Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Identify these low profile headlights? (pics inside)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Identify these low profile headlights? (pics inside) by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 11-06-2017 08:09 PM
Replies: 9 (436 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-07-2017 01:24 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just acquired these low-profile headlights and I would like to know something about them. I know I have seen a picture of these before due to the angled mounting hardware but I can't place it.

If anyone knows anything about the following I would appreciate it.

- Source? Who made them. Website?
- Cost? Curious about what they cost or what they are worth.
- Complete? - Are these plug and play, or is there something missing from this set? The harnesses on each look different.
- Gen2 compatible? I don't want to plug them in and blow something electrical.
- Legal to use? I'm in California...
- Effective? Do they work well? Throw adequate light?
- Pictures? Have any pictures (or links) mounted in a Fiero? (Mine is a red GT but anything will do)
- What is that stray red wire in the third pic?

Here are some pics...

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 11-06-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the Munson kit, no longer produced. Very similar to a Norms kit but with a nicer moulded cover.That is about all I know about them unfortunately.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look like a munson set. While look nice have several problems. use search.

Wiring looks like they cutout of Fiero and might be radiator fan relay w/ red wire. Still has OE gray HL sockets too.

Guide bulbs are just a GM brand. If they still use this, not sure after parts spin-off to create Delphi. (Delphi doesn't make most parts now after they went bankrupt too.) DOT and other bulb markets doesn't mean much to most people but 90 is first year made of that design not the actual year made.
If you look at most Fiero and other external light fixtures at DOT label... the manufacturer is Guide not GM.
See my Cave, Lighbulbs at bottom.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that is the Kris Munson kit. I used to own one of those kits. I sold it and replaced it with something better. The beam pattern wasn't very good, and light output was anemic. Even with fog lights to supplement the headlights, the light output was still inferior to the OEM headlights.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a set, too. High and low beams in each individual side weren't synched so if you got one properly aimed, the other was way off. If you adjusted high beam, you moved low beam at the same time. Low and sided to side beam scatter was very restricted due to the deep recess into the cavity.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone tell me what the stray red wire in the 3rd picture is, what it connects to?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I zoom in that...
Not a fan relay... some generic relay for HL bulbs and maybe a Fuse

Looks like 2 gray plugs plug into each other. seem to have metal pieces to do this.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to recall the setup, but not sure. The stubbed out red wire splices to the hot wire of the fan relay. The black fixture that the 2 red wires enter was a fuse holder, I believe. The larger black harness end plugged into a relay. It was a generic relay and as I recall, it was something like $7 at the parts stores.

The gray plugs plug into the factory headlight bulb harness. These have 3 male plugs to replicate the terminals on the original sealed beam units.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-07-2017).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Trying to recall the setup, but not sure. The stubbed out red wire splices to the hot wire of the fan relay. The black fixture that the 2 red wires enter was a fuse holder, I believe. The larger black harness end plugged into a relay. It was a generic relay and as I recall, it was something like $7 at the parts stores.

The gray plugs plug into the factory headlight bulb harness. These have 3 male plugs to replicate the terminals on the original sealed beam units.

Yes, the smaller black fixture seems to be a fuse holder. The larger black fixture could be a relay. I have no idea where the fan relay is but I will check. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fan Relay is the large relay on the front wall, in front of the left headlight. My system was tapped into the hot wire.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock