707 HP Hellcat Fiero? by liv4God
Started on: 11-07-2017 04:03 AM
Replies: 50 (2170 views)
Last post by: engine man on 01-06-2018 10:20 PM
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Mopar 6.2L 707HP V8 found in the challenger hellcat is now selling as a complete crate engine and can come complete with engine management system!
Read about it here.
Anyone want to put one of those in a Fiero!? I bet it would be totally AWESOME! I wonder how difficult it would be compared to other engine swaps and if there is enough room (without severe modification)? What transmission could handle that kind of power?
Lets dream and discuss the possibilities and ramifications of such.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will be too long at back need to stretch car.
tampalinc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the one that caught my attention.

Honda Has A 306 HP Crate Engine From The Civic Type R If You Want To Go Racing
https://jalopnik.com/honda-...-type-r-i-1819975856
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2017 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tampalinc:

Lot of power in a 4 cylinder turbo but how much would the engine do without the boost. Can boost anything though,
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tampalinc:

Probably a lot more practical and better gas milage of course. But who wouldn't want 700 horses!
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4God

733 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by Australian:

Will be too long at back need to stretch car.

So the width of the Hellcat is wider than the Fiero opening? Perhaps the space could be taken from the trunk?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

Probably a lot more practical and better gas milage of course. But who wouldn't want 700 horses!

Have you ever driven a 400 hp Fiero?
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

So the width of the Hellcat is wider than the Fiero opening? Perhaps the space could be taken from the trunk?

I think the problem is that the Hellcat motor is a longitudinally mounted motor and the Fiero is set up for a transversely mounted motor. It's possible (I have no idea) that, even if you could turn the Hellcat motor 90*, it would still be too big to fit between the wheelwells.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would seem more practical to install an LS4, then install a Supercharger and you could get a lot of HP from that....That engine is actually set up to mount transversely.....The Chryco engine would need a bell-housing adapter, completely different-custom engine mounts.....And I believe it has an IRON block which would add a lot of weight to the backend.....The LS4 is almost a bolt in, ALL-Aluminum engine.....Bore and stroke it a bit and get 363 CI (6 liters) and then blow the dickens out of it.....and it would only add 20-30 lbs- before Turbo or super charging, inter-cooling, etc.

Most importantly, get the chassis right first so it can deal with that power.....
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was also very intrigued about that new Honda motor and my first thought was putting one into a Fiero. Honestly you would have best of both worlds.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are so fixed on HP that we forget about weight. The important formula is power to weight ratio. My Fiero weights 2133 and the engine puts out 286BHP, thats 15% drivetrain loss to make you feel better. My power to weight ratio is better than this:
505BHP LS7,7 Liter Camaro Z28 Track Edition weighting 3862lbs and costing $75,000.
I'm glad I stuck with my Fiero. Ok, I don't have AC, Radio, Power windows, Magnetig shocks, and whatever other gadgets but my tiny Fiero can give this thoroughbred Camaro a run for its money! $75000 vs $3000 is a pretty darn difference in price! The Camaro has an army of engineers behind it and my Fiero only has me.
So I'm proud or "Fiero" to own my little Fiero and you should be proud our your Fiero as well!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 11-19-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also like my Fiero- I only have 155-160 hp...But I also have 200 Lb/Ft of torque...Coming in at 2600....Love the "Grunt"...Not impressed by HP per STATIC displacement- Most of those buzzer engines don't really do much better in the "Air processed per minute per HP" calculation- (A 3 liter engine at 6000 rpm is pumping the same amount of air (Basically) as a 6 liter engine turning 3000 rpm.....No one ever talks actual PUMPED air per HP...That is a real comparison)....The little engines tend to have very narrow power bands...Turbos and VVT help a lot- but turbo lag for a sports car dicing canyon roads is not what I want......

Install a 400 hp LS/LT engine in a Fiero and see if you can drive the car......I had a 1999 Formula with 310 hp/3400 lbs....That was a bunch of power- even with traction control...The new mega-HP cars all have a Computer "co-pilot" to help you keep it right-side-up......
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Have you ever driven a 400 hp Fiero?

No, but once I finish rebuilding my 350 with upgraded heads, cam, springs, intake etc I should be over 400 horses. Hopefully I'll finish before Christmas, I'm looking forward to the improvement over the stock sbc!

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 11-20-2017).]

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4God

733 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by La fiera:

We are so fixed on HP that we forget about weight. The important formula is power to weight ratio.

If my math is right 707 horses would give a better power to weight ratio than a Bugatti Veyron :O

So I'm proud or "Fiero" to own my little Fiero and you should be proud our your Fiero as well!

Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my Fiero! Its just fun to think of or do new interesting swaps and changes.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 11-20-2017).]

RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Less weight does mean increased performance in proportion to HP, but you can be too light. The car gets too light, it's like a piece of paper in a windstorm, getting blown all over the place.

The Fiero runs into problems, at least I think, with too much power and not the physical weight to get it planted on the ground. (Not to mention the wheelbase also)

Even with something as simple as dragging, the car can not stabilize well as compared to others.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not too light...But too light-feeling. They have had 1000 HP 911s that weigh approx' 2400 lbs & 88 inch wheelbase.....You need to get the aerodynamics properly sorted, along with suspension.

I have had a few alignment issues that made my Fiero feel like I was walking a tightrope even at 40 mph- Steady-state! I also had a 71 Mustang that floated all over the place at 65 in a cross-wind......The hood had 3000 square inches! So 1/10 of a PSI would create 300 lbs of lift! AND the front end design on that Mustang rammed ALL of the air under the hood! I made an airdam- with lower lip- that channeled the air below the bumper to each side- except the air right in front of the radiator, and then............I BLOCKED off the actual above-the-bumper grill! The car took all it's air from below the bumper, the rest packed up and then went up over the hood to create more down-force...Had it up to 90+ passing three semis and it was rock-solid! (Also, with 5.0 FI engine + 4 spd auto I averaged 24 mpg on my highway trip! (LESS drag-even with the blocked off grill- The air was not lifting the car up anymore)

Aero can be a confusing problem to deal with...Example; Everyone designs their spoilers sticking up at the trunk lip.....Instead, just make it stick straight out horizontally.....Doesn't create a lot of pressure on top.................But what do you have underneath? The vacuum from the back of the car! Vacuum is as good as high pressure, and you create less DRAG....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Everyone designs their spoilers sticking up at the trunk lip.....Instead, just make it stick straight out horizontally.....Doesn't create a lot of pressure on top.................But what do you have underneath? The vacuum from the back of the car! Vacuum is as good as high pressure, and you create less DRAG....

Are you referring to air-foils similar to what came from the factory on my Subie wagon?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-20-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting engines w/ higher HP/Torque isn't a problem.... Finding a trans and other drivetrain parts that won't break even for 200-300hp range that fits in whatever car often is much harder.
Example Most 4Txx HP/Torque ratings are peak values (and temporally) at input shaft before adding whatever TC torque boost. And the #'s are very low even for HD units.

If you find trans that last, next weak part will fail.
Many that race even for a weekend have broke trans, twist axles, etc, behind low HP liki like NA 3.1 to 3.8 V6 and small V8 and not just Fiero. Even OE l4 and V6 for Fiero can fry axles joints or wheel bearings for Autox...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-20-2017).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lighter the better, but you have to have the mechanical grip in order to make it work. My Fiero doesnt wander at low or high speed.
I have it were it can turn fast very sharp and its very stable at high speed and also braking at a fast rate.
Must of it in the alignment, its not way near to what the factory recommends. My next thing is to work on the aero package.

https://youtu.be/Ps9PgmKFuNw
Radar read about 140 mph and the car was pretty steady.

But going back to the weight thing look at this:

1200+BHP in qualifying trim and 1190lbs
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, look at the back of a Fiero (Either version) and think of a "Kick-tail" blended in, sticking way up.....It creates high pressure in front / on top, and low pressure- or vacuum- behind/ underneath.......But if you just make it basically so it comes straight out horizontally you get the same vacuum underneath, a bit less pressure on top, and almost no ADDED drag.

I wish I could post a pic of the FRONT airdam/ blocked off grill on my 71 Mustang......It sucked the car down hard to the ground, and eliminated drag....I had quite a few people tell me that blocking off the grill was WRONG!!! A) It would cause the car to overheat, and B) cause more drag- "Better to let the air flow thru the grill!" That car never even suggested overheating...Because there was LOW pressure BEHIND the radiator.....If I had left that grill open, it would have packed too much air in under the hood and the air coming thru the lower opening would have had nowhere to go.

My Father was an aircraft mechanic, and I was an aircraft nut my whole life- I knew all about the venturi effect before I could do math...

Edit to add; Yes Patrick, your upper spoiler is basically like what I am saying...(Side note; A "Station wagon is usually more aerodynamic than the sedan it was based on...)

Also, yes La Fiera, F1 cars are at the extreme of light-weight/ High HP........

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 11-20-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...if you just make it basically so it comes straight out horizontally you get the same vacuum underneath, a bit less pressure on top, and almost no ADDED drag.

So, you're referring to a Pro-Mod spoiler?

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the basic idea....The funny thing about my 71 Mustang is the back end is very aerodynamic (Kamm effect)....But the front end was as bad as you could make it(ALL of the air to hit below the hood line was forced into the engine compartment with nowhere to go!)

I am starting to mold a spoiler onto a spare decklid for my Fiero....It will extend the curve of the GT "C" pillar and the curve of the taillight cove.....Come off the backend at approx a 25 degree angle......And yes, sometimes a kick-tail style spoiler can help drag, say on a sedan where you get too much rear-window created vacuum on the decklid......Sorry if I sound like a teacher in high school...I just run into a lot of people who have no idea about aero......I must sound...BOR-RING!
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually I'm pretty intrigued bt learning more about aero. Also howd you get your fiero under 2200lbs? And what engine?

Im with the sentiment expressed earlier, having a high horsepower car that you need a computer to detune while you drive it to keep it straight iant too impressive
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

We are so fixed on HP that we forget about weight. The important formula is power to weight ratio. My Fiero weights 2133 and the engine puts out 286BHP,

What did you take off to get so light? And what engine are you running?

Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rn2016

164 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Less weight does mean increased performance in proportion to HP, but you can be too light. The car gets too light, it's like a piece of paper in a windstorm, getting blown all over the place.

The Fiero runs into problems, at least I think, with too much power and not the physical weight to get it planted on the ground. (Not to mention the wheelbase also)

Even with something as simple as dragging, the car can not stabilize well as compared to others.

Is there a consensus as to what is an appropriate amount of power for the Fiero chassis?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That all depends on how well you tune your chassis; If you don't do anything to the chassis, then probably not over 200 hp- anything more would be a handful......But if you can tune it properly, you can put a bunch more into it.....Properly set up, a Fiero should be able to handle upwards of 4-500 hp...

The big thing with mid-engine cars is you have to balance between good turn-in and drop-throttle oversteer......If you get good turn-in, then you will probably have dangerous DTO (Meaning.....You enter a turn a bit too hot, cut the throttle, and the rear swings around- FAST!)

I have done odd things with my stabilizer bars to get good turn-in AND very little DTO.....
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cvxjet:That all depends on how well you tune your chassis; If you don't do anything to the chassis, then probably not over 200 hp- anything more would be a handful......But if you can tune it properly, you can put a bunch more into it.....Properly set up, a Fiero should be able to handle upwards of 4-500 hp...
I don't know. Sounds like a lot and unnecessary for a car that size and weight.

Originally posted by cvxjet:The big thing with mid-engine cars is you have to balance between good turn-in and drop-throttle oversteer......If you get good turn-in, then you will probably have dangerous DTO (Meaning.....You enter a turn a bit too hot, cut the throttle, and the rear swings around- FAST!)
Oh ok. I know it as lift off oversteer.

Originally posted by cvxjet:I have done odd things with my stabilizer bars to get good turn-in AND very little DTO.....

Such as what?

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the problem.

#1 if the engine fits and you can get transaxle that will not break you will never get the power to the ground.

The present C7 is limited to 755 HP as that is all they can get to the ground.

The Hellcat has more power than it can use and just having s big number mean little.

The cost would be enough you could buy a used ZR1 by the time you get it tight and you would still be missing the engineering and technology.

This is big picture stuff. And not realistic. Just because you could go it does not always mean it is a good idea.

Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Here is the problem.

#1 if the engine fits and you can get transaxle that will not break you will never get the power to the ground.

The present C7 is limited to 755 HP as that is all they can get to the ground.

The Hellcat has more power than it can use and just having s big number mean little.

The cost would be enough you could buy a used ZR1 by the time you get it tight and you would still be missing the engineering and technology.

This is big picture stuff. And not realistic. Just because you could go it does not always mean it is a good idea.

This is a very intelligent and practical way to look at it. Indeed I think many of these types of projects the person would end up spending as much as the price of a much better car. Which in the end only leaves one reason for it, because you really, really, really want it, because it's unique or something like that. But it can't be only about performance when the same money would buy you something better and more modern.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive had that thought a few times as i consider the idea of an engine swap. Unless i did it myself (probably wouldn't turn out well) I'd be better off for the money buying a C5 or C6 vette with over 50k miles
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much doe the C5 and C6 Corvettes with over 50k on the clock cost over there?

Although Corvette is not rear mid engine though. So not as exotic. The thing is if you want rear mid engine, the price goes substantially up from a Fiero. So you have some to spend before going overboard if it must be rear mid engine.
PFF
System Bot
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C5s probably about 15k, c6 about 20. Yeah, i know, my fave exotic is a ferrari f355. Fiero GT has some similar styling features, probably explains my love for fieros. But its ridiculous money to gwt one of those, and ridiculous maintenence costs. Maybe a C8 mid engined vette in about 15 years might be somewhat affordable in the mid engine and fast category.

Someday i hope to do a 2.0T ecotec at or shortly under 300hp. Im sure itd be fast enough to get me into plenty of trouble if i wasnt careful
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pHoOl

2496 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Unfortunately nobody on here is doing turn key ecotec swaps...at least yet
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rn2016:

Such as what?

Long ago (1990 or so) I was impressed with the Porsche Weissach suspension, which deflects to help your various handling situations.....But I owned a 1973 Mustang, which had a solid rear axle.....After much head scratching I came up with a theory; Mount the rear stabilizer bar solid/hard, and then go to a slightly larger front bar, but mount it soft...The idea is that as you first turn in, the rear bar is functioning, giving you good turn-in, while the front bar is still working thru the rubber bushings....As the "G"s build, the car rolls fully and the front bar starts to function, and because it's bigger, it quickly backs the car off to understeer.....My Mustang was like a big happy puppy dog- would not bite you, but it had great turn-in, yet you could really punch it coming out of the turn.

On my Fiero, I went one step farther; I did some checking and found that stabilizer bars are softest at "horizontal" to the "vertical" force...Change the bar arms to a 30 degree angle and it is stiffer, so in front I used 1.5" longer links, and in back (85 SE V6 w/88 rear) I mounted the bar 3/4" lower on the frame and then made custom strut brackets and used RD short solid links which are shorter than stock........The concept is to use the small amount of dive and squat to vary the stiffness of the bars.

Bottom line is that it has what I would call "Telepathic turn-in" and very mild DTO.....Coming out of a turn I can just about floor it because the rear tires have extra traction as you come out of the turn. The steering feels substantially quicker than what it originally felt like because it turns in so aggressively.....

Some people have called me nuts.......(They may be right.....)

Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Long ago (1990 or so) I was impressed with the Porsche Weissach suspension, which deflects to help your various handling situations.....But I owned a 1973 Mustang, which had a solid rear axle.....After much head scratching I came up with a theory; Mount the rear stabilizer bar solid/hard, and then go to a slightly larger front bar, but mount it soft...The idea is that as you first turn in, the rear bar is functioning, giving you good turn-in, while the front bar is still working thru the rubber bushings....As the "G"s build, the car rolls fully and the front bar starts to function, and because it's bigger, it quickly backs the car off to understeer.....My Mustang was like a big happy puppy dog- would not bite you, but it had great turn-in, yet you could really punch it coming out of the turn.

On my Fiero, I went one step farther; I did some checking and found that stabilizer bars are softest at "horizontal" to the "vertical" force...Change the bar arms to a 30 degree angle and it is stiffer, so in front I used 1.5" longer links, and in back (85 SE V6 w/88 rear) I mounted the bar 3/4" lower on the frame and then made custom strut brackets and used RD short solid links which are shorter than stock........The concept is to use the small amount of dive and squat to vary the stiffness of the bars.

Bottom line is that it has what I would call "Telepathic turn-in" and very mild DTO.....Coming out of a turn I can just about floor it because the rear tires have extra traction as you come out of the turn. The steering feels substantially quicker than what it originally felt like because it turns in so aggressively.....

Some people have called me nuts.......(They may be right.....)

Nuts I don't know. But sounds very interesting. Do you have pictures to help understanding it? Maybe you took before and after pics?
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rn2016

164 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Unfortunately nobody on here is doing turn key ecotec swaps...at least yet

You want to put a Ford in a Pontiac?

Now being serious, that would be good for me if somebody would come up with a kit as Ecotecs are plenty around here in Europe. Then I could have an easy swap without either having to import a 3800 SC from the U.S. or buying a full Pontiac Grand Prix here just to take the engine and bits or worse, having to go the distance on my own to do a swap that has never been done using an European engine.

[This message has been edited by Rn2016 (edited 11-28-2017).]

Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rn2016

164 posts
Member since Aug 2016

C5s probably about 15k, c6 about 20. Yeah, i know, my fave exotic is a ferrari f355. Fiero GT has some similar styling features, probably explains my love for fieros. But its ridiculous money to gwt one of those, and ridiculous maintenence costs. Maybe a C8 mid engined vette in about 15 years might be somewhat affordable in the mid engine and fast category.

Someday i hope to do a 2.0T ecotec at or shortly under 300hp. Im sure itd be fast enough to get me into plenty of trouble if i wasnt careful

355 is also my favorite V8 Ferrari. I think the maintenance is the silliest part. Not only the price but what's involved.

I hope the mid engine Vette will look good. I don't really like the look of the concepts I have seen and the disguised test mules don't really show much. What I always liked about the Fiero is that it looks to have been designed in Italy. This is why I always liked it and never liked the look of the Corvettes or the Cadillac sports cars. It is looking like the C8 will be more like the sport Cadillac concepts and sport cars than like an Italian looking exotic. We will see.

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ecotec is gm... the 2.2na, 2.4na, 2.0 turbo and lsj. I think you're thinking of the ecoboost as a ford
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ecotec is gm... the 2.2na, 2.4na, 2.0 turbo and lsj. I think you're thinking of the ecoboost as a ford

Yep, I was thinking of the Ford V6s. I see the GM Ecotec is only 4 cylinders though.

But at least they are plenty and easy to find here as they came out in several Opels and also Saab.

But wouldn't solve my problem. I need to swap in a V6 here in Europe and the 3800 SC is as rare as hen's teeth here.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey RN2016, I will try to take some (Only after) pics and fully explain what you are seeing, both the stabilizer bars and teh Aero I did on the front of my 73 (71) Mustang.....The Stang is long gone but I took a bunch of pics of the airdam 'cause it worked so well.

I will do a separate post for all of this....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock