new to me 87 by ethansfiero
Started on: 11-15-2017 07:32 PM
Replies: 18 (695 views)
Last post by: boostedbird on 11-25-2017 09:36 PM
ethansfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethansfieroSend a Private Message to ethansfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, I am a new member here. I recently bought a 1987 fiero for my kid, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, ac, one owner 68,700 miles. My kid is only 13 so I will register it as an antique and use it for weekend driving until he is old enough to drive. I was actually 13 when the fiero was released and remembering someone a few streets over have a silver 2m4. I really liked the look of the fiero and have always wanted one.

So far I am very impressed with the condition of the car. The paint is nice for the age, the headliner is starting to fall but looks repairable, the drivers seat has some upholstery issues. The previous owner used it for a second car and never drove it in the winter and stored the car indoors. I think I scored a nice car. My kid is very excited.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Car looks great!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2017 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ethan! Looks like there might be room in the garage for another one - should have one for the kid in you too!
More pics including interior, engine compartment, trunk etc are always welcome. Headliners are not too expensive to replace yourself or professionally.https://www.fierostore.com/Product/Browse.aspx?d=264&p=1
That might be a record number of interests on your profile... or maybe there's someone interesting on the other end of the line?

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 11-15-2017).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking 87

Welcome to the forum!
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2017 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What a nice father who would think ahead for his son!

A nice Fiero, indeed!

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!!! Beautiful car, I love the blue 💙 You are in the right place for Fiero info, advice, ideas, etc
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think seeing that shine it's sealed the deal which color to paint my '87 GT. That blue is awesome.

Future plans??
ethansfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethansfieroSend a Private Message to ethansfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for the positive feedback. Just to clarify my name is Sam my kid who I bought the care for is Ethan. My plan with the car is to drive it a bit and figure out where it is mechanically. I am confident it is in good mechanical condition. The car was bought off ebay after a brief conversation with the owner. When he told me he did not drive it in the winter I felt it was a nice car.

After driving for a bit I will go thru the car and fix any mechanical and cosmetic deficiencies. I am hoping to end up with a solid daily driver for my kid when he is old enough to drive. I have already cautioned him that this make not be a year round driver for him as we live in the north east and at this point I think the car is too nice to expose to winter driving. He is fine with that. I have never owned or even driven a Fiero, I just have always been a fan of them. I am quietly hoping that after driving one I become "hooked" on wanting my own.

I am looking forward to tapping the depth of knowledge that is available here when it is needed.

Sam
ethansfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethansfieroSend a Private Message to ethansfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the Fiero insured and registered, drove it to work today. First time driving a Fiero, all went well. The car drives nice, handles well, tracks straight, overall a good driving car. I went to get an inspection sticker after work, the car passed and I have a fully legal driving 1987 Fiero, oops my kid has a fully legal driving Fiero.

After the inspection I had few stops, all was going well with the car, after my last stop dusk was quickly going to dark, I turned on the headlights and only one popped up. No big deal with the repair that will be needed, but I lucked out huge because the headlights were turned on at the inspection station and they both worked.

Sam
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good score man that looks super clean! throw up some interior pics, bet its pristine

shem
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ethansfiero:
....I turned on the headlights and only one popped up. No big deal with the repair that will be needed, but I lucked out huge because the headlights were turned on at the inspection station and they both worked.

Welcome to the forum. Nice coupe, the Blue was available for 87 only making it a pretty rare color.

The headlight fix is easy, the torque pins that ware out are replaceable.
They can be bought from http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=32&products_id=231

Here a pic showing the whole rebuilding process.
//www.fiero.nl/uploads/light1.jpg

A quick trick, raise the hood, then flip the light switch on, the side that's having the problem should go up, this takes the load off the motor until you replace the torque pins.

Again, welcome, you've come the right place !

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-17-2017).]

ethansfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethansfieroSend a Private Message to ethansfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed the headlight today. Took the motor out and took the gear cover off and the three drive studs were crumbles. I took a quick trip to work turned up three new ones, put it all back together and all is well. I attached some additional pictures to this post. This is a pretty cool little car.

[This message has been edited by ethansfiero (edited 11-18-2017).]

boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking coupe, always love the blue 87s.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking 87, that color looks fantastic.

Welcome to the forum.
ethansfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethansfieroSend a Private Message to ethansfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the Fiero on a road trip today. 190 miles to my thanksgiving diner location. The car ran great. I have he been dealing with a minor clutch issue. I think I have a bad seal in the master leading to tough shifting if the clutch is held in for a bit. With this issue city traffic was less than perfect but not a huge problem.

I have not driven a pushrod 4 cylinder for a long time, and I am quite impressed with the drivability of the iron duke. The motor pulls very well and is happy to be lugged. I can cruise at 40 in 4th and the engine is running 2000 ish rpm and totally happy. I think this is going to be a very fun car to own. I already told my kid I might grinch it from him. Only kidding with him, but I may be looking for one for myself.
Sam
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking car. The '87-'88 coupes/formulas are the best looking Fieros, in my humble opinion, and blue is the best color. Welcome to the forum.
ethansfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2017 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethansfieroSend a Private Message to ethansfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed out the clutch master cylinder this afternoon. Finally got it bled well, the car is shifting very well. The clutch previously engaged at the very bottom of letting off the pedal and sometimes would creep with full depression of the pedal. Now it grabs mid pedal. Drops into gear effortlessly. $21 bucks well spent.
Sam
boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it's coming around, it should be a great driver! It deserves to be enjoyed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock