a house in Frankston and the Gippsland. Right now in the South East more often than not, but I will be heavily in Gippy starting next week........Yeah pretty excited. Almost have everything needed!

James_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2018 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

I have a house in Frankston and the Gippsland. Right now in the South East more often than not, but I will be heavily in Gippy starting next week........Yeah pretty excited. Almost have everything needed!

Gippsland has some fun roads, I took my '87 GT there about a year ago and explored a couple of the national parks.

Have you been to SN@P (Saturday night at the Peninsula) at the Baxter BP? It's a free weekly car show. There's usually a couple of Pontiacs there, but I'm yet to see another Fiero.
Hoping to take mine again soon, but I'm halfway through replacing the heater core in a RHD converted car.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gippsland has some fun roads, I took my '87 GT there about a year ago and explored a couple of the national parks.

Have you been to SN@P (Saturday night at the Peninsula) at the Baxter BP? It's a free weekly car show. There's usually a couple of Pontiacs there, but I'm yet to see another Fiero.
Hoping to take mine again soon, but I'm halfway through replacing the heater core in a RHD converted car.

No I haven't but thats only about 20 mins from me. Mate of mine has a Firebird, might go check it out

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock